No more love for TGMO?!

Hi everyone. First post here. I own a 16 tundra 5.7 (non flex fuel) I’m an auto tech so I do all my own work and maintenance. Bought the truck used in 2021. I’ve been using TGMO 0w-20 in it for oil changes. Truck doesn’t use any oil and as far as I can tell the oil is preforming okay. I only live 3 miles from work so trips are short because of that I’m doing 3500 to 4000 OCI’s.

My question is.. TGMO used to be highly rated on here.. it seemed like the High Rating has slowly faded away lately. Im not a huge AmsOil fan.. I’ve seen motors full of sludge that have ran it.. although OCI’s had a lot to do with that. But I’ve been pondering the Ams oil “boosted series.” What’s everyone’s opinion on these two oils? Keeping this truck for the long haul.. unless something wild and crazy would happen.

Short OCI like that? not sure it matters. I mean, short trips aren't good, you can get varnish on low quality stuff, but I have to wonder, short OCI, low miles, gonna take years to find out if there is a problem--and those years can tick by and the truck can go bye-bye for other reasons, long before "wrong oil problems" could rear their head.

The only issue I have is TGMO base stock. The oil relies on the big slug of moly and VII. Like the moly but too much VII. As long as your OCI is short TGMO is great but I have moved on personally to PUP with a GTL base stock.

The only issue I have is TGMO base stock. The oil relies on the big slug of moly and VII. Like the moly but too much VII. As long as your OCI is short TGMO is great but I have moved on personally to PUP with a GTL base stock.
So would you consider the base stock a group 3 at least? My big thing is varnish build up. So is the Molly a good thing? Again my short OCI’s probably are short enough to not really hurt anything. The Amsoil “Boosted” series looks like it has a lot of detergents to keep stuff clean.

So would you consider the base stock a group 3 at least? My big thing is varnish build up. So is the Molly a good thing? Again my short OCI’s probably are short enough to not really hurt anything. The Amsoil “Boosted” series looks like it has a lot of detergents to keep stuff clean.

Would you still be changing the Amsoil every 3-4000 miles? That would not be cost efficient.

I like the moly for immediate wear but that type moly called dinuclear needs more than trinuclear moly to work. The viscosity index is really high on TGMO 0w-20. (227) That would be great if it came from a GTL or PAO base oil that made a viscosity index without polymer VI improvers. But the base oil does not contribute to the viscosity index. VII has shear issues and targets just the minimum/max temperature range of that 0w-20 viscosity range.

I do like a severe service oil change over expensive oil that sells their oil on long service change.

Last edited:
I like the moly for immediate wear but that type moly called dinuclear needs more than trinuclear moly to work. The viscosity index is really high on TGMO 0w-20. (227) That would be great if it came from a GTL or PAO base oil that made a viscosity index without polymer VI improvers. But the base oil does not contribute to the viscosity index. VII has shear issues and targets just the minimum/max temperature range of that 0w-20 viscosity range.

I do like a severe service oil change over expensive oil that sells their oil on long service change.
You got my head spinning here. Wanna sum that up in words I can understand?

TGMO went cheap on the base oil and use VI improvers to make the 0w-20 multi viscosity spread. Base oil is 80-85% of the oil.
Thanks for summing that up. I appreciate it! I just changed my oil right before Christmas. So maybe at the next one I’ll change things up brand wise.

Me: (2017 Tacoma 3.5L) KISS; about every 6 months (weather dependent) I make a stop at the local Toyota dealer; p/u an OEM filter, gasket & 6qts of TGMO 0w-20. (Last one was $48
7AE4559D-631B-4134-8109-D22AAAF5B6CA.jpeg
I’m working from home 3-4 days a week, so this has been working out to 5-6k between changes. Pre-RONA it was close to 10k. Other than a few early trials with Motul, this has been the routine since new. (Same goes for my wife’s Prius-C (1L 3 cyl ☹️).

I think I posted a UOA here. I get them periodically just for kicks and curiosity.

My intentions are to stay this course. And keep the truck another 10 years. I’d bet just about anything. Truck will end up getting totaled or electronic demons or rust will kill it long before this oil change regime does.

Bonus, the guys at the dealer seem to recognize me, so if I need them for something big I might get a break (For the big 60k service he def. Gave me a discount on the parts)

Hi everyone. First post here. I own a 16 tundra 5.7 (non flex fuel) I’m an auto tech so I do all my own work and maintenance. Bought the truck used in 2021. I’ve been using TGMO 0w-20 in it for oil changes. Truck doesn’t use any oil and as far as I can tell the oil is preforming okay. I only live 3 miles from work so trips are short because of that I’m doing 3500 to 4000 OCI’s.

My question is.. TGMO used to be highly rated on here.. it seemed like the High Rating has slowly faded away lately. Im not a huge AmsOil fan.. I’ve seen motors full of sludge that have ran it.. although OCI’s had a lot to do with that. But I’ve been pondering the Ams oil “boosted series.” What’s everyone’s opinion on these two oils? Keeping this truck for the long haul.. unless something wild and crazy would happen.

I can’t say that I have ever heard of Amsoil causing sludge. You mentioned that the OCI was a factor. Were these neglected engines?

Rating? What rating?

And:
Im not a huge AmsOil fan.. I’ve seen motors full of sludge that have ran it..

Pretty much tells us everything.

I can’t say that I have ever heard of Amsoil causing sludge. You mentioned that the OCI was a factor. Were these neglected engines?
Older man that is a dealer for them. Swears by 25k intervals. He does nothing but short trips.

Back