"Nothing performs like Mobil 1"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JoeFromPA
Can someone tell me why exactly I should be impressed with an engine that, most likely, was run non-stop at a moderate engine rpm for 15,000 miles at a time in a probably enclosed, room temperature, clean environment, received an oil change, and then continued running in such a pattern until 200,000 miles?

I agree that data from real cars would be more compelling, but you can't just speculate that Mobil's testing is unrealistic and then assume that is the case.

A lot of companies rely on Mobil 1, and Mobil relies on those endorsements FAR more than on consumer opinion. There is no reason for them to use tests that are totally unrealistic. Your mileage may vary, as they say, but the example isn't completely worthless.

All the majors do a lot of fleet testing along with bench/engine sequence testing.

Can someone tell me why exactly I should be impressed with an engine that, most likely, was run non-stop at a moderate engine rpm for 15,000 miles at a time in a probably enclosed, room temperature, clean environment, received an oil change, and then continued running in such a pattern until 200,000 miles?

I like the "NYC Cab" scenario much more than a car run on a dyno.

Give me a car that receives 2-4 cold starts a day, in a mildly polluted outside environment with temperatures ranging from 10-100 degrees fahrenheit, and is driven on average 75 miles a day. Show me how that car's engine looks after 200,000 miles of said oil and 15,000 mile oil changes.

That's what a "real world test" is...

Joe

You said you wanted a cab test.

Here's one.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Videos/TV.aspx

Field test

Last edited:
Even though I'm retired, a machine shop called and ask me to come in and do some work for a few days, and when I got back home I find all hades has broken out on the Mobil 1 post. What's going on.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
... and Mobil relies on those endorsements FAR more than on consumer opinion....

If not to influence consumer opinion via endorsement, then who's?

also I honestly cant take these infomercial-style "torture tests" seriously. They prove little to nothing. Funny how the 'testers' always choose large, low-output V8s and mislead people into thinking that continuously running at EOT is somehow BAD and not GOOD like it really is. They also mislead people into thinking that a 100degreeF ambient temperature will somehow cook an engine oil that sees 220+F temperatures, even in winter. Sneaky sneaky, low-ball marketing deception at it's finest... that gets the gas-face. Show me a 3rd party load dyno test using a high-output turbo engine running at it's peak power at full boost and maybe I'll do a double take. Until then, M1 is no better than Motorcraft to a taxi cab.

Thanks, Johnny - that was fun to watch.

Mobil 1 is excellent oil, (I used it for my 5.0L Mustang in the '90s).

I do have to say that with mostly "highway driving", aspirating clean air from the dyno room and no real "cold starts", I'm not surprised at the low wear rates or lack of sludge.

Originally Posted By: tig1

I like the "NYC Cab" scenario much more than a car run on a dyno.

Give me a car that receives 2-4 cold starts a day, in a mildly polluted outside environment with temperatures ranging from 10-100 degrees fahrenheit, and is driven on average 75 miles a day. Show me how that car's engine looks after 200,000 miles of said oil and 15,000 mile oil changes.

That's what a "real world test" is...

Joe

You said you wanted a cab test.

Here's one.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Videos/TV.aspx

Field test
Hopefully you are not showing the [censored] Las Vegas taxi test...
crackmeup2.gif

That was a total JOKE. You can see sludge in the Mobil 1 motors and I hope no one here falls for any part of that "test".
smirk2.gif

Since your link just goes to every marketing "story" Mobil has on their web site, I'm not sure which one you are telling us to view?

Bill
The sludge was in the dino engine, not the M1 engine. And yes it is the Las Vegas test. What joke?

nothing performs like ??? Is that good or bad? does it perform better than dino or other synthetics or wesson oil or what? Good safe marketing i guess..

What gets me is that everyone dismisses this test as trash except it is the nearly the full representation of what the sequence IVA and many other API tests try to reproduce. Granted the detractors have some footing in that the cylinder head temperatures are much cooler in the IVA test, but the taxis are still a real life test. Also the test was done with the Mobil 1 EP formula, so there is another argument for the detractors. Either way, real world results are more important to me than any lab test.

My Dad, uncle and I were chatting about this the other day. My Dad is a certified mechanic of over 30 years, and my uncle has been doing the same work for nearly 40 years. Note that I'm not saying they can't be wrong. Both agree that Mobil 1 regular is more so of a 5,000 to 7,500 mile oil now based on the specs it is going after and meets. The Mobil 1 EP is more of the extended drain that people remember with the "old" Mobil 1 from back in the day with the long drain intervals.

Just for spite I think I may go buy some Mobil 1 for my vehicles, install it, and sleep like a baby at night knowing it's in there. Wouldn't that be a radical though thinking that I spent a fair amount of money, but I got a pretty good oil in return?

Last edited:
There was sludge in the Mobil 1 engine.

Is there ANYONE who thinks that running conventional oil for 15k is a valid test? Show me a MFG who recommends a 15k OCI in severe service.

Also is everyone happy with 100k or so as an acceptable life of a engine? If the taxi test was worth anything, then they should have run Mobil 1 to 45k OCIs. (since Mobil 1 is SOOO good...) And then lets take apart the engine @ 300k and see where things are.

Lets take Mobil 5000 and run the engine 5k ocis. Let's take Mobil 1 EP to 15k ocis. (run the oils which MOBIL rated THEIR oils)

Then take apart (and SHOW photos, not some millisecond video shots) the engines @ 300k and SHOW the wear.

DO that with 5 motors each. Post the data with photos and lets see how well Mobil 1 EP does.

Bet all the Mobil 5000 motors will be just as good as the Mobil 1 motors.

Let me see that test. Then I'll have judgment in a valid test.

Running Mobil 5000 oil to 15k... Yeah.. Some "test"
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
There was sludge in the Mobil 1 engine.

