Not all US auto CEO's are idiots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Originally Posted By: bretfraz
This is what you get when your senior execs stop pandering to Wall Street and the investment community as a whole.

I hope you know that the CEO works for the shareholders.

And that's the core of the problem: putting shareholder value and the interests of the Wall St investment class ahead of the customer, the employees and the market place.

It's 2009. Shareholders no longer have any loyalty to their investments, unless it pays a big dividend or something. Are shareholders actually buying the company's product? Does every AAPL shareholder own an iMac and an iPod?

These companies will turn around the moment the senior execs stop working for shareholders and start working for their customers.

Originally Posted By: tig1
If Americans bought American then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

If the first set of "Americans" didn't make garbage for so many years we wouldn't be having this discussion. There is no patriotic duty in selecting an automobile. Which for most people is the second largest purchase in their lifetime.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
This is what you get when your senior execs stop pandering to Wall Street and the investment community as a whole.

I hope you know that the CEO works for the shareholders.

And that's the core of the problem: putting shareholder value and the interests of the Wall St investment class ahead of the customer, the employees and the market place.

It's 2009. Shareholders no longer have any loyalty to their investments, unless it pays a big dividend or something. Are shareholders actually buying the company's product? Does every AAPL shareholder own an iMac and an iPod?

These companies will turn around the moment the senior execs stop working for shareholders and start working for their customers.

I hate to break this to you but shareholder value is the name of the game in America. It is what generates capital for investment for any publically traded company. Without shareholder value no public company can raise money. That is how a private company grows. It goes public. Wall Street likes earnings and positive cash flow period. SO the CEO's job is to create both which makes the stock attractive and the price gose up because investors want to earn income in growth and dividends. Ultimately, the customer is the driver behind it all...but the employees just work there. They are free to buy as much stock as they want but in reality they have no ownership stake.

Originally Posted By: PT1

If the first set of "Americans" didn't make garbage for so many years we wouldn't be having this discussion. There is no patriotic duty in selecting an automobile. Which for most people is the second largest purchase in their lifetime.

Other than the economy is the backbone of the nation.

Well you might want to consider the fact that while GM spent $1Billion on the Hummer...Toyota spent $1 Billion on the Prius. When asked about their choice the execs at GM said that the "prius was a boutique car" and nobody would buy them. Now look at the Hummer...up for sale and no buyers. So how many Hummers do you own? If you are really a patriotic American you should buy 10.
LOL.gif

Plus these bounus given to CEOs needs to stop.They do not need them and the bonuses need to be cut.I do know a guy comes into my father's shop to buy junk catalytic conveters has a father is retired from GM.His father's health insurance was cut from GM.Plus if GM goes bankrupt,the price of junk catalytic converters goes down.Price of a junk GM catalytic converters was $150.00,went down to $50.00 and raised up to $70.00.

So you are saying that if GM, Ford and Chrysler were buying parts sourced in the US instead of Mexico, Japan, China, Korea, not to mention building cars in those places, there wouldn't be these problems.

You see, you can't blame the consumer when the choice of where to source those parts is made by those very companies.

So I find it hypocritical when the "Buy American" commercials run and the Ford Fusion, the Ford Crown Vic, the Chevy Aveo, the Dodge Caravan, etc are made outside the USA, not to mention all the imported parts GM, Ford and Chrysler put into these cars.

GM builds V6 engines in China to install in minivans, etc.

Shall I continue?

Why blame the consumer when these very companies are choosing to source parts overseas.

Meanwhile, the domestic content of Toyota's, Honda's, Nissan's, Mazda's and Hyundai's is increasing at the same time the domestic content of "domestic" cars is dropping.

Looks like GM, Ford and Chrysler are telling the consumer by their actions that it's OK to buy in the global economy.

so the Ford CEO is smart for taking out a bank loan before the credit crunch hit? He was smart not taking any bailout money that's for sure, he would be out of a job by now.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

So you are saying that if GM, Ford and Chrysler were buying parts sourced in the US instead of Mexico, Japan, China, Korea, not to mention building cars in those places, there wouldn't be these problems.

