Review of Bendix Brake Pads and Wagner Rotors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had the front brake pads and rotors installed in my 7 years old 34k miles 2004 Honda S2000 last week. After about 100 miles driving on surface street and highway, I like to give my impression with the performance of the Bendix pads and Wagner rotors.

The pad is Ceramic CT-3 I bought a year ago when they had $20 rebate per set, the cost after rebate was around $21-22 for front set. The bonus was the pad made in America.

The Wagner rotor is $33 each and made in China, a disappoint when I received it from Amazon. I hoped that Wagner is and American company so that their rotors should be made in America, but I was wrong.

The performance of the new pads and rotors is as good as OEM pads and rotors. Initial bite a good, the braking distance is as short as OEM, the bonus is no noise and almost no dust, also the total parts cost is about 2/3 less than local Honda dealer price.

The one thing I don't know is how long the new pads and rotors will lasted, if it lasts another 30-35k miles I'll very happy. Since the car is driven mostly on surface streets, its brake is used almost every few hundreds feet therefore it didn't lasted very long, but still is much longer than the front pads of my wife E430 at 10-15k miles.

The next rotor will not be Wagner, because it is made in China, but the pad will be Bendix CT-3. I will definitely looking for Bendix CT-3 pads for my other cars when time to replace it.

unfortunately Im afraid youll have a tough time finding a rotor not cast in china...

I got 32k miles out of CT+3 pads on the front of my Cavalier. I know it's a different animal, but still a small car. I imagine you have more surface area on your pads, so they should last a decent amount.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
unfortunately Im afraid youll have a tough time finding a rotor not cast in china...

Are all Wagners cast in China now? The last set I bought (albeit a couple of years ago) were stamped "Made in Canada".

Best,

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Are all Wagners cast in China now? The last set I bought (albeit a couple of years ago) were stamped "Made in Canada".

Best,

No, not all (last I checked), but most.

The CT-3 pads are good. I like them better than the Wagner Thromoquiets that so many people rave about.

I bought a set of Raybestos rotors last year for my Forester and they were marked "Made in the USA" on the boxes. I'm not sure that means they were cast here, but at least the machining appears to have been done here. The rotors are good quality, but were missing the threaded holes in the hat that are used to remove the rotor if it is stuck from corrosion. Not a big problem for me since I use anti-sieze in the right places, but it was still disappointing. I kept the original rotors (stamped "made in Japan") and will probably have them turned for the next brake job instead of buying a new set. Of course, I use the car so little that may be 20 years from now.

I haven't seen US-made rotors in quite some time.

Was there a reason why you decided to replace the rotors instead of resurfacing them, or perhaps even leaving them alone?

Was cost the only reason why you went with the Bendix CT-3 pads over the OE Honda pads?

I think Bendix is an underrated/overlooked pad. They are affordable from rockauto.com

I have a friend that works in the fleet department for a police department. They only use Bendix pads.

My next set will be Bendix ceramic.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I haven't seen US-made rotors in quite some time.

Was there a reason why you decided to replace the rotors instead of resurfacing them, or perhaps even leaving them alone?

I had a free brake inspection coupon from Pep Boys, had the car there to check out the brake system because it made some noise when I back out of the garage for several months. The passenger inside pad was down to metal and the rotor was less than minimum, the driver inside pad was near metal and the rotor was above minimum. Both outside front pads were 3/4 worn, that why when I looked at front pads every month I thought they were okay.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Was cost the only reason why you went with the Bendix CT-3 pads over the OE Honda pads?

Cost and brake dust. OE pads perform very well but too much dust on the wheel after a day or two. Bendix CT-3 has very good reviews, specially they give much less dust then other pads. My cost was around $20 for front pad after rebate, OE pad is about $60 at dealer. My thought was try it, if it is not as good as OE pad then I will be out of pocket $20, if it performs as well as OE pad and less dust is the bonus and save $40.

I think I made the right choice with Bendix CT-3, I'm not so sure about made in China Wagner rotors.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The passenger inside pad was down to metal and the rotor was less than minimum, the driver inside pad was near metal and the rotor was above minimum.

Update, I remember that when I braked hard with the OEM pad/rotor the car pulled to the right, that why the inside right pad wear more than the left. The car is now stop straight without steering wheel pulling left or right.

The more I drive and use the brake, the more I like Bendix CT-3 Ceramic pads, I think it is better than Honda OEM pad. I have Bendix CT-3 pad for the rear on hand, it will be installed when needed.

Originally Posted By: coachditka
I think Bendix is an underrated/overlooked pad. They are affordable from rockauto.com

+1 I have them in every one of mine,my family's and quite a few customers cars and trucks.Never any noise,minimum dust,log life and great stopping power.They are the only pad i will buy if given the choice.

Interesting Bendix it seems is not just using a generic formula,most pads are GG rated but on some there are some FF for the rear and GG for the front and vice versa.
These are really performance rated quality pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back