No More Salvage Yard Tail Lights For Me

About 2.5 years ago I was driving down I-49 at the posted speed limit (75 mph). As I was changing lanes I noticed the drivers side tail light lens go flying off into oblivion. Instead of calling my son for a replacement, I called the nearest salvage yard, after pulling off of the interstate. $25 later and them installing it, I was on my way.
This morning, driving 65 mph on I-10, the drivers side tail light went flying into oblivion, AGAIN! This time I called my son for a NEW FORD tail light. After paying $29.11 + tax and $7.00 shipping over the phone ($38.80 total) my NEW FORD tail light will be here Monday.
And, as the thread title reads, no more salvage yard tail lights for me. ;)

I see Stevie Wonder and myself are the only 2 that see the point I'm trying to make here. 😁
Why buy a used, old, salvage yard tail light, trying to save a few dollars, when I can buy a new one and it will most likely last another 10-12 years? :unsure:

I see Stevie Wonder and myself are the only 2 that see the point I'm trying to make here. 😁
Why buy a used, old, salvage yard tail light, trying to save a few dollars, when I can buy a new one and it will most likely last another 10-12 years? :unsure:
If you don't plan to drive it for another 10-12 years?

Because there's no way to assume that. I wouldn't have assumed the original would fail at that range of 10-12, instead it's a fluke or someone rammed a shopping cart into it or something, and salvage parts tend to not have this problem either unless the person pulling or installing it over-torques or otherwise damages it.

The way I look at it, if it's in visually good condition or will polish up with a bit of plastic polish, why NOT save a few bucks on a junkyard light if it's otherwise going into a landfill and wasting petroleum to make another new one? It really depends on the condition of the part but as others mentioned, tail lights don't generally wear out, don't have a lifespan. I would never pull a wear item integral to core functionality like junkyard alternator, starter, etc (except maybe as a DIY rebuild candidate).

Because there's no way to assume that. I wouldn't have assumed the original would fail at that range of 10-12, instead it's a fluke or someone rammed a shopping cart into it or something, and salvage parts tend to not have this problem either unless the person pulling or installing it over-torques or otherwise damages it.

The way I look at it, if it's in visually good condition or will polish up with a bit of plastic polish, why NOT save a few bucks on a junkyard light if it's otherwise going into a landfill and wasting petroleum to make another new one? It really depends on the condition of the part but as others mentioned, tail lights don't generally wear out, don't have a lifespan. I would never pull a wear item integral to core functionality like junkyard alternator, starter, etc (except maybe as a DIY rebuild candidate).
I would have seen the mark a shopping would have left.
Oh, I forgot to mention, my passengers side tail light did the same thing when my son had my truck at the dealership to have the roof repainted. He himself installed a NEW FORD tail light. That happened about 2 years ago.

You can throw out insults all you want. I’ve never had a tail light just fly off while driving.

The problem is the attachment. FIX THAT!!!

Back