What happened to this tire?

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I recently bought this utility trailer and it had some Ling Long 215/60R15 car tires on it. They were 100% tread and no major cracks, 3318 date code but I wanted to start fresh and got some new Carlisle's.

Anyways, I figured I'd keep the old tires and toss them on Facebook Marketplace for super cheap, figured someone down on their luck could score some tires that hold air for cheap or free, rather than going to the landfill. When I got the tires back, one of them is like it's flat? Yes not mounted on a wheel. I didn't notice anything out of the usual when they were mounted on the trailer and driving. It looks worse in person.

I think I'm just gonna toss them in the trash.

D6328D1A-835E-4324-973F-BF06169B2574.jpeg
C457EC75-6673-4EBE-B23F-EAB13A70CB5E.jpeg

3BACA7C4-D508-4629-B1A4-F3A563A5CEBE.jpeg

Not surprised : Those are junk tires. Seen a flipped trailer with those blown….
I don't think he is talking about the Carlisle's. Those are the ones he bought.
I have had two sets of Radial Trail HDs on my 32 footer. Best tires I have had on a trailer. An ST tire rated to 81 mph.

I agree with Owen, that is exactly what my boat trailer tire looked like after sitting flat all winter.

The only far eastern tires I'd buy are Kenda Load Star bias ply tires, for a trailer, I would NOT buy Chinese radials under any circumstances, bias tires are simple to build, radials, are not and poor quality control on radials is dangerous.
I wish a few more tire companies would get into the consumer trailer tire business, the only really good radials are the Goodyear Endurance and some Carlisles. The rest are suspect.
I've had 3 sets of Load Stars over 20 years and no failures, not even a flat tire! The thicker sidewall of a bias tire is good for trailers that are used in rough conditions (like narrow boat ramps where it is impossible to avoid hitting the curb)...that is tough on radials, their sidewalls are just not that strong.
In this pic you can see not much room for error here....
End of season '21 small.jpg

I don't think he is talking about the Carlisle's. Those are the ones he bought.
I have had two sets of Radial Trail HDs on my 32 footer. Best tires I have had on a trailer. An ST tire rated to 81 mph.

I agree with Owen, that is exactly what my boat trailer tire looked like after sitting flat all winter.
Yeah this is just a small trailer, might see a max of 1,500 pounds loaded on the trailer. I got the D rated ones actually for cheaper than C.

BF5451C7-A6D8-4BAF-AF7A-B2CED5D1526B.jpeg

Yeah this is just a small trailer, might see a max of 1,500 pounds loaded on the trailer. I got the D rated ones actually for cheaper than C.

View attachment 134580
I have been really happy with mine on the 8000lbs travel trailer. One survived a pretty extreme heat even when I lost a wheel bearing. I don't feel bad going 65 with the Radial Trail HDs on mine.

Surprisingly, even though they’re still “Made in China”, the Carlisles are pretty good-and the company will help out if you’re unlucky enough to have a bad newer one.

Back