"Newest" Rotella in Gasoline engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mods move this to the HDEO section if this is the wrong forum for this question.

From my understanding, the old Rotella had a dual rating, and with the latest mixes, they removed the SM/SN rating.

Is the new Rotella this still safe to use with a catalytic converter vehicle?

Some theories are that they removed the S-rating due to the release of the Gas Truck oil.

Originally Posted by MontePrix28
Mods move this to the HDEO section if this is the wrong forum for this question.

From my understanding, the old Rotella had a dual rating, and with the latest mixes, they removed the SM/SN rating.

Is the new Rotella this still safe to use with a catalytic converter vehicle?

Some theories are that they removed the S-rating due to the release of the Gas Truck oil.

See https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4359102/The_new_Rotella_T5_and_T6_no_l . Somewhere I recall reading this having to do with reduced levels of Phosphorus in a future API or ILSAC spec and SOPUS just wanting to get out ahead of that.

I don't think it had anything to do with RGT. There is a Rotella synthetic HDEO that has the SN specification, and I'm using it. As for 15w-40 or 5w-40 or whatever grade that may or may not have an API S rating any longer, look at it this way. If an ACEA E7, E9 lubricant was suitable for your gasser a number of months ago, nothing has changed in the world that would make it suddenly unsuitable.

40 grades can still be SN with elevated phosphorus. Shell opted not to go that route for 5w-40, for instance. If you feel you need to see an SN on the jug, go to Shell Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w-30. If you feel you need a 40 with SN, then go to Pennzoil Euro 5w-40.

Since you did not specify an engine, nor a vehicle that is equipped with said engine, nor which grade of rotella, I'm left to assume you just need an sn oil. Sopus offers plenty of regular pcmo sn oils under the formula shell, Quaker state and Pennzoil trade names. I'm guessing that you think you need rotella for some reason, in a gas engine, but you don't. If you're really that worried about the sn spec not being listed on the container, then don't use it. That's all I know to tell you without specifics.

Like Garak said, RT MV is SN rated, even SN PLUS from a Shell email I got.

I use it in my TGDI with really good results.

Like others said, what engine it goes in would be important to know.

I don't know of this is old stock but this was recently seen at Walmart.
It's 0w40 with a CJ-4 and SN rating.

F87D7755-16C3-4B25-B371-7B404BD3099F.jpeg

5678E76C-9994-47F9-BC40-CEA218F2D89C.jpeg

Last edited:
And the Rotella jug is 5L, not a gallon as I have seen previously, nor 5 quarts, as is typical, but a full 5 liters. Plus a 0W-40 grade to boot. Need to look at, and possibly get into T6 again. Thx.

Originally Posted by aba4430
And the Rotella jug is 5L, not a gallon as I have seen previously, nor 5 quarts, as is typical, but a full 5 liters. Plus a 0W-40 grade to boot. Need to look at, and possibly get into T6 again. Thx.

In Canada we get pretty much all oil jugs in 5L instead of 1 gallon except a few.

In the US, the same oil will be in a gallon (3.78L)

My FA20 engine takes 5.1L of oil, but due to the leftover oil in the crank after a drain, a 5L jug fill it perfectly to the upper line of the dipstick, I gotta admit it's pretty satisfying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back