Non DOT helmets

So last summer I was looking at this Airoh Commander helmet on a Spanish motorcycle company website. I really liked the looks of it and only weighs 3.37 lbs. I guess I entered my email address for them to notify me when they were going to be back in stock. The price last summer was $360 + $40 shipping to my door. I totally forgot about this helmet until I received an email last week. They were finally in stock and on sale for $280 + $56 shipping. It arrived yesterday. What an awesome helmet for the price. From what I have read they are made in Italy. This model is fiber composite and is ECE certified.

Now to the DOT regulation. We all know the DOT helmet regulation is a joke compared to the ECE and newer test. Just like the EPA MPG test, the gubmint lets the manufacturers do their own testing. I feel I’m just as or more safe with this non DOT approved helmet then if I was wearing a DOT approved helmet.

51573F93-45C9-4C82-9E91-DE41825154FD.jpeg
C13EF54C-940E-4559-B006-A882126F1D43.jpeg

Everything I read is the ECE is a better standard for a helmet. Do you need a DOT helmet to collect insurance for disabling accidents? Other than them no one will ever check, except perhaps on a track day.

I just purchased a new Scorpion EXO-T520 Helmet , I couldn't care less about the DOT rating , I purchased it for the ECE rating.

^ Agree with ECE>DOT.

I used to look for Snell certified helmets, as they're a cut above what DOT requires.

Just wearing a helmet will drastically improve your survival chances and help minimize the risks of head injuries. It still boggles my mind that many choose NOT to wear any and that some states don't require them.

ECE's test is inferior to all other major tests, because it's SO easy to game (and is gamed regularly), allows equal or higher G-force transmission to the head than everyone else, and lacks a time component to the g-force spec.

They have a newer version which won't be in force for a few years yet. It has some meaningful improvements such that it's a decent spec (apart from not reducing allowable g-force to the head, so not particularly great).

ECE is ok, but if the helmet is not also DOT, you will not be considered in compliance if you ride in a state with a helmet law.
I have one helmet that is ECE and DOT, and the other one is DOT/ Snell. Some track days require current Snell cert.
bottom line is any helmet with one of the major certifications is better than no helmet. Ride safe.

Also, most helmets have warranties varying from 3-5 years. I've had a couple helmets needing internal springs or moldings replaced under warranty. Helmet MFR's will not honor warranty work on Euro helmets, as they do require proof of purchases.

Im good with DOT only, heck we even wear helmets in my non required helmet state.

I lost two co-workers young just married couple, just bought their first home, first Christmas together. Illegal alien with no license ran a stop sign, the guy (my co-worker) was killed on the spot, the girl (my other co-worker) thrown so far as a passer by good Samaritan heard her screaming in a field nearby. She was not in good shape, he asked her if she believed in god as he tried to comfort her with parts of her body missing. She died a few times on the way to the hospital and then died forever in the hospital.

They always wore helmets but it wasnt the head injuries that did them in.

Last edited:
About 9 years ago got broadsided at the entrance to a parking lot by a lady in a hurry. I was stopped, she was doing about 35. Threw me about 10 feet face down on blacktop and I slid sprawled eagle. The officer did look at the back of my helmet and said good, it had the DOT mark. Insurance company wanted to know the brand (Bell), but didn't say DOT was a requirement. Surprisingly I had no injuries, and not being a scam artist, didn't claim any. But that full face DOT helmet save my face that night. Totaled the bike.

I'm currently using a Scorpion EXO-R420 Techno in Titanium, so far I really like it and has worked out well for me, it's comfortable and not too loud either. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have an internal sun visor, the Fulmer I used before had one and is nice to have but the Scorpion overall is a much nicer helmet. The Fulmer had issues of allowing flying insects to get inside the helmet such as bees, luckily I never got stung on my face but sometimes it's hard to just pull off the road in a timely manner and address it. I never really figured out how they were getting in there unless coming up from the bottom because I don't ride with the visor cracked open and honestly that is the main reason I ditched that helmet.

However I have been stung once on the inside of my leg, I was close to home and must've rode through a swarm or something and one of them got me through my riding pants of all things. I do agree you should replace your helmet at least every 3-5 yrs.

I don't know if they still are or not but Bell used to be one of the best helmets you could get... If you have a $10 head wear a $10 helmet.

I always cross reference helmets between ECE, Snell and SHARP. I always try to get the one with the highest SHARP rating, no lower than four stars as I only use it for track use.

Back