"Nothing performs like Mobil 1"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
That is not true.Valvoline and Castrol say their oils out perform Mobil 1.The Valvoline,there was a radio ad with the host of PINKS saying this.It says on some of the Castrol commercials.It said on one of the Castrol commercials with the Think with your dipstick campaign.Plus Mobil 1 should not be the offical oil of Nascar,not every team uses Mobil 1.

Any oil can be the official oil of NASCAR if they are willing to write the check. That's just good advertising.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
That's just good advertising.

Thank you.
grin2.gif

At least Mobil is showing results from an ACTUAL engine test! Way to go Mobil!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Originally Posted By: wannafbody
I've read that Royal Purple is owned by the guy who invented Mobil 1 and sold it to Mobil. I've read that Royal Purple was the same as Mobil 1 with purple dye. I don't know if that is true. Maybe someone here can verify or debunk the rumor.

Whether or not the guy previously worked at Mobil, I don't know, but I guarantee that he did not "sell it" to them. I can also pretty much guarantee that RP does not make their own synthetic base stock. Don't confuse blending of various components and bottling with "making" an oil.

Who's to say that Mobil 1 isn't selling base stock to Royal Purple or some other small specialty company and laughing their way to the bank?

That is not true.Valvoline and Castrol say their oils out perform Mobil 1.The Valvoline,there was a radio ad with the host of PINKS saying this.It says on some of the Castrol commercials.It said on one of the Castrol commercials with the Think with your dipstick campaign.Plus Mobil 1 should not be the offical oil of Nascar,not every team uses Mobil 1.

Any oil can be the official oil of NASCAR if they are willing to write the check. That's just good advertising.

Uh huh. Remember when STP was used in every Indianapolis 500 car? If the myth is correct, one drop was put into every engine to make that statement correct. Then they could advertise that statement on TV.

Hendrick Motorsports uses Quaker State,Roush and Petty use Valvoline.Richard Childress Racing and Earnhardt Ganassi with Felix Sabates use Pennzoil which is RCR's offical oil and it says on every bottle of Pennzoil oil bottle

There are many good oils on the market. Most oil companies will formulate special oils for specific sponsored race teams.

Hendrick Motorsports uses Quaker State,Roush and Petty use Valvoline.Richard Childress Racing and Earnhardt Ganassi with Felix Sabates use Pennzoil which is RCR's offical oil and it says on every bottle of Pennzoil oil bottle

And I'm sure they don't all use Nextel cell phones or drink Coors Light (I think that's the current 'official beer' of NASCAR now that its not Budweiser anymore) either.

Your point is pointless. Mobil could still be the "official" oil of NASCAR even if not one car on the track used it.

Where is the proof that a specific team uses brand X oil? My father was a professional Unlimited Hydroplane driver ( rookie of the year in 68 and retired in 85 after a bad crash). He would always tell me stories about how they would have 55 gallon drums of one oil, yet it would be filled with another. I believe this still exists today.

The first successful turbine powered hydroplane ( The U-95 piloted by my dad) used Mobil synthetic ( turbine oil) back in the early 70's. Pretty cool stuff back then.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Mobil_1_Why_Synthetics.aspx

200k mile endurance test showing engine cleanliness/Fe levels.
It would appear that Mobil is attempting to respond to the notion that use of M1 produces abnormally high iron levels in UOA's.

You`re absolutely correct on that one. I was at the Nascar race the weekend before last in Ft Worth,and ever car had a different oil sponsor. So I guess *most* if not all oils are the official oils of Nascar?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: BerndV
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Mobil_1_Why_Synthetics.aspx

200k mile endurance test showing engine cleanliness/Fe levels.
It would appear that Mobil is attempting to respond to the notion that use of M1 produces abnormally high iron levels in UOA's.

That would be funny. If a few oil nuts remarking about some minor incidence of slightly elevated Fe levels could justify the cost of "testing countermeasures". I know of no one else in my immediate sphere of (all) people who know what the Fe characteristics of M1 are ..even those who I've done UOA for.

If so, let's see if we can whine enough to make a price difference
LOL.gif

At least Mobil is showing results from an ACTUAL engine test! Way to go Mobil!
cheers3.gif

Yea, it's better than 'Grease Monkeys,' but they are still saying very little. I'd really like to see the actual wear measurements, and a whole lot more pictures. The whole industry acts as if Beavis and Butthead represent the core market demographic. Consumers are so starved for real information that a few crumbs becomes a banquet. They could do SO much better.

Originally Posted By: ravenchris
Mobil 1 should be $3.99 a quart for all Bitogsters...

Yes, but it would include a gag order agreement not to criticize the product.

BITOG'ers are easy ..but they aren't cheap (just cheapskates
grin2.gif
)

Can someone tell me why exactly I should be impressed with an engine that, most likely, was run non-stop at a moderate engine rpm for 15,000 miles at a time in a probably enclosed, room temperature, clean environment, received an oil change, and then continued running in such a pattern until 200,000 miles?

I like the "NYC Cab" scenario much more than a car run on a dyno.

Give me a car that receives 2-4 cold starts a day, in a mildly polluted outside environment with temperatures ranging from 10-100 degrees fahrenheit, and is driven on average 75 miles a day. Show me how that car's engine looks after 200,000 miles of said oil and 15,000 mile oil changes.

That's what a "real world test" is...

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back