Nissan Versa: Common issues?

In the very early phase of new car shopping, window shopping really at this point from the computer haha. Never really had my eye on a Nissan but cost of entry for a new Versa caught my eye, specifically the most basic there is in 2023, which i believe is the S package with a manual transmission.

What are the common problems to consider?

The biggest problem will be finding an S model with 5mt. I've not heard of a Nissan dealer that will order one for you. They claim they cannot. They get what they get from the factory. Best they can do is locate one for you. Finding one in a reasonable radius is difficult.

Other than that, they're a decent car. I've got a 2015 sedan with the old school 4spd automatic. It's a far cry from the 2020+ in terms of refinement and modern amenities.

Ive got a 2015. I like mine but the suspension is very weak. It had one factory recall repair to the suspension, and another time it needed an alignment after going over some railroad tracks. After having some hail damage repaired, it seems the brake rotors are slightly bent now too... Probably as a result of someone at the body shop taking it for a spirited "test" drive... But I can't prove it. But all together I'm happy with it and would buy another. Mine is the hatchback model which was discontinued, but the frame, engine, and transmission are otherwise identical. I prefer manual transmissions, the only other manual transmission passenger vehicles available now are luxury sports cars. Mine is a great around town car, and can handle 70 mph on the highway, but highway driving is not where it shines.

Nothing wrong with a basic manual Versa. The hardest thing to service is the cabin filter :sneaky:
I like a plain, simple small sedan like the Versa especially with a 5MT. It's a little disheartening that the 5MT gets 5 mpg less than the CVT in both city and highway driving estimates. IIRC it's 27 city 35 highway with the stick versus 32 city 40 highway with the CVT.

The biggest problem will be finding an S model with 5mt. I've not heard of a Nissan dealer that will order one for you. They claim they cannot. They get what they get from the factory. Best they can do is locate one for you. Finding one in a reasonable radius is difficult.
I'll echo this statement. Good luck finding a dealer willing to order or find one for you. I worked at a Nissan dealership in sales many years ago and the sales managers had ZERO interest in getting one for a customer. There is little mark-up on base models cars like the Versa and they would rather sell you higher trim levels with higher mark-up to make more money.

Ask a guy who owned one. The new base sedan was the worst car I have ever driven and inspected in the past decade - poorly and cheaply built.
Was shopping one hard before I got my little Ford-Mahindra. Also previously had a 2014 Versa Note. briefly - an imitation Honda Fit and My Fit Sport wasn't that great either.

Ask a guy who owned one. The new base sedan was the worst car I have ever driven and inspected in the past decade - poorly and cheaply built.
Was shopping one hard before I got my little Ford-Mahindra. Also previously had a 2014 Versa Note. briefly - an imitation Honda Fit and My Fit Sport wasn't that great either.
update: I have not driven the new redesigned '23 model. But Nissan/Renault quality and build is suspect. I read now Nissan is kicking Renault to the curb - good move.

Other than that, they're a decent car. I've got a 2015 sedan with the old school 4spd automatic. It's a far cry from the 2020+ in terms of refinement and modern amenities.
I'll echo this statement. Good luck finding a dealer willing to order or find one for you. I worked at a Nissan dealership in sales many years ago and the sales managers had ZERO interest in getting one for a customer. There is little mark-up on base models cars like the Versa and they would rather sell you higher trim levels with higher mark-up to make more money.
Yeah... similar experience when we bought our Cruze 10 years ago, guessing it has not gotten any better based on all the supply chain up and downs over the last few years. Happens to be one sitting at a dealer close by with a couple of hundred of dollars in package stuff added on but I'm not really at the point of being ready to buy. At the same time, wondering what entry level/mid sized sedan I am going to be interested in when we actually "need to" buy (likely in the next few years) given the various price points as models continue to get slimmed down and MTs are few and far between.

Back