Nokian Hakka R2 winter tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand
………………………...

I agree the testing is through and objective. I am just saying it doesn't always correlate to real world 1:1

And My point wasn't inferring they make mistakes.. its more like in the real world there are many variables. You cant have many variables and repeatability for 125 tires.

The results are a great tool to get an idea of how good the tires are but just that.. a tool…………………….

Here is Nokian's advice on magazine tire tests:

"…...The buyer’s guides in newspapers, magazines, and internet provide good assistance for purchasing tyres and they often contain expert interviews. It is worth reading the tests by car magazines, because they are quite reliable today. However, the test winner may not be a self-evident choice, as the emphasis in the overall estimation may be on properties that do not match your requirements. Instead of the overall test result, you should pay attention to the ratings in the sections that are important to you……………………………..

When reading test results in car magazines, it is worth remembering that the testing period is rather short and the sample is quite small. For example, in winter tyre tests, the testing period is usually one week and the tests are performed using the same car in all weather conditions. In this sense, tyre manufacturers’ own tyre tests are more reliable, as the testing period may cover the whole winter and the tyre is tested with many kinds of cars in various winter conditions. This way, the sample is larger as it consists of different cars and various weather conditions which provide more accurate test results.…………….."

http://nordictyreblog.com/expert-tips-for-buying-tyres/

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
……..I just wish more of their results and reviews were available in english, not via google translate.

How much would it cost them to put together the charts and results in multi-languages?

?? The ice testing web page is viewable in four languages, one being English

I meant their reviews. Not this generic ice braking ranking site.

you know the ones you often link that are in various european/foreign languages.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fredf
What is the difference between these tires and the Nokian WR A3?

The WR A3 is a H and V speed rated performance winter. It gives up some ice traction in exchange for better performance on cold wet/dry roads.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyre?id=21399126&group=1.01&name=Nokian+WR+A3

Yes, even though Nokian labels it as an "all season", it is MUCH MORE than that! (Probably my next winter tires.
wink.gif
)

18" R2 SUV installed on our Odyssey last week by John & Son Tires in Manchvegas, NH. $204 each installed.

i-K9Q6WxK-L.jpg

I have R's on my WRX, WRG2's on our Outback at the moment, and had RSI's and WR's previously. We have not had any balance problems more than any other tires: 9 times out of 10 it is a faulty dealer installation. And the first thing I do is take the vehicle home and re torque the lugs with a torque wrench. Most dealers out them on so tight you would be hard pressed to get them off with a tire iron.

Originally Posted By: Garandman
18" R2 SUV installed on our Odyssey last week ………...We have not had any balance problems more than any other tires: 9 times out of 10 it is a faulty dealer installation……………….

A faulty installation in what way? Error in mounting, or error in balancing?

I put the new (215/45R17) Nokian R2 tires on my Subaru Legacy today, and went for a short test drive (55 degF today)……...On the freeway at 70mph, they had good directional stability, but I am disappointed that I am feeling vibrations in the steering wheel and chassis. Hopefully a Road Force adjustment on a Hunter GSP9700 will solve that.

Well, after much time and work and an additional expense of $155 for diagnostic road force balancing and tire mounting/dismounting, I finally have a set of R2s that do not cause significant steering wheel shimmy on my 2005 Subaru Legacy GT. Ironically, I bought these online in order to save $160 over the local dealer cost, but all that savings was eaten up by troubleshooting costs. After this experience, I won't be buying any more tires of any type or manufacturer online! It's too much time and expense and hassle when things go wrong with shimmy or vibrations.

I went through seven Nokian R2s, and they measured at 11.5, 11.0, 9.0, 8.0, 7.0, 4.0, and 3.5 Kg of radial force variation on the Hunter GSP9700 (in pounds that is around 25, 24, 20, 17.5, 15, 9, and 8 lb). The upper limit for my car is 8.0 Kg.

P.S. One of my 10 month old Michelin MXM4 tires feels like it has become square. I will let the local Discount Tire, where I purchased the set, do all the work of getting that one worked out!

I went out for my first real ride in the snow on my Nokian Hakka R2 tonight...awesome. I was driving a rwd 1992 Lexus SC400 with traction control without any extra weight in the trunk. Tire size: 225 55/16. Temp-24 degrees. 2.5 inches of very light powder. Driving in a suburban area and area between suburbs. There was some ice underneath and the plows were few and far between. I was most impressed by how it handled in the deeper stuff while going around long bends. In a 45 mph zone when most cars were restricted to driving 25 or 30 mph in the lane that had well worn grooves down to ice and concrete, I was able to go around 60 mph in the next lane, the lane that had 3 - 4 inches of snow with no discernible tire grooves and that was while going around a long bend in the road. Other feelings, stopping on ice - 9 of 10. Stopping on 2 inches of fine light powder -9.5 of 10. Zero to 30 mph on ice - 9 of 10. Zero to 30 mphin a few inches of snow 8.5 of 10. Zero to 30 mph in slush 10 of 10. Lateral grip - 10 of 10. Acceleration handling and grip while changing lanes through thick heavy snow - 10 of 10.

