Nissan Versa: Common issues?

Ask a guy who owned one. The new base sedan was the worst car I have ever driven and inspected in the past decade - poorly and cheaply built.
Was shopping one hard before I got my little Ford-Mahindra. Also previously had a 2014 Versa Note. briefly - an imitation Honda Fit and My Fit Sport wasn't that great either.
I love my 2015 Note! I tried the Honda Fit and it was too small for me, as was the Toyota Yaris.

I leave the back seats folded down and use it like a miniature SUV. It will hold 17 electric guitars in hard cases... And still gets 30 mpg around town!

Also, 8 Texas summers and the AC is still going strong without a recharge. That's a rare feat!

But yes, the metal parts for the undercarriage and suspension are definitely ecomomy grade. No off-roading intended nor recommended.

Not sure how well it would hold up to Northern winter road salt... But it's been a good car for me and how I use it, a suburban mini SUV in Texas.

ps. I would not buy a Nissan CVT vehicle unless it came with a lifetime no-fault replacement warranty. Also, their service departments are scammy... More than most other brands. Fortunately the Versa MT is easy to work on. You don't need a Nissan mechanic, just an honest one.

Last edited:
I love my 2015 Note! I tried the Honda Fit and it was too small for me, as was the Toyota Yaris.

ps. I would not buy a Nissan CVT vehicle unless it came with a lifetime no-fault replacement warranty. Also, their service departments are scammy... More than most other brands. Fortunately the Versa MT is easy to work on. You don't need a Nissan mechanic, just an honest one.
I am 6 foot 1in / 245lbs and fit fine in a fit or Yaris or Versa but that's a personal thing.

I was wanting to like my very affordable Versa Note, but a defective Chinese oil filter (Nissan) took out the engine the first cold morning. Engine developed a loud knock the dealer service dept. would not address, so I traded it for a 2014 Rogue Select.

Funny, the front sales office was clueless on what was going on in service. So I made out O.K.

The biggest thing with the Note was the small front windshield intrusive A pillars and a high cowl - like you are looking out a back window. The expensive Fit Sport on the other hand had a panoramic view out the front - as if the car had no hood. I recall the Yaris 3 door being the most fun to drive overall, but they all had pretty sloppy, rubbery front suspension with struts the size of pencils.

- Ken

The biggest thing with the Note was the small front windshield intrusive A pillars and a high cowl - like you are looking out a back window. The expensive Fit Sport on the other hand had a panoramic view out the front - as if the car had no hood.
I felt the Fit was a better vehicle over the Versa in so many ways it boggled my mind that they were considered to be in the same class of vehicles. I think most Versa sales were based on price alone.

Admittedly I have not driven a 20+ Versa.

I felt the Fit was a better vehicle over the Versa in so many ways it boggled my mind that they were considered to be in the same class of vehicles. I think most Versa sales were based on price alone.

Admittedly I have not driven a 20+ Versa.
Yeah, but not 4 grand better. All throw away cars. Honda at 120K miles, Nissan at 85K miles :)
The days of the 13 grand econobox are gone. That's used car territory now. I even drove a Chevy Spark with manual before I got a deal on my EcoSport, not terrible brand new - but no elbow room - stupid, unwanted power steering(!). I Felt crowded against the door. So no dice.

People will keep tlaking about the CVT issues form 8-10 model years ago.
That was back then they are currently just fine.
Reviews on the versa have eben universally very positive , glowing even.
If the fluid and filters are changed by 20K miles and continue to be changed at 20-30k intervals, the CVT will hold up just fine

I like a plain, simple small sedan like the Versa especially with a 5MT. It's a little disheartening that the 5MT gets 5 mpg less than the CVT in both city and highway driving estimates. IIRC it's 27 city 35 highway with the stick versus 32 city 40 highway with the CVT.

The CVT works great for fuel time! Our 2019 Sentra gets crazy fuel economy. I always considered myself a good hypermiler but I can't come close to the CVT in the Sentra.

$17,955 MSRP

Capture.JPG

I’m still tempted but keep kicking the can. Having a hard time buying something new based on my annual mileage.

I’m still tempted but keep kicking the can. Having a hard time buying something new based on my annual mileage.

Back