No more oil changes until it explodes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool test!
worshippy.gif

I started to recommend Amsoil 10W30 but after thinking about it a little I would like to see a "lesser" oil do well.

My pick is Shell Rotella T 5W40 synthetic and the Motorcraft filters.

The only thing that I would worry about is sludge that can form in the bottom of the oilpan. That could result in a catastrophic failure by sucking hardened sludge into the pickup screen and starving the engine of oil. I didn't know about this problem until I started reading Dodge Durango sites and it is a problem with Dodge engines. Also Chrysler specifically states in the owners manual not to do extended drains. Just search "Durango sludge" and see for yourself. The Ford 4.6 has a similar design to the Chrysler 4.7 engine so I would think this possibility exists in your case. Personally I wouldn't take a chance.
cheers.gif

quote:

So what if its a single mpg less efficient, you don't pay for gas, correct?

Well, sorta. I get a car allowance. If I spend less than what I'm given, I can pocket the difference. So, in essence I'm paying for the gas and a loss in gas mileage (or a spike in fuel prices) can really hurt.

quote:

Originally posted by Tim H.:
My Suggestion....Go with the Mobil 10w-30, and a SUPERTECH filter...5k filter changes.

I like the SuperTech filter idea because it's a MUCH better filter than some folks realize. Plus, it's so darn cheap that I think it would be making a fairly profound statement if a $2 filter could do the job.

Of course, Motorcraft filters are only a buck more. And so forth...

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
Astrovic ,what if the car blows up when you need it most.

Good point, Steve. I've thought about that a lot, and you certainly bring up a good point, but I just don't think it's enough of a concern to cause me to back out of the experiment.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris142:
I think it's a good idea but with the wrong car. Citizens depend on a running police car, sometimes lives depend on it.

"What if" it blew up and you were unable to get to a call in time and someone died?

If it blows up with normal mainetnance then so be it. But if it was not maintained and it blew up when it was needed I don't think I could sleep at night.

That was my thought. With today's legal climate, I don't think I'd want to have a civil attorney find out that I stopped changing my oil as an 'experiment' after a car failed to make it to an emergency.

quote:

That was my thought. With today's legal climate, I don't think I'd want to have a civil attorney find out that I stopped changing my oil as an 'experiment' after a car failed to make it to an emergency.

I have no fear of civil attorneys.

For them to prove that my extended oil change interval was the direct cause of me not making it to a call in a timely manner would be virtually impossible - especially with the high miles my car has on it to begin with.

But again I have to admit that I understand this particular viewpoint and cannot argue with the logic.

[ July 31, 2004, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: AstroVic ]

With UOA's he will know if the oil is going south on him well before the engine is damaged.

Oh I just thought of one you might try. How about Synlube? It is made so that it never have to be changed or something like that. Very pricey though.

edited for spelling
smile.gif

quote:

That can be said of any police car.

My goal (as it always has been) is to become a KY State Trooper.

-

Been around and have been interested in law enforcement all my life...matter of fact, just a few months ago I talked with a mechanic for Kentucky's largest metro police department.

Know what fails most often on CVPI's?

Transmission!

Engine failures are rare.

Although I personally wouldn't do it, I wish you the best of luck with this "test"...

(BTW, what's goin' on with your departments policy in regards to purchasing your own cruiser? Weird...
confused.gif
)

[ July 31, 2004, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
(BTW, what's goin' on with your departments policy in regards to purchasing your own cruiser? Weird...
confused.gif
)

Well, you have to look at it from their viewpoint. They provide us with a set amount of money per year. This makes it very easy for them to budget for vehicle expenses, without the headaches associated with the maintenance, insurance, etc.

Each year, they know EXACTLY how much the vehicles will cost.

And for us it's a GREAT deal, too! I have everything in my car exactly how I want it - leather steering wheel, Sony MP3/CD changer, flashlight charger location, and so forth - and I get to maintain it how I see fit (which is a LOT better than the county would maintain it!).

Plus, my plan is to slap a supercharger on my car whenever I put the new engine in it. How many cops get to drive around in supercharged Crown Vics???
wink.gif

Maybe I'm missing something here, but although it does make it easier on the department in regards to the budget, it just seems to place a TREMENDOUS financial burden on the officers to purchase a vehicle!

quote:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but although it does make it easier on the department in regards to the budget, it just seems to place a TREMENDOUS financial burden on the officers to purchase a vehicle!

That can pose a problem, yes, especially for younger/newer officers who don't have any money put away. Getting started can really cost a lot of money up front.

But we get $13,000 per year so if you're smart you can come out pretty good on the deal. Let's say you buy a new Crown Vic Police Interceptor for 22k, and your payments are $440 per month. Then you pay $160 per month for insurance and $400 per month for gas and you're at $1,000 a month.

Well, they count our car allowance money as income, which means we get taxed on it and they take retirement out of it, so it comes out to something less than $1,000 per month.

Smart guys (like me!) buy used CVPIs because they drop in value like a rock after a few years.

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:
That can pose a problem, yes, especially for younger/newer officers who don't have any money put away. Getting started can really cost a lot of money up front.

That's exactly what I was thinking about. Come right out of college with a minimal amount of cash and be forced to buy a cruiser...yuck!
grin.gif

quote:

That's exactly what I was thinking about. Come right out of college with a minimal amount of cash and be forced to buy a cruiser...yuck!
grin.gif

My agency is rather unique, and most of us are veteran officers who have experience elsewhere. Once you get beyond the initial start-up expenses, it's not too bad. I feel bad for the new boots, though!

quote:

quote:

That can be said of any police car.

My goal (as it always has been) is to become a KY State Trooper.

-

Been around and have been interested in law enforcement all my life...matter of fact, just a few months ago I talked with a mechanic for Kentucky's largest metro police department.

Know what fails most often on CVPI's?

Transmission!

Engine failures are rare.

Although I personally wouldn't do it, I wish you the best of luck with this "test"...

confused.gif
)

Jelly, where was that photo taken, it looks familiar? I am a lifelong Ky resident an 2 of my buddies are KSP and I meet a lot of cops both as a vol. fireman and as a grocery store manager.

I like the idea of using Mobil 1 because it's so readily available. But I would suggest using the 0w20 weight since that's what Ford recommends for the 4.6. There's been a lot of discussion about whether or not a 20 weight will hold up over the long run. Particularly in hot climates. So far, used oil analyses on the 4.6 and 20 weights have shown great results.

Another thought. This fall the SM oils will be out. I would suggest waiting until these oils come out. Or does Mobil 1 already meet the SM specs? Having a test like this on obsolete oil would be interesting, but using the "latest and greatest" would be better.

My vote goes for a bargain basement approach:

Since the 4.6 calls for 5w-20, Exxon SuperFlo 5w-20 or Motorcraft 5w-20. It would be interesting to see just how good these oils actually are!

I'd like to see the Supertech filter used on it. But, for this application, I think the Motorcraft would be a better choice.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back