No more Super Tech MP?

Was at Wally World today walking through the clearance sections and found a bunch of ST oil filters. All of them were MP blue filters. Went to the oil filter section and they had none on the self. The only ones they had where the base white is ones.
IMG_0683.jpeg

More like making other products PAY for shelf space!
Yes, Walmart makes money on that shelf space those companies pay for. Removing these MP's possibly may not have been a financial profit for them. Product was good for us but not good for them so it got pulled.

Last edited:
My theory is people ended up reaching for a Fram Extra Guard (95% @20 micron 10K life) because its price of $4.12 was only slightly higher than the ST filter (99% @30 micron 10K life) at $3.84 and much lower than the MP at $5.97 (99% @30 20K life). Also the ST and Extra Guards are 10K filters that many people desire for a 5K OCI.
People may have also viewed the 20K like of the MP as not needed or desired to pay more for an Ultra Synthetic or Mobile 1 for the 20K life.

More like making other products PAY for shelf space!
That is so true about the shelf space in retail. What I've observed so far with the MPs gone at my Walmart is they've not yet been replaced with another product. Instead they've got all the filters arranged nicely on shelves in ascending price order; STs on the bottom shelf, then Extra Guards, Tough Guards, Ultras with Endurance and Mobil 1s on the top. Very orderly, visual and really easy to shop then find your filter.
The only exception is after the STs on the bottom shelf are the Subaru, Honda, Toyota, Mopar and Motorcraft filters.

I haven't seen SuperTech MPs here for months. They use to have spots and price tags on the shelf for them, but that's now gone too.

My theory is people ended up reaching for a Fram Extra Guard (95% @20 micron 10K life) because its price of $4.12 was only slightly higher than the ST filter (99% @30 micron 10K life) at $3.84 and much lower than the MP at $5.97 (99% @30 20K life). Also the ST and Extra Guards are 10K filters that many people desire for a 5K OCI.
People may have also viewed the 20K like of the MP as not needed or desired to pay more for an Ultra Synthetic or Mobile 1 for the 20K life.
I doubt walmart shoppers are looking at micron ratings.

The STMP was a "deluxe generic" product. How do you market that?

The filter reads 20,000 miles. Who wants that? To the average WM shopper that's way too long. Sell em a product that meets spec they can change out on time (or even more often.) That's the DIY buyer that shops there.

MP series being history now has been discussed here at least a couple months. Looks to be a fact now.

Most recently an ST white box cartridge filter posted looks to have been upgraded. Wonder if something similar planned for the ST white box spin on.

Most buyer's at Walmart probably saw no real difference between the ST and MP series, so couldn't justify the cost difference.
If you want to hear some funny stories hang out in the oil and filter section of Walmart. Apparently everyone has a Brother in laws, next door neighbors third cousin that gave them oil advice.

An BTW, I am still team "if you open it you bought it"

Was at Wally World today walking through the clearance sections and found a bunch of ST oil filters. All of them were MP blue filters. Went to the oil filter section and they had none on the self. The only ones they had where the base white is ones. View attachment 215600
There's "NO WAY" I would use these as the filter is just as important as the oil. Stick with the factory filter or a premium filter like K & N. Many of these cheap filter are poorly constructed and do NOT have a bypass valve.

There's "NO WAY" I would use these as the filter is just as important as the oil. Stick with the factory filter or a premium filter like K & N. Many of these cheap filter are poorly constructed and do NOT have a bypass valve.
The ST and MP filters are built by champion labs and are nice filters. If the application they’re sized for requires a bypass valve, they will have one lol.

Back