Noise

The Michelin 15" Agilis Cross Climate tires on my Fiesta are a little noisy. The Michelin Energy Saver tires on my wife's Cmax were so Noisy that I thought the transmission was on it's way out. Loud rumbling noise. No vibration. Just put Michelin 225/50 R17's on it. Whisper quiet. Why the difference in noise level between the 15's on my fiesta and 17's on the Cmax? I am thinking the ones on the Fiesta have to spin more at a given speed causing noise. Tread pattern looks the same. Wondering why "Agilis" dropped from the name.

There's a recall on the Cross Climate because it does not meet government standards for snow tires. Not worried. i got through snow on the crummy Kelley tires on the fiesta. I am sure the Cross Climates will perform better. They'll have to pry them from my cold dead hands if they try to take them.

Have a Michelin (iirc Premier) on one car. It's very noisy and tread life is half of advertised. All tires wore evenly. At first I thought something is wrong with car. In icy cold weather it 5x noisy. Never had a tire like that!

Switched to Cooper in one car and it lasted about 80K miles and still had life according to the tire store but changed it because of winter.

Some tires are just nosiy. Previous tire on the same car (same size and price range but a different Michelin model) was not noisy and lasted a long time.

Used to be Michelin only but dropped them now and going with Cooper. Two different cars and great tires.

Agilis is Michelin's line of commercial van tires. The size your Fiesta takes is also a size used in small commercial vans in Europe, so Michelin makes Agilis tires in it. You may have also noticed that after the 15 there is a letter C, which stands for Commercial. The load index will also be muc hhigher than normal tires in that size, even XL tires.Similar to LT truck tires but not 100% identical :unsure:

225/50-17 is not a size used in commercial vehicles, so it won't have the Agilis name.

Perhaps the Fiesta's commercial truck tires are heavier or something, to handle the extra load. Truck tires could be louder than car tires.

It is good to note that braking will wear the leading edge of tread blocks. Most people are unaware that hard braking loads are far higher than acceleration. 1G of braking is possible, while 0.25G is about a typical 1st gear rate of acceleration.

That wear can be felt by running a hand forward/back over the tread.

If it is noisy, and tires are non-directional, simply swap sides when rotating.

I knew the Agilis was a light truck tire. It was the only Cross Climate I could get for the Fiesta. Had to wait a few weeks to get them. Very good in the wet. That clears it up about the name.

The noise level has been level has been constant from new to now, over a year.

The Michelin 15" Agilis Cross Climate tires on my Fiesta are a little noisy. The Michelin Energy Saver tires on my wife's Cmax were so Noisy that I thought the transmission was on it's way out. Loud rumbling noise. No vibration. Just put Michelin 225/50 R17's on it. Whisper quiet. Why the difference in noise level between the 15's on my fiesta and 17's on the Cmax? I am thinking the ones on the Fiesta have to spin more at a given speed causing noise. Tread pattern looks the same. Wondering why "Agilis" dropped from the name.

There's a recall on the Cross Climate because it does not meet government standards for snow tires. Not worried. i got through snow on the crummy Kelley tires on the fiesta. I am sure the Cross Climates will perform better. They'll have to pry them from my cold dead hands if they try to take them.
In many cases the energy saver tires are a much harder compound that have lower rolling resistance but come at the expense of additional noise.

Back