You see, you can't blame the consumer when the choice of where to source those parts is made by those very companies.

So I find it hypocritical when the "Buy American" commercials run and the Ford Fusion, the Ford Crown Vic, the Chevy Aveo, the Dodge Caravan, etc are made outside the USA, not to mention all the imported parts GM, Ford and Chrysler put into these cars.

Shall I continue?

Why blame the consumer when these very companies are choosing to source parts overseas.

Meanwhile, the domestic content of Toyota's, Honda's, Nissan's, Mazda's and Hyundai's is increasing at the same time the domestic content of "domestic" cars is dropping.

Looks like GM, Ford and Chrysler are telling the consumer by their actions that it's OK to buy in the global economy.

If Americans were picky about where the parts come from they wouldn't sell them. The union tries to do everything in its power to keep jobs in the USA, such as pushing for a parts origin sticker on every new car. But it's ultimately up to the consumer. The USA now has to compete with the cheapest labor the world has to offer, thanks to our wonderful lobbyists with their politicians in their back pockets. I find it ironic that you posted this because you obviously don't really give a hoot about supporting American workers, as you use every excuse in the book to buy foreign.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
so the Ford CEO is smart for taking out a bank loan before the credit crunch hit? He was smart not taking any bailout money that's for sure, he would be out of a job by now.

Yes, Ford has been reorganizing for the past 5 years. This CEO knew he would need long term financing at the time unlike the other boobs who just wanted to kick the can down the street and hope for the best.

The truth about foriegn car companies,the profits of their vehicles go overseas and we do not see it at all.The V6 engines block are made in China and are poorly casted.The 3100 blocks are this way,the cam journals were casted offset and ate up camshafts.GM put in cheap cam bearings.Jasper fixed the problem by alighn boring the cam journals installing upgraded cam bearings.I did hear Honda did change their Goldwing plant back to Japan and closed the plant in Ohio down.

Originally Posted By: cousincletus

Shall I continue?

If Americans were picky about where the parts come from they wouldn't sell them. The union tries to do everything in its power to keep jobs in the USA, such as pushing for a parts origin sticker on every new car. But it's ultimately up to the consumer. The USA now has to compete with the cheapest labor the world has to offer, thanks to our wonderful lobbyists with our politicians in their back pockets. I find it ironic that you posted this because you obviously don't really give a hoot about supporting American workers, as you use every excuse in the book to buy foreign.

The UAW only cares about themselves...67% of them shop at Walmart and many drive imports. Besides they voted for Clinton & Gore who promoted NAFTA when Ross Perot said it would suck all the jobs out of the US. So, the unions are just as culpable. I don't see the UAW doing anything in the good times to help anyone else. Now that they face elimination they are crying for handouts. This all still doesn't address the root cause of the problem...bad management at the US auto companies that are strangled under the financial burden of union legacy costs. This all leads to poor product development & quality...which chases customers away. You can call it applesauce...but bottom line: The consumer no longer trusts GM or Chrysler to deliver a quality vehicle. Ford still has a chance if they can get the UAW in line. Supporting workers who don't deserve it only leads to bigger problems.

Last edited:

I find it ironic that you posted this because you obviously don't really give a hoot about supporting American workers, as you use every excuse in the book to buy foreign.

Nobody needs an excuse to buy a foreign made vehicle. This is America remember? And attacking consumers for their choices only drives them further away. I tired of being labeled as unpatriotic because I drive a Toyota. You can't save the US auto companies by ridicule and insulting ex-loyal customers who were turned off by bad business practices. Won't work now and never will.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
The truth about foriegn car companies,the profits of their vehicles go overseas and we do not see it at all.

Do you own Toyota or Honda or Nissan stock? The profits go all over the world. Do you see the profit from GM...
LOL.gif

No but you will paying for the pathetic buyout with your taxes for years. So which company is doing more "damage" to our economy?

