No more MC filters at AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped by AZ today for MC oil and a 400s, and noticed there were no more MC filters anywhere. Not even a spot for them on the shelf. I asked the parts guy and he said AZ pulled them because they didn't sell very well, and "Fram and STP have the same filtration as the MC" so they stopped carrying them.

Heck, over the course of 11 and a half years, I alone have bought about 75 FL400s filters from that store. (Well, during the first year or so they were just the FL400)

I got the oil from them, but I had to swing by Oreilly's for the filter. (They had two on the shelf, but one had a small ding on the can so I only bought one)

I like using the AZ rewards program, so I can still get the oil from them, but I'll have to stock up on filters elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Just buy a Purolator filter as they make Motorcraft oil filters.

Some people like the base end by-pass design in the MCs. But yes, Purolators are just as good - sans the by-pass valve location difference.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Some people like the base end by-pass design in the MCs. But yes, Purolators are just as good - sans the by-pass valve location difference.

"Like", that makes me laugh. An oil filter has one function, filter the oil. As long as it does that well and is made well, that's all that matters.

"Like", that makes me laugh. An oil filter has one function, filter the oil. As long as it does that well and is made well, that's all that matters.

Ford engineers designed MC filter with a base end bypass valve for a reason - so apparently they think there's a good reason for the base end by-pass valve. Some consumers believe it makes a difference, some don't. You know what opinions are like ... well, you know the rest of the phrase.
smile.gif

All AZ has to do now is get rid of the Bosch Premium and it will be a Rank Grp. only oil filter seller. I rarely shop AZ but that would be another bad move imo.

And once again, an uninformed opinion by the counterperson.

Though they have limited shelf space, both Wally and AAP still carry some MC applications.

If they were making good money selling them itd still be on their shelf. Dont know why you guys say its a bad move by them...if i have a business and something isnt generating much money, whats the point? My guess is that most ppl get MC filters from walmart anyways.never liked autozones brands to start with. Stick with advance or WM.

Are they doing walmart's trick?

I have been using Ford filters for 3 years now and seems every few months they disappear from the shelves - with no label on the shelf ... then they come back.

True but they make MC filters at MC Specs, so they are different. Just like why some have Silicone ADBV and the bypass at the TOP...

Far be it for someone to have a choice or opinion on different construction methods.
smirk.gif

Want a Cadillac CTS-V? Just buy a Chevy Spark, they're made by the same company.
Want a Lamborghini Aventador 700-4 or Bentley Mulsanne? Just buy a Jetta, they're made by the same company.
Want a Lexus LFA? Just buy a Corolla, they're made by the same company.

A car has one function, get someone from point A to point B. As long as it does that well and is made well, that's all that matters.

Originally Posted By: scurvy

Want a Cadillac CTS-V? Just buy a Chevy Spark, they're made by the same company.

Personally, I would take the spark. They are a blast to drive (for a small, slow car)

Originally Posted By: scurvy

Far be it for someone to have a choice or opinion on different construction methods.
smirk.gif

Want a Lamborghini Aventador 700-4 or Bentley Mulsanne? Just buy a Jetta, they're made by the same company.
Want a Lexus LFA? Just buy a Corolla, they're made by the same company.

A car has one function, get someone from point A to point B. As long as it does that well and is made well, that's all that matters.

You talk as though the average Joe has intimate knowledge on the inner workings of an oil filter to "feel" that a base end bypass valve is just what their car needs.

They are just oil filters, using your analogy you are saying that Purloator is a Jetta wile the Motorcraft is a Lamborhgini. Since the Purolator and Motorcraft filter are essentially the same price, the analogy is meaningless.

Last edited:

You talk as though the average Joe has intimate knowledge on the inner workings of an oil filter to "feel" that a base end bypass valve is just what their car needs.

Some "average Joes" do know the difference, and some above average Joes are filter SMEs.

Some "average Joes" do know the difference, and some above average Joes are filter SMEs.

I'm not saying that the average person is incapable of understanding what the difference between the bypass implementations, my argument is that <<< 1% of the people know what specific bypass implementation is needed for their engine.

I'm not saying that the average person is incapable of understanding what the difference between the bypass implementations, my argument is that span>

It's really not "needed", because if it was every aftermarket filter maker would also have a base end bypass valve specified for Ford applications. It's just something the Ford engineers designed into their OEM oil filters based on the orientation of the filter on most of their engines.

Ford engineers have no control over the aftermarket guys and what they do, and if it was really needed that bad, it would probably say in the OM or FSM that a base end by-pass valve must be used or warranty would be null and void ... but it doesn't.

The "hand full" of people who do know the difference, and do know the logic behind why Ford went with a base end bypass valve will most likely want to use a MC oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back