Newbie Question: Can I use GC 0-30 in new WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I safely use GC 0w-30 for the first oil change in my new Subaru WRX(turbo). The manual specifies 5W-30 for my temp range(Texas). Everything I've read in the last couple of weeks indicates this should be OK but just want to make sure.

Thanks
Randy f.

Many engines seem to take about 20k miles before they are totally broken in if you judge it by oil analysis results. So, if you don't mind doing oil changes, put a quality 5W-30 mineral oil in it and do a short run of it (2-3k miles) to help clean out the new engine's debris before you run more expensive oil for longer intervals. Many here would probably suggest Havoline, but the heavens won't fall if you choose another. Then move on to GC next change.

Absolutely! GC is a great all-temperature oil that's like a heavy 30w when hot. It have an excellent addative pack. Your turbo motor will love it! I would wait until your car has 5,000 miles on it, or whatever Subaru says, before changeover. Give your engine plenty of break-in time on the original oil.

After much debate and reading on Subie forums, I decided to delay the switch to synthetic on my 2005 STi until I hit 10,000 miles. I used conventional and semi-synthetic oil during the first 10k and then made the switch over to GC. I just posted the UOA on GC here if you're interested.

Your WRX will 'purr like a kitten' with Syntec.
wink.gif

Look at all the UOA's and you will see that its a great oil for a turbocharged engine.

In my 05 sti i changed to M1 5w-30 at 3000 miles. I burned some m1, but i did not burn a drop of royal purple. I will be switching to GC tonight and will report back.

Everyones theory of engine break in is different, along with when to switch to synthetic oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back