Not all US auto CEO's are idiots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Well if every American bought American then our car companies wouldn't need bail outs. So instead of driving very good American cars we can just drive foreign, let the taxes go overseas, reduce our tax base, increase our debt for our children, see to it more Americans loss their jobs, and drive cars that are sludgers with above average noisey engines, and sky high prices for parts down the road.

Yeaaaaa Foreign!

You mean like my '94 Geo Prizm. Is that foreign or domestic? It was built in a UAW plant in Freemont, CA in a joint venture by Toyota and GM.

That car at 235K miles is far quieter than every Cavalier I've heard from the same vintage.

Parts don't seem to be more expensive. Sure I've done two timing belts since I bought it at 106K miles. But then I don't have a lot of other repairs to do.

When I look at my wife's Camry at 204K miles today, only ONE repair in 7 years. No timing belt, and the 2.4L 4 cylinder you can barely hear run. No sludge, no failed transmissions, etc.

Just do brakes and tires and struts, oil changes, two tune ups and transmissions services, put gas in it and it goes.

Why would I look at another GM, after fixing transmissions before 100K miles in over 1/2 of the GM's I've owned to date? Or replacing head gaskets in a 1990's Pontiac Sunbird before 75K miles.

And before you say that's the past, I'll say that's the problem. I've been driving GM since 1981. My '66 Nova was bulletproof and survived me as a teen driver.

The problem is my GM experience never got better than that, and I tried.

If the only car to survive and thrive was the one abused, then what did that say about GM's for those 20 some years I gave them a chance?

One day, I saw this used Prizm for sale, it was in good shape at 106K miles with service records. Only failure it had in that 106K miles was the Delco alternator that was replaced by the PO. So I bought it almost 6 years ago today.

Now, nearly 130K miles later in the past 6 years, and I'm convinced. Far fewer repairs than any GM, Ford or Dodge I've previously owned. I met my wife, she came from Fords and after one too many Taurus transmission failures, she bought a 2002 Camry.

Her experience was night and day.

Do we care for our cars any differently? Not really. The only difference I would say was with how I treated the '66 Nova. It was flat out abused and hung in there.

Everything else was meticulously maintained. Yet the ownership experience and cost/mile is night and day. Our Toyotas are far less expensive to own and operate, and I have the data. I save ALL the costs in my PDA. So I know.

The Prizm is easily 6-7 cents/mile cheaper to drive than the Buick it replaced, and while it gets a little better gas mileage, fuel is about double what it was most of the time I had the Buick.

The difference is repair costs.

So you can tell me I'm the problem, if you would like. But I'm not buying it. The problem was my prior experience for 20 some years buying GM.

I don't hate GM. I hope they succeed. I'd like them or Ford to consistently become and REMAIN the top brands when it comes to reliability, value and resale.

But they are not there yet.

They are moving in the right direction.

But as I said, it's not a position that will be corrected over night. They have to get on top and STAY there for a generation, that's 20 some years, in my opinion, to regain the market share lost with mediocrity and complacency.

We all have our stories, and I can match yours. Like my sons 96 Accord that was total junk, but I'm not going there.

I understand they are anecdotes.

The reality is, just like you probably won't go back to Honda, I am wary of going back to GM and Ford for the very same reasons.

And that's the problem for GM and Ford. They GAVE folks reasons to look elsewhere. If and when that customer has a good experience with another brand, it's likely the customer will stay with that brand.

That's why it will take a generation of GM and Ford NOT giving as many customers reasons to look elsewhere to recover from this issue.

All it takes is ONE bad experience for many customers to look elsewhere.

Many customers, like me, gave them an entire generation to get things right before looking elsewhere.

So while you would like to dismiss those stories, doing so is like putting your head in the sand regarding why many current Honda and Toyota owners are owners. It's because of such stories like mine.

If GM and Ford wants those customers back, they have to begin by not dismissing those very real experiences their customers had in the past.

Why would I buy a car from a company or a person who is telling my that my past experience doesn't matter?

I won't.

As I've said, they are moving in the right direction. I simply don't trust that they will remain on this path.

Domestic car makers have a history of looking for quick fixes. There is not a quick fix to the current situation. So my question is will they remain committed to the highest quality, value, etc once they are on top again?

Only time will tell.

I am watching and hoping they are. But like I said, it will take a generation of consistent highest quality in the market place to win lost customers back.

Let me put it another way. If your wife ran off with another man, would you just trust her because she said she changed?

Probably not. So why would anyone burned by ANY car maker trust them just because they said they changed? Most wouldn't. They would look for consistent effort, over time, before giving trust again.

It's the same thing in the market place for cars. Those who were "betrayed" by GM or Ford or even Honda or Toyota are wary of going back.

Look, I'm not trying to convince anyone that they have to buy what I'm buying.

But I am trying to tell those who are saying "Buy American" what it will take to get my cash in the market place.

So it's up to those who are building and selling American cars to do what it takes to earn my dollar.

Do you think you'll change my mind by insulting me?
Do you think you'll change my mind by telling me I'm irrational?
Do you think you'll change my mind by telling me my experience doesn't matter?

None of that will earn my business.

So I'm telling you and anyone who will listen what it will take to get me to buy a domestic car.

The choice to meet my standard belongs entirely to those car makers.

Name calling, and other attacks do absolutely nothing to make me want to buy what the name callers and character assassins would like me to buy.

I'm not telling anyone else what they should buy, nor am I insulting anyone for their choices.

