Nokian announces One tire

EVERY tyre is a compromise!! technology moves on as does marketing BS BUT depending on your ambient temps, snow + ice or not + your driving one style does NOT suit all driving conditions. tyres are better than ever + should be considering their COST for premium brands $$$

80,000 miles treadlife, and finally Aramid Armor sidewalls for passenger car application for pothole protection
Currently running Entyre C/S on a GMC Acadia. Very pleased and superior to the Conti CrossContact LX20's. Marketing/schmarketing, I think there is something behind the Aramid Armor sidewalls. These tires are much quieter and compliant.

Wonder how these would do in comparison with WRG3 SUV in snow. I’m cross shopping HTs and ATs. RWD truck that lives in Scottsdale but I would like more grip the 10-15 days I go skiing and in case I get caught in shoulder season snow going up to the cabin in CO.

Wonder how these would do in comparison with WRG3 SUV in snow. I’m cross shopping HTs and ATs. RWD truck that lives in Scottsdale but I would like more grip the 10-15 days I go skiing and in case I get caught in shoulder season snow going up to the cabin in CO.
Probably not as good due to differences in compound.

I use the Entyre C/S for 3-seasons and the WR G4 SUV for the ski season.

Tire Review states that the One replaces the Entyre.

The Nokian Tyres One size range will span 14- to 20-inch fitments, and the tires have a 720 AA UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grading) traction rating. The Nokian Tyres One replaces the Nokian Entyre and Entyre 2.0 all-season product offerings.

Just put a set of Nokian One 195/65R15's on my KIA Forte - kinda nervous about buying a tire that has zero online reviews as of this post but the dealer I bought them from says he's willing to take them back if I am not happy with they performance - so far they are the quietest tire I've had on the car...car has 150k. They say they are an LRR tire, I am going to test that. They weigh a half pound more than the previous tires: Continental PureContacts...which makes the ride of the vehicle a tiny bit rougher on the Nokians than with the Conti's. I'll keep yall posted.

The aptiiva by nokian would probably be better for snow. It’s a mild AT. The yoko GO15 probably rates as well, as well as the BFG advantage ta sport, all 3 of which I believe carry the 3 peak mountain snowflake rating.

Just put a set of Nokian One 195/65R15's on my KIA Forte - kinda nervous about buying a tire that has zero online reviews as of this post but the dealer I bought them from says he's willing to take them back if I am not happy with they performance - so far they are the quietest tire I've had on the car...car has 150k. They say they are an LRR tire, I am going to test that. They weigh a half pound more than the previous tires: Continental PureContacts...which makes the ride of the vehicle a tiny bit rougher on the Nokians than with the Conti's. I'll keep yall posted.
Probably the stiff, durable sidewall you're feeling. These are tough tires. The eNTYRES I had made me think they were made for a tank. I'm not kidding.

Does buying a symmetrical, non-directional tire require more frequent rotations to get the value from the choices of tire placement?

No. The problem with getting the most wear out of a tire is alignment!

2 problems:

1) Published alignment tolerances are too wide - by half. To get good tire wear, the alignment has to be within the inner half of the tolerance.

2) There are some vehicles that have alignment specs that are not conducive for good tire wear. The most common is camber. My experience is that anything over a degree is problematic.

There's actually a 3rd problem and that's alignment techs. Many aren't aware of the above 2 items. Many think that if the factory didn't provide adjustment, then it either can't or shouldn't be adjusted - not true. It may be necessary to use a camber plate or an eccentric bolt (extra cost!), but EVERY alignment setting can be adjusted.

But I should mention that regular rotation does pay benefits even if the alignment is perfect.

Each corner of a vehicle does something different. - especially front to rear. Steer positions tend to wear the shoulders, where drive positions tend to wear the center.

On RWD vehicles, these functions are separate and regular rotation evens out the wear = longer life!

On FWD, the steers and drive tires are the same and they wear much faster on the front. (2 1/2 times!). Regular rotation evens out the wear RATE.

AWD is dependent on the torque split front to rear.

2 problems:

1) Published alignment tolerances are too wide - by half. To get good tire wear, the alignment has to be within the inner half of the tolerance.

