"Remolded" Tires from Treadwright........yikes!

Yep, the guy's here at all the shops I've used - Walmart, Sam's Club, and Nuttall's (local, 2nd generation tire shop) scan the bar codes and affix the small, peel off labels (the same size as the one that is on the bead of the tire) that come with the tire to a card for all the registration information and tracking info (Date purchased, Mileage, Name, Address, Email, and Phone Number). They take that card and mail/scan it and forward that information to the manufacturer for warranty and safety tracking (that is what I've been told it's for). I will see if I can find an example of the card and the mailing address.

This post made me realize that we were talking about different things!

The company I used to work for and the people who I have been contacting have a third party company doing all this registration work. It is indeed an outgrowth of the Ford/Firestone thing.

What happened is the US government required tire dealers to collect enough information so an owner could be contacted in case of a recall. I am not sure how much information this third party company gets, but I know that the tire manufacturer doesn't deal with that except when there is a recall. How that works exactly - I don't know. But I do know those of us in the trenches don't use any of that information at all. In fact, I do not remember even thinking about this info - so maybe there is a government regulation making the info private?

So somebody has that information. The tire manufacturers may have agreed to allow third parties to hold that information. It's also possible that the tire manufacturers may be passing enough information so the third party can get the make/model/size/datecode for each individual barcode. But I'll bet that the tire manufacturers do this in reverse: In a recall, they make up a list of barcode numbers that are being recalled and ask the third parties (is there more than one?) for a list of names and addresses.

So there is a disconnect between the tire retailer and the tire manufacturer with regard to the barcode - except if there is a recall.

I bet 95% of semi trailer tires are retreads and have been forever. I worked in a truck shop once and they did their own retreads.

Michelin has had them for a while.

RE the Treadwrights - am i the only one that was struck buy the empty space in the establishment and the seemingly labor intensiveness of the process...

I do agree for a jeep or something it would be a reasonable option.

If you don’t have enough volume and your product is highly variable you can trade labor for up front R&D.

Lots of industries use a lot of labor in trade for using valueless materials making a quality product.

Every “municipal and institutional “ door knob, latch and window lock is pretty much sand cast and hand made .

Lots of tiny electric motors (ounce scale) have tons of labor using antique machines

Even the venerable iPhone has a ton of labor once you realize pre-pandemic it averaged $1.Xx / day to apple for most of said labor and R&D was hidden

And here is the note from the tire install shop at Walmart:

IMG_4260.jpeg

When I was young and living in Jefferson City Mo the was a retread place called Blackwell Tire. Where back in the day, you could get a set of 13-15" retreads for $40-60. They were on the bluff over the south side of the MO river. Rumor had it that they rolled the defects down the bluff into the river. Maybe a place for fish to spawn.

Back