Newer auto transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me, or automagic transmissions getting very very complicated? 6 speed, 8 speed, duall clutch....kinda scary out of warranty...

Last edited:
I wonder if they are really more money to repair/replace.

Someone who has access to, say, a GM parts site should get a price for a 4-speed (like the 60 and 65) and then the 6 speed.

Or better yet, someone who can get the toyota site get the old 4 speed from a lexus, then the new 8 speed from the same car...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I wonder if they are really more money to repair/replace.

Someone who has access to, say, a GM parts site should get a price for a 4-speed (like the 60 and 65) and then the 6 speed.

Or better yet, someone who can get the toyota site get the old 4 speed from a lexus, then the new 8 speed from the same car...

Good question. I have read but can't verify that some modern 6 speeds are mechanically simpler that the older 4 speeds.

Originally Posted By: alphasparky353
Is it just me, or automagic transmissions getting very very complicated? 6 speed, 8 speed, duall clutch....kinda scary out of warranty...
It's still cheaper than a new car... When you buy a new car put 30% of your car payment amount away into a maintenance fund. (Budget to buy a car that is 30% less than you can afford in payments if need be and possible) and then when the car is paid off and needs repairs the money is there without having to break the bank.

wink.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
It'll cost a ton of money to rebuilt modern 6,7 and 8 speed AT.

It's to the point they won't be repairable. Just yank and replace as a whole. I hear you though. There's SO much going on in a little package it's scarry. Too many things that can fail.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
I hear you though. There's SO much going on in a little package it's scarry. Too many things that can fail.

Joel

I have a feeling that is what people said in the early 1900's when they saw their first car!

Clark

Originally Posted By: ClarkB
I hear you though. There's SO much going on in a little package it's scarry. Too many things that can fail.

Joel

I have a feeling that is what people said in the early 1900's when they saw their first car!

Clark

Agreed. I've heard the same lament about cars for years-they are always getting too intricate.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Heck, it cost $2700 for a Reman 3T40 transaxle for my cavalier. Simple isn't always better.

The local transmission shop used to rebuild those for under 1500 (including R&R). You might want to check around.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: alphasparky353
It's still cheaper than a new car... When you buy a new car put 30% of your car payment amount away into a maintenance fund. (Budget to buy a car that is 30% less than you can afford in payments if need be and possible) and then when the car is paid off and needs repairs the money is there without having to break the bank.

wink.gif

StevieC,

You must not understand us Americans. We buy cars 50% more than we can actually afford. We put zero dollars toward maintenance fund or Christmas fund or any fund at all. We live way beyond our mean and own an average of $20k on the plastics. Those of us that actually save, a very small percentage of those actually save it correctly and even fewer have a car fund. On very die-in-cast enthusiasts set money aside for cars and they are usually kids getting their first ride or people looking for a dream car. But the things going now are that parents give their kids a 2-4 years old car so there is an excuse to buy a new car for themselves on credit.

I am a car enthusiast myself but I don't have a car fund. I have a gun fund though.

Yes, they're getting complicated. But on the other hand, the current crop (except for Honda... still) is holding up quite a bit better than the first generation of electronic transmissions did 10-15 years ago, even though those were relatively simple by comparison. In a way, adding more forward speeds isn't that complicated. Once you have the mechanism and control software, just add more copies to add more gears (and with planetary gearsets in series, adding one more planetary set potentially adds *many* more forward and reverse speed combinations).

Originally Posted By: ClarkB

Joel

Clark

Of course they did. It still doesn't make ATs any less complicated as the years roll by. IMO, the issue with them is no real standardization aside from the basic concept and maybe some basic parts like seals, bolts, etc, yet they still all do the same thing. Prices will always be high on them because there's a bunch of AT manufactures constantly putting out new and different units. It seems like the days of a super long application run for an AT are over. ie; The C6, 4L60E, 4T40, etc..

Joel

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Hasn't stopped people from buying them.

i don't have a choice in the minivan market!

With new trannies getting more and more complicated, and I would think more and more suseptible to failure, I can't figure out why more and more manufacturers recommend not changing the fluid at all. Unless something in the industry has changed that I'm unaware of, tranny fluid still goes bad and SHOULD be changed. Maybe this is why so many trannies fail because people follow the recommendations to not change the fluid.

Originally Posted By: grampi
With new trannies getting more and more complicated, and I would think more and more suseptible to failure, I can't figure out why more and more manufacturers recommend not changing the fluid at all. Unless something in the industry has changed that I'm unaware of, tranny fluid still goes bad and SHOULD be changed. Maybe this is why so many trannies fail because people follow the recommendations to not change the fluid.

Or recommend changing the fluid right after the warranty runs out. Like Honda recommending the first fluid change coming at the end of their 60k powertrain warranty. Then every 30k miles after that. Convenient when the customer's transmission dies at 62k miles. "Oh, so sorry, you're out of warranty! That's $2500, please!"

The fluid on the 2009 Honda in the family was changed at 20k miles. Glad I did, as it was toast by then.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord

StevieC,

You must not understand us Americans. We buy cars 50% more than we can actually afford. We put zero dollars toward maintenance fund or Christmas fund or any fund at all. We live way beyond our mean and own an average of $20k on the plastics. Those of us that actually save, a very small percentage of those actually save it correctly and even fewer have a car fund. On very die-in-cast enthusiasts set money aside for cars and they are usually kids getting their first ride or people looking for a dream car. But the things going now are that parents give their kids a 2-4 years old car so there is an excuse to buy a new car for themselves on credit. ...

So sad... We have those in Canada too but it's less common IMO from overspending and more from being over-taxed.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back