Noob question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Drivebelt said:
It is much more than hype. Fram filters are poorly constructed using cheap materials. Why people continue to argue against that, when it has been proven, is beyond me?

More importantly why would you spend $3.50-$4.00 for a questionable quality Fram filter when you can get a Purolator for $3.50 or a PureOne for $6.50. That's not to mention Wix which can be had for under $7.

Some people say "Oh but the Toughgaurd or X2 are just fine." Sure, they might be constructed better but for the price of a TG or X2 ($6 and $10 respectively) a much better filter can be had for the same or less.

My father still uses dino straight 30 and the bottom of the line Fram in all of the daily drivers and Mobil One and a Pureone in his turbo cars. Not one failure in any car using an oil and filter combo that many here would disagree with.

Me personally, I would not use Fram since I have the choice to use whatever I want and I'm completely OCD when it comes to this stuff. But I would not lose sleep at night if Fram was the only thing available.

I remember my dad using straight 30 weight too, but switching to straight 20 in the winter. At the time, everybody did that in Pennsylvania. If you dad is in a warmer part of California, I don't see the year around 30 weight being a problem.

With the success many have with Frams, I see no reason to pay for premium filters. I can get a Hingst in a AC box for my Ecotec for less than half a Fram. Still looking for a cheap replacement for the ST 3950. Note, I am afraid Purolator has been Botched up.

Originally Posted By: NJ_Roadkill
... ... ... I now use Pennzoil YB in my car and stay away from Fram. I use a genuine Subaru filter... should I open that can of worms again???
18.gif
... ... ...Thanks.
Your Genuine Subaru Filter is made by ... ... ... FRAM! Subaru does not recommend you use ANY OTHER FILTER. My subaru likes EoM Clean 5000 5w-30 with 1qt of 10w-40 clean 5000 augmenting the the mix to quell excessive engine noise. My Subaru hates the latest fill of venerated RT/Cj4 10w-30. I've find the "forum favourites" to not work for me. UOA? - absolute waste of money on a pass car w/ short interval OCI's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back