Well you might want to consider the fact that while GM spent $1Billion on the Hummer...Toyota spent $1 Billion on the Prius. When asked about their choice the execs at GM said that the "prius was a boutique car" and nobody would buy them. Now look at the Hummer...up for sale and no buyers. So how many Hummers do you own? If you are really a patriotic American you should buy 10.
LOL.gif

Well the Prius sales are in the tank as well. They can't sell them. Sales are down on them 80%. For the average driver it takes 10 years to break even because of the high cost of the car verses the price of gas. Yes the Hummer was a waste, but so are hybrids.

Shall I continue?

If Americans were picky about where the parts come from they wouldn't sell them. The union tries to do everything in its power to keep jobs in the USA, such as pushing for a parts origin sticker on every new car. But it's ultimately up to the consumer. The USA now has to compete with the cheapest labor the world has to offer, thanks to our wonderful lobbyists with their politicians in their back pockets. I find it ironic that you posted this because you obviously don't really give a hoot about supporting American workers, as you use every excuse in the book to buy foreign.

Actually, if you've read, I'm looking to buy a new car and I'm looking to buy one built in the US. So that drops off many of the cars I've listed such as the Ford Fusion. (The Mazda 6, it's cousin IS made in Michigan, while the Fusion is made in Hermasillo, MEX. (Not sure I spelled that right)

So which one is more American since they are largely made of the same parts, designed by the same people, etc?

I've said it before, my first priority is MY FAMILY, and MY finances.

Have you run out and purchased a Sun computer yet? Most are made in the USA. Sure it costs more, but according to you, American jobs are your first priority. So go ahead and buy a Sun workstation and get rid of your made in Taiwan PC.

But that aside, as I've said before, currently domestic car makers are LOSING money on every car, so why would I want to hurt them even more by contributing to the losses?

Overseas profits. That tired excuse has been popped here as well. Anyone can buy ADR's for "foreign" car makers. And you don't think domestic automaker stocks are owned ONLY by Americans, do you?

So that means that when domestic car makers do turn a profit, profits go overseas to any foreign stock holders.

And currently today, profits from Toyota, Honda, etc stay right here in America given to those who own ADR shares in those companies.

So once again, the profit myth is popped as anyone can own stock in any of these companies.

Like I've said before, and when will folks understand, domestic car makers have left a bad taste in MANY consumers mouths.

Why would someone who has been burned by GM or others in the past and have had far better experiences with Honda or Toyota return?

The problem is not the consumer, the problem is that GM and others have created so much ill will in the market place that consumers are not keen to return.

It took a generation for things to get to this point, and it's not going to be solved overnight.

It's great that GM and Ford have improved quality. To win back those customers, they will have to keep this up for the next 20 to 30 years. It's not going to change overnight.

Just like Honda and Toyota didn't reach their current status overnight, GM and Ford are not going to regain their dominance overnight.

What it will take is consistent improvement that is demonstrably long lasting. Flashes of brilliance will not do. It will take a generation of being at the top, across the board when it comes to initial quality, resale value, and long term reliability.

I've always said that domestic cars are moving in the right direction. However, given my past experiences, I want to see that they have a long term commitment to those goals.

I've always believed we COULD build the best cars in the world, and am saddened that we don't.

So until we do, I believe it's my patriotic duty to reward excellence and not support mediocrity.

Well if every American bought American then our car companies wouldn't need bail outs. So instead of driving very good American cars we can just drive foreign, let the taxes go overseas, reduce our tax base, increase our debt for our children, see to it more Americans loss their jobs, and drive cars that are sludgers with above average noisey engines, and sky high prices for parts down the road.

Yeaaaaa Foreign!

Go do this,price a part for a domestic car and an import.The price of a part for an import is more.A part for the VCT system on a Volkswagon is $900.00.Mercedes Benz has the worst ECM programing,a phone line hooked up to the scan tool which is hooked up to the car and the ECM has to be covered by a special blanket being programed for 8 hours.Any power surge,the ECM is done and have start all over again with a new ECM which is $3,000.00.They say the Toyoata Corolla is a good car,is not and I know a wrecking yard owner that can prove it.He does get calls for the engines going for $1,500.00 each and are hard to find.Plus the transmissions fall out of them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back