Not trusting orbital buffer -- dilemma ???

Would like to clean up the Jetta in signature real nice for the wifey -- no matter how many videos I watch on buffing/polishing with an orbital buffer -- I do not trust myself overall. Would Meguiars rubbing compound work better then clay baring initially before waxing/sealant?

Dale
Ps. Hope everyone is having a happy and safe July 4th weekend.

DA's (especially standard orbital ones) are fairly safe as long as you exercise reasonable precautions.

The terms being used for the various types of machine polishers is getting out of hand. It's getting to where the names don't mean anything anymore...

When you say orbital buffer, which one specifically are you referring to?

I have a porter cable and it is a real random Orbit buffer. I'd not suggest a rubbing compound to start, as many of those are fairly aggressive. Always wash then claybar to remove contaminants first. Apply a quarter size amount on the pad then apply in a side to side motion overlapping 20% or so. Work quickly as to not let the polish dry, if it starts to dry spray and wipe with detail spray.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke

I assume he means a Dual Action polisher like this:

[Linked Image]

I'll give you a 100$ if you manage to burn through the clear coat with the DA. Forget about hand rubbing. Go work on that Jetta, it has a ton of clear coat to make it look good.

I would too, except some people see those $40 wax spreaders at the local hardware store and talk about them when the topic of orbital something or another comes up. And while those won't normally harm a paint job, they don't usually help it much either. So I just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page before offering my $0.02.

Originally Posted by The Critic

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by The Critic

[Linked Image]

Yes, I will have to buy one of those if they are the golden ticket. Thank you for your feedback.

Originally Posted by parshisa
I'll give you a 100$ if you manage to burn through the clear coat with the DA. Forget about hand rubbing. Go work on that Jetta, it has a ton of clear coat to make it look good.

This

Google Blackfire One Step and order some. You'll be golden.

This is the video you want to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ej_Dhb5nM

As long as you don't cut corners (dropping pads on the ground and reusing etc) you'll be amazed with your results.

Back