No shocker, but a rip-off story...

You do realize this is over a year old? You saw the thread on the "Similar threads" at the bottom of the page? They really should do something about that.
Why ?There is lots of good info and subject matter . This isn't TV where last weeks programs are done with and useless. Lots of times I go back to the early posts and see the progression of needed information and get a kick out of the group think of some of the posts.

Originally Posted by domer10
Shops make their bones on unsuspecting customers. Overhead or not, they charge 100 dollars a hr some shops. On a employee that makes less than 25hr. There is no justification for marking up a part 40 percent and then claim overhead. Shops are all about gouging unknowing customers.

Open one up then. If it's just easy money made from ripping people off, it should be easy right? Everyone wants something for nothing.
I knew somebody was gonna say something like "well, open up your own shop then"...My mechanic is very reasonable, never tries to upsell me, and I KNOW he doesn't mark up the prices on parts because I've seen what he pays for them, and he's got more business than he has time to complete. I'm sure he has just as much overhead as any of the other shops, and he's making money hand over fist...places like the OP has described are ripping off people...

I knew somebody was gonna say something like "well, open up your own shop then"...My mechanic is very reasonable, never tries to upsell me, and I KNOW he doesn't mark up the prices on parts because I've seen what he pays for them, and he's got more business than he has time to complete. I'm sure he has just as much overhead as any of the other shops, and he's making money hand over fist...places like the OP has described are ripping off people...
I'm sure he doe not have as much mark up as almost any dealership. Does he have a fleet of loaner cars, offer vehicle pick up and delivery service, furnished waiting area with free food and drinks, business name on the sponsor wall at high school gym and usually oil changes so cheap that they're a money loser?

That's why it's a free market. For those like you who would rather save the money than get those amenities there are options. Just like checks from the government though someone is paying for the "free" stuff at the big dealerships.

Last edited:
ROCK AUTO has NO parts- they are simply a drop shipper, thus no money tied up in inventory, warehouses, workers etc.= low overhead and the ability to sell for less. They never see the parts.
I used to be in the parts biz & had a shop owner explain why they will pay more to get a part quickly- it comes down to "if my bay is tied up & I have a 4 bay shop- 25% of my business is making no money, meanwhile my overhead stays at 100%".

ROCK AUTO has NO parts- they are simply a drop shipper, thus no money tied up in inventory, warehouses, workers etc.= low overhead and the ability to sell for less. They never see the parts.
I used to be in the parts biz & had a shop owner explain why they will pay more to get a part quickly- it comes down to "if my bay is tied up & I have a 4 bay shop- 25% of my business is making no money, meanwhile my overhead stays at 100%".
Lots of opinions from the employees.

I'm sure he doe not have as much mark up as almost any dealership. Does he have a fleet of loaner cars, offer vehicle pick up and delivery service, furnished waiting area with free food and drinks, business name on the sponsor wall at high school gym and usually oil changes so cheap that they're a money loser?

That's why it's a free market. For those like you who would rather save the money than get those amenities there are options. Just like checks from the government though someone is paying for the "free" stuff at the big dealerships.
Yes, dealerships usually charge more and have more overhead, which is one reason I use an independent mechanic...the other is because I know who's working on my vehicle and I can trust them...

Back