Not all US auto CEO's are idiots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
There is one Marine base,no foreign car parking.

Yes, please cite a Marine base, on US soil that does not allow foreign car parking.

And I'm talking about the car, not the owner or where it's registered.

I could see a base not allowing foreign nationals on base, or cars registered to foreign nationals, etc.

What I'm talking about is a base, on US soil, that doesn't allow cars such as Honda's and Toyota's owned by Marines or GS employees on base.

There may be facilities that don't allow ANY cars on base, I'm not talking about those either. I think places such as Area 51 do not allow POV's on the facility.

So cite a place that allows POVs, just not foreign POV's.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It certainly looks like GM will be eating their share of humble pie for their past mistakes. VW is poised to pass them for the number two world automaker. That will put GM third behind Toyota and VW.

GM sinking to number 3

Sounds like you are pleased with corporate failures in the U.S.
You do realize we will all pay for it in the end.

I'm pleased to see GM finally forced to get its act together. They've foundered for a long time and I think that forcing them to restructure into a spirited company that can once again be competitive will be a good thing for them.

Agreed, if they succeed based on the results of a consistent approach to quality, reliability and value, not charity, it will be better for all.

However, to just buy GM because they are American is not in the best interest of America in the long term. It may be in the best interests of SOME, but not all.

If they succeed it will be good for GM and good for the country.

GM will soon be a 2 division company. The "New GM " and the "Old GM".

Originally Posted By: PT1
If Americans bought American then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

If the first set of "Americans" didn't make garbage for so many years we wouldn't be having this discussion. There is no patriotic duty in selecting an automobile. Which for most people is the second largest purchase in their lifetime.

Other than the economy is the backbone of the nation.

And if the Garbage wasn't produced, then GM wouldn't be in the mess they are in. If GM was really 'patriotic', they wouldn't be asking for my tax dollars, nor would they have produced the garbage over the years to need them. I have served and still currently serve in the military, and I drive a Hyundai. And if anyone thinks I am not patriotic just because I drive that Hyundai and not a GM, then they can go Screw themselves.

Originally Posted By: PT1
If Americans bought American then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

If the first set of "Americans" didn't make garbage for so many years we wouldn't be having this discussion. There is no patriotic duty in selecting an automobile. Which for most people is the second largest purchase in their lifetime.

I bought nothing but GM vehicles for years. I became tired of recurring problems and went elsewhere. Why can't they make an intake gasket or oil cooler hoses that don't leak!!!???

Back on topic....One big advantage that Ford has is a successful European division that's #1 in sales on the continent. Ford of Europe has some great cars, and it looks like with the restructuring, we should be getting more "global" platforms instead of the dumbed-down models that was pushed on the US consumer.

The 2010 Focus developed with Mazda (Mazda3) is a excellent car.
The little Transit Connect commercial van should be a big hit with business and consumers that don't need a full size van (or the fuel bills).

I really think that Ford can pull it off, plus they should get market share from GM if they go bankrupt.

Sounds like you are pleased with corporate failures in the U.S. You do realize we will all pay for it in the end.
Tig, the issue here is that your anger is misdirected. Rather than being mad at us for not buying the [censored] made by GM, you should be angry at GM for building [censored] in the first place.

I would've been more than happy to do 'my patriotic duty' and bought something from GM if they hadn't so clearly been biased towards the development of the large SUV over the past 2 decades. While I do think they build some of the best large trucks and SUVs in the world, their cars have really sucked for quite a while. They've had nothing in their stables for quite some time that compares with the Mazda I drive now, and a great example of where they've been falling short for many years can be found in the Cavalier and Cobalt. Mazda continues to walk away with awards for the outgoing 3, and the new 3 is just as promising to remain on top of the compact heap. A Cobalt, which is similar in price, is nowhere close in quality. I have no axes to grind with any American car company...it's all about how the product makes me feel when I sit down behind the wheel. They've got a long road ahead of them coming up with interiors that can rival the Japanese and Koreans, and until they do, I'll keep sitting down in their cars, getting back out and buying something that's worth my money. They've done this to themselves by keeping busy building great SUVs and trucks and all but ignoring the passenger car segment. Their cars have really suffered from this neglect. It's unfortunate that this business strategy is going to cost this country so dearly.

Originally Posted By: Lorenzo
Sounds like you are pleased with corporate failures in the U.S. You do realize we will all pay for it in the end.
Tig, the issue here is that your anger is misdirected. Rather than being mad at us for not buying the [censored] made by GM, you should be angry at GM for building [censored] in the first place.

Hold the phone guys! Well it's good to see a spirited debate over a very important subject.
To address your anger comment, well I'm not. At 64 years of age I learned long ago how to deal with emotions like that.
Also I don't drive the Generals cars, I have been a Ford driver for decades with joy.
And I must say I am rather suprised at the defensive nature of many over cars and where they are produced. I guess we, including myself,all at times have the need to defend our choices we make in life.
Yes we all have our stories about which car is great and which car is junk and where they were made, but as a way of life I do try, without much success these days, to Buy American where I can even if it hurts a little.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
There is one Marine base,no foreign car parking.

http://boortz.com/nealz_nuze/2008/11/united-auto-workers-disses-our.html

You need to enter the no spin zone sir!

That is truly disgusting behaviour by the UAW.

The union just gets tired of being stabbed in the back. Although both political parties can stab them too, one seems to do it joyfully and has a general contempt for organized working people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back