2) There are some vehicles that have alignment specs that are not conducive for good tire wear. The most common is camber. My experience is that anything over a degree is problematic.

There's actually a 3rd problem and that's alignment techs. Many aren't aware of the above 2 items. Many think that if the factory didn't provide adjustment, then it either can't or shouldn't be adjusted - not true. It may be necessary to use a camber plate or an eccentric bolt (extra cost!), but EVERY alignment setting can be adjusted.

But I should mention that regular rotation does pay benefits even if the alignment is perfect.

Each corner of a vehicle does something different. - especially front to rear. Steer positions tend to wear the shoulders, where drive positions tend to wear the center.

On RWD vehicles, these functions are separate and regular rotation evens out the wear = longer life!

On FWD, the steers and drive tires are the same and they wear much faster on the front. (2 1/2 times!). Regular rotation evens out the wear RATE.

AWD is dependent on the torque split front to rear.
Thank you for the in depth reply. I am the antithesis to a mechanical mind.... so have often thought of an alignment as going to the chiropractor... in that you may not detect any problems until you become aligned... and then you may notice problems never seen before... I have gotten alignments in the past and when hit a bumpy Pennsylvania highway road get immediately paranoid am now out of alignment. Wonder if front wheel vehicles are more prone to alignment problems... although sometimes would think it was just torque steer. I have an older Lexus LS 400 now and last set of tires good year all weather wore horribly... About 20000 miles... previous Michelin defenders had 45 thousand when one tire got ruined by me driving on it when had a hole... likely changed prematurely... but do suspect my older suspension has contributed to the tire wear as well.

2 problems:

My Focus was like that. The rear spec'd quite a bit of toe-out so even if it was on the tighter end of the range, it would still burn the insides off the rear tires. I solved this by loading the trunk up with a lot of weight and getting an alignment. Never wore the rear tires again!

I just put Nokian One tires on my 97 Jaguar XJ6 ( 225/60R-16 ) . My previous tires were Nokian WR G4 all weather tires. They had a 50k mile warranty, and triple peak snow rated. They did quite well in the snow when new, and even at 1/2 tread for the second winter, were safe enough to navigate 2 inch snow. What brought me to try these One tires instead is the fact that here in Southern Oregon, we only had 2 or 3 days of snow on the ground to deal with in the winter (last few years). I loved my WR G4 tires, even on the dry. I only got 36,000 out of them though, and mostly highway.

These new Nokian One tires had me worried right off the bat, as I had them Road Force balanced (optimizes mounting for matching them to the rim better). Even after a tire is weight balanced, it can still have uniformity or out-of-round issues. My set of Nokian One ended up with the following RFV (road force variation) values: 2 , 12 , 22 and 39 pounds. As you can see, they varied greatly form one to the next, and they were all manufactured same day (from what I can tell). If the tire and wheel combo were perfectly balanced and perfectly round and uniform, there would be zero pounds pushing on the roller. The higher the value, the worse they are, and will cause vibration issues, especially on the front suspension. We had the 22 and 39 mounted on rear.

So how did they drive? So far very well! I am impressed with the noise level, especially on grooved concrete, where most tires are typically noisy as hell. These barely had a difference over the asphalt (exposed aggregate mostly, not fresh). The vibration level is very minimal, so the worse tires on rear work fine on the Jag. I had the tires up to 110 mph without any steering vibrations or problems. They are V rated as well. Bumps are another item where these tires shine. I suppose it is the aramid sidewalls, which allow for a softer touring sidewall. The tread is still heavy and stiff, so the tires ride a tad heavy, but bumps are a muted thud and it's over. No theatrics at all. Some of the other tires I have had cause the Jag to jostle around on rough or bumpy roads, but these One tires hold their composure very well.

One of the elements I am looking forward to is snow capability. While I don't expect them to be as good as the WR G4 or any three peak tire, I expect they will exceed all season tires otherwise. I was also intrigued by the tiny cross ribs in the bottoms of the water channels. I think they will be valuable to snow traction, especially when the tread wears down.

39 lb force is quite a lot for passenger wheel/tire combo.
22 is not low.

IMHO.

Krzyś

PS I would be asking for remounting/replacement for 39 one.

Back