No More Salvage Yard Tail Lights For Me

You can throw out insults all you want. I’ve never had a tail light just fly off while driving.

The problem is the attachment. FIX THAT!!!
The TAIL LIGHT didn't fly off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The lens SEPARATED from the assembly and FLEW OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I CAN'T! :rolleyes:
The lens is bonded to the light assembly with some kind of epoxy!
People are always trying to reinvent the wheel. Why don't YOU reinvent this Ford tail light?

Attachments

• TL1.jpg
    TL1.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 46
  • TL2.jpg
    TL2.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 47
  • TL3.jpg
    TL3.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 46
Are you saying the lens flies out or the assembly falls off? I think we're all thinking the assembly is falling off.

My FIL had the large lens on an (about) '78 Thunderbird fall off. He found it loose one day and easily pulled it off so he still had the lens. I considered that due to a defective cement - ie a Ford problem. He glued it back on and that was the end of it.

He wasn't very happy with that car. Although he had been a Ford man his whole life, his next car was an Olds 88.

The TAIL LIGHT didn't fly off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The lens SEPARATED from the assembly and FLEW OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I CAN'T! :rolleyes:
The lens is bonded to the light assembly with some kind of epoxy!
People are always trying to reinvent the wheel. Why don't YOU reinvent this Ford tail light?

That tape will last longer than the actual tail light lens :D

My message overlapped yours.

I think we're getting to the real issue now. Yes Ford seems to have a "cementing on the lenses" problem. A new one might be better but I wouldn't bet on it. I think you might be better off getting a junkyard tail light, prying off the lens and cementing it on with "something better than what Ford uses". I think my FIL used a silicone type of caulking. It had a long length to hold on with but that worked for him.

I'm sure someone here on Bob will know what to use.

With a name like Blue Oval Fitter you should have a answer for this Ford problem.

Gorilla Glue. Don’t get it in your hair.
Blue Oval is for the Ford truck I drive. The Fitter part was my job as a pipe fitter/welder/instructor for 39 years. With a Mazda emblem as your avatar you're a "WANNA BE FORD" guy. So, you have at this. I will step aside.
If you can find the lens for me I will GG it back. :rolleyes:

My message overlapped yours.

I think we're getting to the real issue now. Yes Ford seems to have a "cementing on the lenses" problem. A new one might be better but I wouldn't bet on it. I think you might be better off getting a junkyard tail light, prying off the lens and cementing it on with "something better than what Ford uses". I think my FIL used a silicone type of caulking. It had a long length to hold on with but that worked for him.

I'm sure someone here on Bob will know what to use.
That's too much work. The OEM tail light was cheaper in the long run than a salvage yard one. IMHO.

I see Stevie Wonder and myself are the only 2 that see the point I'm trying to make here. 😁
Why buy a used, old, salvage yard tail light, trying to save a few dollars, when I can buy a new one and it will most likely last another 10-12 years? :unsure:
But you yourself bought a used, old, salvage yard tail light as stated in the OP.
I called the nearest salvage yard, after pulling off of the interstate. $25 later and them installing it, I was on my way.

Blue Oval is for the Ford truck I drive. The Fitter part was my job as a pipe fitter/welder/instructor for 39 years. With a Mazda emblem as your avatar you're a "WANNA BE FORD" guy. So, you have at this. I will step aside.
If you can find the lens for me I will GG it back. :rolleyes:

Shows how much you know.

And all that time I thought those were red ufo's far away. Now we know Ford pickup lenses flying off.

:alien: :poop:

I had a 98 f150. They had quite flimsy tail lights, I replaced with aftermarket, that may be your best best Cajun friend.

Aftermarket probably is better

Ford seems to have a lot of problems with their tail lights and brake lights. The Mk1 Focus third brake light is also garbage. The Dorman aftermarket one, along with a new set of wires, worked great

I've never had a new car and up to the last ten years rarely bought a new part other than batteries and tires. If parts of the car fly off or there are similar 'should never happen' failures I reconsider owning that make of automobile.

Multiple tail lights lose their lenses, that's a Ford QC problem. I've owned exactly one Ford.

what i do with crap that looks like it will fall apart real soon is take it apart and glue or just secure it good. id recommend a bead of Permatex clear silicone. that stuff never fails to adhere anything i put it on.

:alien: :poop:

Aftermarket probably is better

Ford seems to have a lot of problems with their tail lights and brake lights. The Mk1 Focus third brake light is also garbage. The Dorman aftermarket one, along with a new set of wires, worked great
You know, I thought about going aftermarket. But, who can you trust? It's obvious I can't trust Ford.
But, I'm looking at it like, if they last another 10-12 years (which I will probably be dead before then, or close to it) then I got my money's worth from them.
Who knows? 🤷‍♂️

I feel like we have entered the twilight zone. Someone is having a heck of a laugh damaging BOF's rear lights and he just doesn't realize it.

Hard to believe everyone is talking about the light failure and not your point. I will state the obvious as junk yard part cost same as new from the dealership. Ok 4 bucks cheaper.

Back