Notification LED on phone not behaving any longer

Until a week ago a blue blinking LED at the top of the screen would indicate a new email or text message. New text messages no longer result in a blinking LED. New emails still trigger the blinking LED. As far as I know there wasn't any recent update and I did not mess with the settings. I have not installed any new apps, so an incompatible app is unlikely. I also checked all settings and everything seems in order. This is driving me up the wall because I now have to turn the phone on to see a notification dot on the messaging app.

This is Android 10 on a CAT phone. The messaging app is Messages.
I have booted the phone, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled Messages.

Do not disturb is "off"
battery optimization is "off"

phone settings -> display -> LED is "on"
Settings -> apps&notifications ->advanced -> blink light is "on"

message settings ->notifications ->show notifications is "on"
incoming messages is "on"

I'm overlooking something! :poop:

Last edited:
You'll find it only after you stop trying... My android randomly changes notification settings about thrice a year, and it takes me an hour to test out all the settings.. I get pissed, give up. Then next time I screw with it, its magically back.

Until a week ago a blue blinking LED at the top of the screen would indicate a new email or text message.
What phone is that? I've been looking for a phone that has a separate blinking light for messages like my previous phones had but never found one. It might be days before I notice I received a new text or voice mail.

What phone is that? I've been looking for a phone that has a separate blinking light for messages like my previous phones had but never found one. It might be days before I notice I received a new text or voice mail.
All CAT phones have the notification LED. Blinking red LED means means battery is below 15%.. Solid red LED means low battery being charged. Green LED means battery is above 90% and being charged. Blinking blue means application notification. Apparently it can't be trusted to work. Although, considering all the online complaints regardless of phone brand, this feature appears unreliable and rather related to Android than the phone. You may be better off installing an app that will flash your camera strobe when you get a new text or email. Look for Flash Alert or Flash Notification. It will probably drain the battery quickly, though. At least you won't miss the alert.

Last edited:
What's a CAT phone? Is that the brand name? I keep the phone on a table by the front door. It could be hours before I see it again if not overnight so the battery would go dead.

What's a CAT phone? Is that the brand name? I keep the phone on a table by the front door. It could be hours before I see it again if not overnight so the battery would go dead.
Caterpillar. These are rugged phones meeting MIL- SPEC 810H. Made by Bullitt Group Ltd.

Back