Screwed twice on expensive car repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at all the trouble engineer20 has with his Camry. I guess Toyota should be avoided too.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
My sister's Element has had more repairs in the last 2 years than my Dakota.

I guess Dodge is better than Honda then.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Look at all the trouble engineer20 has with his Camry. I guess Toyota should be avoided too.
grin2.gif

yes!! the great "engineer20" and his issues with his Camry. Let's all fall for that one....lol

OP- sorry to hear of your issues! I believe 2007 was the very first model year for the Jeep Compass. Basically none of the issues had been ironed-out at that point. These aren't necessarily horrible vehicles today.

The AWD issues are likely nothing more than the system not seeing the proper signal from one of the wheel speed sensors. Could be a bad connection, partially broken wire, etc. Unfortunately, if it's not something simple like a failed sensor, it can take a lot of troubleshooting, which no shop wants to do, because nobody wants to pay for it.

I'd ge myself a decent OBDII/CAN scanner and try to pinpoint the issue(s) myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stchman
Wow, this forum seems to dislike Chryslers.

well they are owned by FIAT (Fix It Again Tony!)

And Ford, Honda, GM, Nissan, Toyota, Subaru, VW, Kia, Mercedes, Hyundai, BMW, Volvo, Mercedes.

However, Geely seems to be held in high regards.

Geesh...you just got snowed on bad. What a mess. I've never owned an Anti-Chrylser, but heard plenty stories like this. You mentioned the year & model, but not the mileage. How many km?

You write well! Just need to work on more paragraphs to make your text easier to read.

I've had several problems with the ABS system on my car. All electronic faults due to the ABS controller: Poor solder joints. Several codes indicating wheel speed sensors were at fault. No, they were fine. It was bad internal solder joints, mimicing failed wheel speed sensors. The last one leading to a ABS light regarding the pump motor. Been, there. Done that.

I wonder if they tried swapping in a new ABS controller to see if the dashboard light show quit? What fault codes were posted?

The dealer sounds incompetant. Born out by the fact they kept it for so long, trying to figure it out.

Sounds like you bought a used dud/lemon, dumped by someone else. You mentioned beginning to notice problems about a month after buying it. That's not a good sign.

I'm curious why you didn't use your powertrain warranty? You paid for it.

163500 kms or right about there. I filed a complaint with the BBB on thursday, I really don't think anything will come of it though. A thought occurred to me yesterday: With all the trouble I've had with this thing, I probably would have gotten better service out of even a Daewoo or a Chevy Aveo, haha

55Test, when you say dealer, is this a used car dealer or a Chrysler/Jeep dealer? There are decent Jeep dealers to be found that could have more success diagnosing and fixing this issue. Sad thing is, it's probably something simple.

I'm sorry to hear this but the bottom line is you purchased a 9 year old vehicle and its having a few issues.

Its tough getting older vehicles fixed if you have limited mechanical understanding and are not able to DIY a few things.

Sounds like it needs struts, exhaust, and has a couple electrical issues.

Have you tried contacting your warranty company about this? Jeeps have a very big following, how about finding a Jeep forum and seeing if they have any favorite shops in your area that specialize in Jeeps? The selling dealer doesn't really owe you anything so your probably not going to get much out of them.

Last edited:

They get hard here for Toyota's and Crown Vic's. If its not on the BITOG approved list they hate it and if you say anything negative about the approved cars you get jumped on.

I'm willing to bet that most of the respondents here are not even really sure what a Jeep Compass is.

Last edited:
As much as it sucks to gèt ripped off, it's the price you pay for being unwilling or unable to DIY - look at why women have a worse perception of garages than men (in general!)

Originally Posted By: Olas
As much as it sucks to gèt ripped off, it's the price you pay for being unwilling or unable to DIY - look at why women have a worse perception of garages than men (in general!)

.....and this...it pays to have an expert evaluate a prospective purchase...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back