My experience is what it is, and it's largely shaped by the decisions of the car makers from whom I've purchased before.

Therefore, my purchasing decisions will be driven by the consequences good or bad of the decisions made by me and the car makers.

That will do more to win my business than any "Buy American" campaign.

Win me with substance, consistently over time, not slogans.

Spend more on engineering and less on advertising. I don't need to see 100's of car ads during a sporting event. That will not win me as a customer.

But spend that money on engineering and making the ownership experience top notch, that will bring me back for my next car.

In other words, stop telling me, and start showing me with the cars, the quality and the consistency.

In all fairness, I haven't bought a Ford since 1987, because I had a Ranger truck that was junk. But I have had very good service from my GM and Chryslers. I am willing to give Ford another chance, but the Colorado pickup has more room in it than the Ranger, and that was the biggest reason I didn't consider it. I know I am too personal and emotional when it comes to US jobs, as I have personally seen the misery caused by decent people losing their auto mfg. job. I just hope the new GM management puts them on the right track and gets our people back to work. I still don't think it's fair to put our labor head to head with the cheapest labor in the world (unless we want our standards lowered to theirs).

Originally Posted By: Hirev
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
At least the people who work for the American car companies know where to buy THEIR cars;

What the American car workers drive...

That says a lot about GM products when many of their own employee's won't even buy them.

I can't believe you bought in on that story. Our local Chrysler plant is full of American cars. Same with the Ford and GM plants nearby. Stories like that are fablicated XXXXXXX so the editors can creat sensationaly charged stories for their public. You aren't giving the workers there much credit if you think they drive the very cars,foreign,that may put them out of a job.

I understand.

The problem is we are never promised fair.

It probably wasn't fair when the US was the cheap labor for much of the old world either.

But those days are over, and other nations are going to be the cheap labor pool of the future.

We have to adapt. The days are over when a high school education is all you will need.

The days will be over when a bachelors degree will be enough as well. As I said in other places, we just cut our shop by 1/3rd. Four of our twelve engineers were let go last week. Most of those who were cut were non-degreed engineers who only worked on one system.

I'm certified in a number of areas besides what I do from a day to day perspective and have demonstrated I can adapt and learn new things quickly. So my boss kept me.

In fact, I'm going in two weeks to be cross trained in the areas the guys who were let go worked.

Life is competition, and we have to remain competitive to survive. The writing has been on the wall for the past generation.

Folks rode the wave while the economy was propped up by credit. That's not a sustainable way to grow your economy, so good folks were doomed to suffer when the reality of growth by borrowing sunk in.

The market place for both car makers and job hunters is getting tighter every day. Those with the best to offer will do better than those who are lacking.

I simply hope that rings true at all levels, from the CEO on down. If the executives don't add value, then they should go too, not just the rank and file.

At least the people who work for the American car companies know where to buy THEIR cars;

That says a lot about GM products when many of their own employee's won't even buy them.

I can't believe you bought in on that story. Our local Chrysler plant is full of American cars. Same with the Ford and GM plants nearby. Stories like that are fablicated XXXXXXX so the editors can creat sensationaly charged stories for their public. You aren't giving the workers there much credit if you think they drive the very cars,foreign,that may put them out of a job.
Oh, so the reporters took all sorts of foreign cars in to the parking lot, snapped a few photos and then took the cars out...

Ok got it...
LOL.gif

Guess this story from 2006 is fake too...

Ford only allows Fords in their parking lots

If all their workers had only fords or American cars, why would they come up with a new rule?

Notice the words "Employees who don't drive Ford products can still park in an employee lot across the street from the plant."

Guess everyone does not drive a American (Ford) car there either??

It certainly looks like GM will be eating their share of humble pie for their past mistakes. VW is poised to pass them for the number two world automaker. That will put GM third behind Toyota and VW.

GM sinking to number 3

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Well, the good news for GM is that I'm more likely to buy another GM than I am another VW, LOL.

Sadly with what has happened to GM (and I was a BIG GM fan) I will never buy a new one.

I'll buy a used one, but no way will I but a new one after what has happened.

The Marines are strict when parking a car in one of their base's parking lots,No foriegn cars and will not allow them on their parking lots.Volkswagons do have problems with their automatic transmissions,are junk.The Japanese say they get better fuel mileage and GM beats that by a little bit.I seen in the local newspaer,the was a Honda and a GM ad side by side.The GMs was 3 more higher

that wasn't a GM plant. I thought that was a GM corporate building???

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
The Marines are strict when parking a car in one of their base's parking lots,No foriegn cars and will not allow them on their parking lots.Volkswagons do have problems with their automatic transmissions,are junk.The Japanese say they get better fuel mileage and GM beats that by a little bit.I seen in the local newspaer,the was a Honda and a GM ad side by side.The GMs was 3 more higher

What are you smoking? I doubt the Marines are much different from the Army, Navy or Air Force when it comes to cars purchased by the troops. I visit an AFB nearly every week. All kinds of cars from all sorts of locations. I really doubt a Marine base is much different.

Next, I suppose you'll tell us only H-D motorcycles on base as well?

The best way to support your local economy is buying used. Used cars need periodic work, and your local garage likely employs people who live right in your neighbourhood, not in some other state or overseas.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It certainly looks like GM will be eating their share of humble pie for their past mistakes. VW is poised to pass them for the number two world automaker. That will put GM third behind Toyota and VW.

GM sinking to number 3

Sounds like you are pleased with corporate failures in the U.S.
You do realize we will all pay for it in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back