Is Rotella T6 always the answer?

Hey, looking for options for my 2003 Land Rover Defender Td5. I recently imported this from the UK to Canada when I moved here (owned it 15 years).

By the book it specs 5w30 A1/B1 oil, although other viscosities are acceptable, 5w40 is shown as having the same ambient temp ratings.

Is there a reason to stick to a A1/B1 oil? It seems options of this are far more limited over here in N America. Is there any harm in going for a 5w40 HDEO like Rotella? Although being similar to a VW PD engine as it has unit injectors, I have seen very very few almost non-existant reports of Td5s actually suffering from any meaningful wear, they usually die from other means like cracked heads filling the sump with diesel.

I've tried and failed to understand the ACEA ratings. Is there a reason A1/B1 would be specced over something like A3/B4 which on paper seems to be more stout with a higher HTHS?

Any other recommendations?

Being a diesel without a DPF that will be ran on ULSD, any ACEA A3/B4, ACEA C3, API CI-4, or API CJ-4/CK-4 oil should work fine in it, since A1/B1 was the original requirement even API FA-4 would probably work just fine.

you wont go wrong with T6.. not too mention availability of T6 is high... older diesel engine's aren't very picky, Euro specs aside..forget about the old recommendations anyway, that was what they had to recommend at the time but a modern CK4 oil will outperform whatever they were recommending 20 years ago,

very interested what owning/driving a diesel Defender is like-ride/fuel consumption/reliability and ideal cruising speed ???-thought I would someday get one but.........

Heck it could be the cheapest 15w-40 and it would be fine but in the winters it would suck. I'd use t6 0w-40 or a 0w-30 like m1 esp if it gets cold enough.

I have used pure HDEO in my last 5 cars and one motorbike so i see no reason for you to stick with ACEA A1/B1 oil, if you get it cheaper then even less reason. But surely you can find other HDEOs than just Rotella?

I have used pure HDEO in my last 5 cars and one motorbike so i see no reason for you to stick with ACEA A1/B1 oil, if you get it cheaper then even less reason. But surely you can find other HDEOs than just Rotella?
Especially when you consider that both A1 and B1 are obsolete Sequences, replaced by C5. The OP's owner's manual is outdated and there's no reason to chase such a specification.

Hey, looking for options for my 2003 Land Rover Defender Td5. I recently imported this from the UK to Canada when I moved here (owned it 15 years).

By the book it specs 5w30 A1/B1 oil, although other viscosities are acceptable, 5w40 is shown as having the same ambient temp ratings.

Is there a reason to stick to a A1/B1 oil? It seems options of this are far more limited over here in N America. Is there any harm in going for a 5w40 HDEO like Rotella? Although being similar to a VW PD engine as it has unit injectors, I have seen very very few almost non-existant reports of Td5s actually suffering from any meaningful wear, they usually die from other means like cracked heads filling the sump with diesel.

I've tried and failed to understand the ACEA ratings. Is there a reason A1/B1 would be specced over something like A3/B4 which on paper seems to be more stout with a higher HTHS?

Any other recommendations?
Is rotella always the answer? 🤔🤔🤔🥱🥱

Especially when you consider that both A1 and B1 are obsolete Sequences, replaced by C5. The OP's owner's manual is outdated and there's no reason to chase such a specification.

I thought A5/B5 superseded A1/B1?

I believe the Td5 got spec'd with an A1/B1 oil due to the partnership with Ford at the time. A1/B1 is what was recommended for all Ford vehicles in the late 90's and early 2000's here in the UK. Although they did have their own specification (WSSM2C-913 A, B, C or D) which was heavily based around A1/B1 and then A5/B5.

If it was mine? M1 0w40 FS and maybe a 300TDi conversion. :ROFLMAO:

Is rotella always the answer? 🤔🤔🤔🥱🥱
I think T6 5W40 would be the one oil pretty much every gas or diesel 4 stroke on planet would be OK with, in most climates too! Not ideal for all of them, but it would work pretty well in most!
For one summer a few years ago I think had it in almost everything in my garage. ATV, tractor, mower, tiller, one of the cars...

A wise man once posted that friends don't let friends use Rotella.
I mean…. What was asked in the OP’s initial post blew my mind. Nowhere did I see a “requires” HDEO. Maybe I’m dense but we don’t even know where the OP lives or if his vehicle is a diesel or gas. Basically: a question posted where poster already looked at owners manual and then asks if HDEO is “acceptable/OK to use”

I’m done, been long week and somedays I just have to shake my head.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230518-212507_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230518-212507_Samsung Internet.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 16
Back