No name tires made by big companies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone recommend a no name or lesser known A/T tire made by one of the big tire companies? I've been looking for new tires and see a lot of no names that have a very similar tread pattern as the big names. Not afraid to spend the $$$ for the big names, but why if I can find a no name with the same build?

Thanks!

I know this isn't much help, but I've got Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo2 tires on my Expedition and love them. They performed very well in the rain a few weeks ago. Just took them offroading last weekend and they were great in that condition too.

Thanks for the replies. I'm actually running Bridgestone Dueler A/T (NON Revo) and like then but new tire prices are crazy....

There's always the DOT code lookup if you see a tire you like in the store...

Dean= Cooper.

I personally like the private label brands from TBC/Apex/Multi-Mile for middle-of-the-road style tires.

Check out CL, your local Pull 'N' Pay/junkyard, and see what people have, you might be surprised what you find. I have 2 LT225/75R16D Bridgestone Revo 1s on the front of my GMC that have been on there for 3 years, bought them both already mounted on wheels & a set of hubcaps for $60!

Agreed, I remember when my friends car was in an accident last year and he recently put new tires on it. The car was totaled out eventhough the damage wasn't too major. Older car with high miles though. 1999 Malibu with 200k miles to be specific, rusty but trusty. Front end damage at 25mph, someone turned in front of him.

Gnet, we do not know if the private label tires are indeed the same as the major label tires. They might be more cheaply made. Or, maybe not.

The tire makers have multiple brands that are not private labels:
Goodyear/Kelly/Dunlop
Michelin/BFGoodrich/Uniroyal
Bridgestone/Firestone/Fuzion
Cooper/Dean/Mastercraft/Avon

In addition, they do make private label tires for large retailers and wholesalers. Here are some examples:
Multi-Mile, Cordovan, Sigma, Vanderbilt for TBC Corp.
http://www.tbcprivatebrands.com/
Hercules...http://www.herculestire.com/about-hercules/our-divisions/
In the past Discount Tire Co. had the private labels of Arizonan and Fisk.

Also, the tire makes produce private line tires for Sears, Walmart, Discount Tire, etc. You'll see certain GY tires only available at Walmart. Certain Michelin tires only available at Sears. Certain Cooper tires only available at Discount Tire. Tirerack had Avon. Again, we do not know if these are exactly the same as the regular tires from those makers.

Here's how to find out who makes what--look at the first two letters or number & letter in the DOT code on the tire's sidewall:
http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm

Cooper at3 p265/70r17 installed at discount tire for $650 out the door last week. Not counting the $80 rebate.

Whatever you do, avoid Fuzion. I've had quite a few of them. They wear out quickly, and I had all sorts of trouble getting them to stay filled. They didn't fit right on the rim, and so would settle in to 10psi after a few days.

There are a lot of "soft-rubber" tires out there now. I suppose they're great if you want new tires every 20K miles.

I had a set of Eldorado tires on our Jeep a few years ago. They were rebadged Coopers and they were great.

Look around on tires-easy.com

They handle lots of no-name stuff on the cheaper end of their inventory. If a tire is made by a major manufacturer, they'll say so in the description.

See this Doral tire made by Sumitomo as an example.

Just be cause a no name tire has a tread design that looks similar to a top tier manufacturers tire, doesn't me they are the same quality or performance by any means. When it comes to tires you USUALLY get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back