Overall, it was the greatest time I've ever had behind the wheel of a vehicle. 4x4 trucks out having a good time I left in the dust (snowdust)! Yes, my ratings above may not be perfect as this was the first set of winter tires I have ever driven on. What fun! I can't believe I drove a rwd vehicle for 11 years w/o snow shoes. How much fun I have missed out on?

I am having a hard time deciding between the Xi3 and the R2. Price is similar. Any ideas?

xi3 should be available much cheaper.

if they are local go R2.. if mail order would probably do michelins over R2's just because of quality control, vibrations etc.

nokians never go on sale(much)

michelins can be had with over 100$ rebates several times a year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nebroch

When I think of this test. I'm thinking...

Is there a set of conditions that would make the hakka R2 come in better or worse than 11th?

Is there a set of conditions that would make the hakka 8 fall out of first place?

is there a set of conditions that would make the blizzack ws-70 better or worse ?

the answer should be yes.

Sure there is, but I don't think it matters too much. Just select a product which coherently stays in top3 or top5 in test results, and you're good.

I strongly agree.

When we review these tire tests, it becomes obvious that no one tire outperforms all others in all tests. Each of us have to study the results, consider winter conditions in our area, our personal driving needs, and then decide which tire we feel will best meet our needs.

But in the end, it seems very unlikely that most of us could tell the difference between any of the top rated tires in a group. If the Nokian R2 is available at your favorite local tire shop, then go for it. But if you have a preference for the Blizzak WS70, and can get a great price on it at your local Costco, then I would imagine that it would serve you well. If you are a Michelin Man, and want the reassurance of the 40,000 mile tread wear warranty, then go for it. Everyone will feel that they had the best tire. And all will be right, for his or her own needs.

I put my R2s (235/70R16 R2 SUVs) on the Jeep today. No vibes or other issues to report and they stick like glue in the snow. I can't have any fun, as I can't generate enough lateral slip (even under throttle in 2wd) to get the tail out. It just spins them a little, pushes forward and accelerates with only a little sideways motion.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
I am having a hard time deciding between the Xi3 and the R2. Price is similar. Any ideas?
We have a small fleet of cars at work. We equip most of them [3 of 5] with winter tires plus my wife's minivan and my WRX and I also drive a company Subaru Outback 3.0R. We have a couple equipped with Nokian WRG2's but none with WRG3's as of today.

On the last go-round we had Xi2's on the minivan and RSI's on my Outback and Blizzaks on another Outack. The Xi2 was a good performer in ice and snow and quite civilized on wet and dry roads. But the Nokians lasted almost two full seasons longer.

So right now we've chosen:

Nokian R2 SUV for my wife's minivan.
Nokian R2 for the Outback.
Nokian R (purchased several seasons ago) for the WRX.

The price premium for Nokian is minimal locally. One advantage of the Xi3 is that it is widely distributed and sold mail order so if you can't get the Nokians, it's still an excellent choice.

Unlike most Decembers we've gotten about a foot of snow already in two storms. We also had some freeze thaw cycles to create some excellent ice. I consider the R2 to be a bigger advance over the R than the R was over the RSI. It's quiet, seems to have lower rolling resistance based on mpg, and the snow and ice traction is remarkable.

Last edited:
How has the winter been going with R2 tyres?

I just finished swapping old studded Xi2s to summer tyres, plenty of tread and studs left so have to wait a year before going R2
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nebroch
How has the winter been going with R2 tyres?

I just finished swapping old studded Xi2s to summer tyres, plenty of tread and studs left so have to wait a year before going R2
smile.gif

I found the R2 to be much better than expected on dry/wet roads, excellent in fresh snow, slush, and compacted snow. Impressively strong braking on compacted snow, but not that impressive on ice at 30 degF. Despite soft sidewalls, the ride is not as compliant as I was expecting, at least in my size of 215/45-17.

I did not know the Michelin Xi2 was available studded. Isn't the X-Ice North the only studded Michelin?

I just pulled my R2s off for spring about a week ago. They've been great all winter. After 3500 miles, I've just barely worn the break-in markings off the tread. They're pretty quiet, quite tolerable on dry pavement (although the steering response is a little sluggish, especially once it's above freezing). They're awesome in the white stuff and good on cold ice and hardpack. On near-freezing ice, they're not as good as something studded, but still worlds better than any all-season.

Of course, I kinda wish I'd waited until after my trip down to CT and back for spring break to pull them off, rather than pulling them first, as I'm currently stuck home due to the few inches of slush / snow / ice being dumped on us and the Jeep being back on its performance summer tires
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Nice to hear that expectations have been met. Warm or especially wet ice is of course very hard for studless winter tyre, ABS tick can be only major implication of hitting the brake pedal :p

I did not know the Michelin Xi2 was available studded. Isn't the X-Ice North the only studded Michelin?

Oops, that's correct. I meant XiN2.

My wife's Xi3 are the best winter tires she claims to use (TS810, 3D and now Xi3). They are quite similar to performance winter's (maybe it is their H speed rating for 205/55R16) in dry and wet and much better on snow and ice.

Krzys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back