No Mobil 1 SN oil in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.
API SN came out last October, and while there is still a lot of SM oil stock to go through, for most high-volume products, the shelves are now mostly full of SN-spec oil.

Except it seems, for Mobil 1 oils in Canada.

Mobil 1 is a decent seller up here, and most stores have enough turn-around that we should have jugs of M1 SN-spec oil by now. But i've been to many Canadian Tire's and Wal-Marts up here (our volume movers by far), and have not yet seen 1 bottle of SN-spec Mobil 1, it's all SM. Even the brand-new AFE 0W-20 they now stock is all API SM.

Most of the jugs even have the new Mobil 1 labels that were brough out just a bit before SN, but they still are all SM. Go to the Mobil in Canada website, all the spec sheets are for Mobil 1 SM products, while the ones in the US are mostly all SN.

Will Canada not be getting SN-spec Mobil 1? I'm serious - it should have showed up by now, someone should have run out of SM-spec M1, and be stocking the new SN.....but there is none, and i've been to enough stores that I should have seen some....

I don't think you are missing anything special. The older AFE was proven and i think I would choose that over the new SN if I had the choice. Syn's aren't really that affected base oil wise. If you are a conventional user than I would be wanting the SN to show up. "Syn" base oils haven't really improved under SN but conventionals were stepped up a notch.

You know what I mean, Poorly written, but I hope you see my point. I was the same way though, I was hitting all of the auto places to find SN, the people behind the counters looked at me like I was from another planet;)

I hear what you are saying, and I agree.

I wasn't desparately seeking out SN-spec M1, it was more curiosity that I thought I would have seen some bottles of it on the shelves up here by now.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I don't think you are missing anything special. The older AFE was proven and i think I would choose that over the new SN if I had the choice. Syn's aren't really that affected base oil wise. If you are a conventional user than I would be wanting the SN to show up. "Syn" base oils haven't really improved under SN but conventionals were stepped up a notch.

You know what I mean, Poorly written, but I hope you see my point. I was the same way though, I was hitting all of the auto places to find SN, the people behind the counters looked at me like I was from another planet;)

Huh? SN>SM. And all M1 oils now meet ACEA-08 specs.

I'm pretty sure I've seen SN Mobil 1 at the Walmarts in my area, but the next time I'm there I'll double check.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I'm pretty sure I've seen SN Mobil 1 at the Walmarts in my area, but the next time I'm there I'll double check.

Nothing out this way at CT or WM - all still SM for M1 products. The Mobil conventional products are available in SM and SN. CT still had some SM until recently, and RCWC has had SN for a while. Incidentally, RCWC's M1 is still SM, though.

Yeah, that was one thing I forgot to mention in my original post - Mobil conventiopnal oils HAVe started to show up in SN, in both standard and HM variants, but NOT in M1!

I just find that really, really weird, and it looks like Mobil is deliberately NOT providing Canada with SN-spec M1 products.

I know that's not the case, but there can't be SO much SM stuff that not one store has SN-spec stuff....or can there?

Yeah they are intentionally snubbing Canada so only the U.S. gets the good stuff lol.

Originally Posted By: buster
Yeah they are intentionally snubbing Canada so only the U.S. gets the good stuff lol.

Good one buster.

Although I recently picked up some SN M1 0W-40 in the States at AZ for less than 1/3rd of the price at Cdn Tire, I couldn't care less about whether it is SM or SN.

I just got back from my local Walmart (at South Common Mall in Erin Mills) and I knew I wasn't seeing things, as they do have SN Mobil 1 there! It is only in 5w30 though, and they have it in both the 1L bottles and in the 4.4L jugs. All other viscosities of M1 are still the old SM formula.

Alright, I guess it just took the market a while to 'catch up' here - I guess there was lots of SM stock to go through.

Went to a WM last night, and found bottles of M1 SN 5W-20 and 5W-30 on the shelf.

I also hadn't seen any Castrol Syntec SN yet, and I found a shop the other day selling Edge 0W-20 w/LT SN the other day as well.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back