NOS (2008) Brake Hoses?

I bought some Wagner brake hoses for my 05 Saab 9-3 on RockAuto and received them today. They look fine (made in England), but the date on them says that they're from 2008! Granted, they are newer than what I have on the car, but I don't know if I should be concerned.

I wouldn't hesitate to use them as long as they don't look cracked or otherwise damaged. They've been bagged and climate controlled for 13 years.

Brake hoses are designed to be in the elements near hot brake components

I called Wagner. They said the part has been discontinued. They didn't have any guidelines for age.

The hose seems fine. One benefit to it, is that it has the correct bracket collar length. I had a Sunsong hose that had a long bracket collar that required me to bend the strut bracket.

There are many many many many brake hoses on the road with a much older vintage than those you quote. And the working conditions are much worse than the boxed and bagged one's that you have.

I would have no hesitation in using these.
That being said, you are correct to be hesitant in that these are used in the most critical system of your vehicle. If you're uncomfortable, then don't use them. From a performance perspective they'll be fine but your peace of mind is priceless. This really comes down to a personal choice.

I wouldn't hesitate to use them as long as they don't look cracked or otherwise damaged. They've been bagged and climate controlled for 13 years.

Brake hoses are designed to be in the elements near hot brake components
Eh maybe or maybe not as far as climate control. That may be a good thing though for the life of the rubber. Definitely no sun, corrosive moisture, or extreme heat.

I’d use them worry free if they appear to be in good condition.

They look to be good quality--made in England. I'm going to put them in and presume I may need to revisit them in 5-7 years.

Back