Nexcel plug and play oil system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nexcel

I can see it now no more bottles or filter isles just different companies offering these closed systems with your oil and filter built in already. I think it’s a good idea.

No thanks, i prefer to chose my filter and oil. What if the nexcel oil viscosity cartridge won't fit my car? Say i want to run 5w 30 in my 0w20 engine, but there is no nexcel cartridge in that viscosity that fits.

I would not buy a car that utilizes that system.

Last edited:
looks like the engine is dry sump, so it does a fairly complete oil change. Dry sump can be superior, less crankcase pumping losses.

It is not a good system for the BTOG. For many would free them from the local oil change place. Cost I am sure will be at least double, probably much more than a convention oil change. With patents it takes away all choice, so is another monopoly. So would you go get a $100 module to change your oil?

Vote no. Business opportunity making kits to remove nexcel

Rod

Underhood space is at a premium these days. Where will this thing fit?
Assume it does fit then. ragtoplvr is right, where patents produce a restrictive monopoly on availability and increase the cost.

Also, I wonder how many of these modules will just be wiped off and put in another vehicle (unethical people; imagine that) without changing the oil and/or filter inside? You have no way of knowing since you can't see inside it, so a dirty oil filter and used oil can easily hide.

I'm against this for many reasons, and I'm even a person who thinks canister oil filters should be banned for ecological waste reasons since cartridges don't have all the metal waste. And cartridge oil filters allow better inspection for quality before you put it in. Like canister oil filters, this Nexcel thing keeps you from seeing what goes into your engine. Bad idea this Nexcel folly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Melectric
Electric vehicles will take off before this does.

+1.

If we were to generate less waste, why not buy the oil in bulk where we bring our own jugs for re-filling.

From their site

Quote:

employs an electronic handshake to ensure the each engine receives exactly the right oil specification

Printer cartridges for cars; i.e. if you don't buy it from an approved source (the original idea maker) it will not work.

Lock in....

I have no aversion to improvements like this might be, but it invites abuse .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back