Is there ANYONE who thinks that running conventional oil for 15k is a valid test? Show me a MFG who recommends a 15k OCI in severe service.

Also is everyone happy with 100k or so as an acceptable life of a engine? If the taxi test was worth anything, then they should have run Mobil 1 to 45k OCIs. (since Mobil 1 is SOOO good...) And then lets take apart the engine @ 300k and see where things are.

Lets take Mobil 5000 and run the engine 5k ocis. Let's take Mobil 1 EP to 15k ocis. (run the oils which MOBIL rated THEIR oils)

Then take apart (and SHOW photos, not some millisecond video shots) the engines @ 300k and SHOW the wear.

DO that with 5 motors each. Post the data with photos and lets see how well Mobil 1 EP does.

Bet all the Mobil 5000 motors will be just as good as the Mobil 1 motors.

Let me see that test. Then I'll have judgment in a valid test.

Running Mobil 5000 oil to 15k... Yeah.. Some "test"
crackmeup2.gif

I agree with Bill here, 15K OCI's on dino, what did they expect? I'm not saying Mobil1 is a bad oil, because I believe it's a good oil, but this test proves nothing. They need to do apples to apples testing. Maybe even perform this test against another syn oil in order to be fair.

The purpose of the test was to show that if oil is abused, then Mobil 1 oil will prevent sludge in situations where sludge might otherwise occur. The test was specifically to compare Mobil 1 synthetic against conventional oil. Mobil did not say or infer that sludge would occur with other synthetic brands.

I think people would be surprised how many situations occur where conventional oil is pushed to 15000 miles or beyond. Even if only 1% of cars go 15,000 OCI due to ignorance or neglect, that would be 2.5 million cars i the US alone. I think the number is at least 10%, so that would be 25 million cars that are abused. This may be decreasing in the future as some new cars warn people when an oil change is due.

The king of current advertising claims regarding sludge is Castrol, who claims that their conventional GTX does a better job of preventing sludge than other oils, without any proof or tests that I know of.

Mark 888,

You have it right. Many people, due to neglect, push their OCI way beyond the limits of dino. Happens all the time. that's why engines sludge up. As a long time M1 user I know from experience there is a much higher limit you can run M1 or other good synt. oils as far as OCIS are concerned. That's all Mobil was showing in their clip.

Bill,
I see no conspiracy her to figure out. Mobil is showing the public at large the difference between their Synt. and the oil they may be using.

A friend of mine once ran ~35,000 miles without an oil change on Wal Mart Supertech dino because he "never got around to it"...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mark888
The purpose of the test was to show that if oil is abused, then Mobil 1 oil will prevent sludge in situations where sludge might otherwise occur. The test was specifically to compare Mobil 1 synthetic against conventional oil. Mobil did not say or infer that sludge would occur with other synthetic brands.

I think people would be surprised how many situations occur where conventional oil is pushed to 15000 miles or beyond. Even if only 1% of cars go 15,000 OCI due to ignorance or neglect, that would be 2.5 million cars i the US alone. I think the number is at least 10%, so that would be 25 million cars that are abused. This may be decreasing in the future as some new cars warn people when an oil change is due.

So you think the person who buys Mobil 1 EP (that means they went and looked for a specific Brand and line of motor oil) is now going to change the oil @ 15k since they could not remember the conventional OCI....

crackmeup2.gif

I guess then they SHOULD be using Amsoil SSO with a 30k OCI since they can not be bothered with remembering the recommended OCI.

Also in the video they spent some time discussing and showing the wear of the Mobil 1 engine but not too much with the conventional.

I seriously doubt there are 10% or 5% of the cars out there doing 15k OCIs on ANYTHING.

Also plenty of cars WILL sludge at less than 15k with ANY oil so I guess they are screwed with Mobil 1.

But since there are people who drink the koolaid and view everything with their colored glasses I'm talking to the wall here.
20.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Mark 888,

You have it right. Many people, due to neglect, push their OCI way beyond the limits of dino. Happens all the time. that's why engines sludge up. As a long time M1 user I know from experience there is a much higher limit you can run M1 or other good synt. oils as far as OCIS are concerned. That's all Mobil was showing in their clip.

Bill,
I see no conspiracy her to figure out. Mobil is showing the public at large the difference between their Synt. and the oil they may be using.
15k with ANY oil is pushing the limit in MANY engines out there.

That test is a joke. I've said it when it came out and will continue to.

If you can not see that the "test" was flawed, then nothing I'm going to say is going to change your view. But you are biased with it.

A person who goes 15k on a oil change is NOT going to care or seek out $6+ a quart oil.

They don't CARE.
06.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
A friend of mine once ran ~35,000 miles without an oil change on Wal Mart Supertech dino because he "never got around to it"...

35k on SUPERTECH oil....

Point made. "Never got around to it" = does not care. And if he was running Mobil 1 EP he would still be screwed.

Can not make Magic out of stupid.... People who don't care about their engines are the LAST people who are going to spend $6+ for a quart of oil.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
So you think the person who buys Mobil 1 EP (that means they went and looked for a specific Brand and line of motor oil) is now going to change the oil @ 15k since they could not remember the conventional OCI....

Here is what I think. If I had a child going away to college, or even one that recently left home to be on their own, I would make [censored] sure there was synthetic oil in crankcase, because I could not depend on them to get the oil changed on a regular basis.

You can theorize all you want about why people don't change their oil, but there a millions who do not change according to auto manufacturer OCI requirements, for whatever reason. Maybe some are idiots, maybe some just forgot, maybe there was a misunderstanding as to as to who was supposed to do it (occasionally, the dog doesn't feed because it assumed that someone else did it, or some days the dog gets feed twice).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back