no trans fill tube on tundra !?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's an auto.
evidently there is a fill plug on the side of the transmition and below than, an over flow plug and then on the botton, obviously, the drain.
if i decide to mess with it i'll just put they same amount of fluid in that i take out.
or i'll just bring it to the dealer for a free cup of coffee. (only for the tranny though)

Is that the new for 2005 Tundra 5-speed automatic?

Whats the owners manual spec for the ATF?

I've heard that T-IV is soon to be replaced.

we just brought my wife's 2005 tundra double cab home and low and behold the transmission has no check/fill tube. what gives! hey toyota, how can i check and fill her trans w/ amsoil!!

should i have it flushed ever 15k or 30k? how do i add auto-rx
rolleyes.gif

we will be towing a moderate sized trailer every now and then.

thanks

auto or manual? ..I had a car that I had to remove grear selector ( stick shift) add the oil and then replace the selector..maybe that is what you will have to do...fins a toyot forum out on the web.....

Lot of cars do not have fill tubes/dipsticks to check fluid level. My 95 BMW does not have a dipstick.

Elaborate process to remove pans, drain, change filter and reffill trany. Takes about two hours, a thermometer and a level lift.

dumb idea IMO.

it specs toyota genuine ATF WS

yes it is the 5speed tranny.
what a nice transmission, it down shifts as you slow do. they really out did them selves on this one. take your foot of the gas and you can feel it kick down a gear. can't wait to tow with it.

I am sure as long as they have drain plugs and fill holes we will all learn to adapt to this.. It's a conspiracy to make life hard for do it your selfers.

As Russell said, BMWs don't have dipsticks on their automatics since the early-mid '90s. I try to change the ATF on both the '95 and '97 once a year so I rigged up a funnel with a length of ATF-compatible hose attached. It's now a simple matter of plugging the hose in and filling it up.

jarmstrong, Are you sure? Did you ask the dealership if it was a mistake? It is possable that they negleced to insall it at the factory and the plug is just what is used to keep dirt out dureing assembly? I ask because my mothers 2003 Tundra has a fill tube and requires that you drain and refill the fluid every 15,000-18,000 miles. I have done for here twice since she has owned it! I recomend you talk to the dealer and check a few other Tundra's on the lot! This could very well be true but it sounds fishy to me?

How often does the manual recomend fluid change and refill?

There should be a fill cap somewhere, but it sounds like there is no dipstick. Look around on the transmission itself, it is usually red with a symbol of a transmission and the word "FILL" on it.

My 2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE has no dipstick as well. Most automatic transmissions don't come with a drain plug. I tell my friends about it and they don't believe me until I show them there isn't a dipstick. I want to be able to check the level and condition of my fluid, but it just isn't easy, but it is possible.

To change the transmission fluid you drop the pan, change the filter(if desired), replace pan along with a new gasket, fill with the proper amount of quarts, hoist the car up, run the engine for 5 minutes, with the engine running for five minutes shift through all the gears, put it in park, pull out the little "level check" bolt on the side of the transmission and continue filling the transmission until it dribbles out of the hole, replace the plug.

It is a complicated process that could be much simpler. In a perfect world all automatic transmissions would have a spin-on filter(no pan drops), a drain plug, and there isn't an excuse for not having a dipstick.

EDIT: The manual with my car says that it doesn't need changing, unless it is severe service which would then be 50,000 miles. I know people with the same car as I have and they don't drive hard and their transmission fluid comes out dark with a burned smell at 50,000 miles. I will never follow the transmission fluid intervals set by any auto manufacturer, especially GM ever again.

I think the Toyota WS ATF is a very high quality, long life product. In any case, it would be changed just like you'd change the differential oil.

If the ATF isn't slung around the underside of the truck, and you don't have a red puddle where you park, the ATF is probably still inside the transmission.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by jarmstrong:

what a nice transmission, it down shifts as you slow do. they really out did them selves on this one. take your foot of the gas and you can feel it kick down a gear. can't wait to tow with it.

Can you turn that feature off? In most normal driving, having it downshift as soon as you take your foot off the gas will reduce fuel economy. Sometimes, due to traffic ahead, I will remove my foot from the gas pedal to slow down just slightly, while covering the brake in case traffic ahead slows down quickly. If the transmission downshifts just from taking the foot off the gas pedal, it will slow down faster than I'd want.

It would not have been difficult to design a system for conveniently changing the filter, flushing the fluid, and verifying the fluid level.

Another rant, admittedly off-topic: why do VW/Audi and some others make it so difficult/expensive/time-wasting to clean the oil pump pickup screen?

The WS fluid can only be obtained at the stealer. Nobody has reversed engineered it. I have heard its expensive but thats what they are doing now. I hope this helps.

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:

quote:

Originally posted by jarmstrong:

Can you turn that feature off? In most normal driving, having it downshift as soon as you take your foot off the gas will reduce fuel economy. Sometimes, due to traffic ahead, I will remove my foot from the gas pedal to slow down just slightly, while covering the brake in case traffic ahead slows down quickly. If the transmission downshifts just from taking the foot off the gas pedal, it will slow down faster than I'd want.

actually sounds kind of nice to me. I hate the way that auto's just coast when you take your foot off the gas. I've always driven manual's and I EXPECT the car to slow down when i take my foot off the gas- in a manual it's not so much that you're downshifting, just taking away fuel. In most automatics, removing your foot from the gas is much like shifting to neutral or pushing in the clutch on a manual.

I might actually have to go test drive one of these new toyotas.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back