New Toro Mower oil question

Coming from a Honda that used 10w-30.

My new Toro manual (Briggs and Stratton motor) says 10w-30 may need to be checked more frequently when used over 80°F due to burn off.

The temp chart recommends synthetic 5w-30 up to 100°F outside air temp. (I can't imagine I will be mowing in 100 degree weather anyway).

Can anyone explain this? Is this some new fangled engine design?

Last edited:
Briggs has been putting that in their manuals for years. It really doesn't make sense, since I've seen more burn off with 5w30 in small engines.

Use whatever oil you like, 5w30, 10w30, 10w40, 15w40, etc as long as you check it and keep it full your engine won't care. I've had good luck using a HDEO 15w40 in small engines personally.

The manual says 5W-30 UP TO 100 deg. If you're not going to mow in temps over 100 deg, you have your answer .

Someone at B&S could have been PO’d and had another job offer when he/she came up with that nonsense. B&S acts like it’s the gospel.

For those interested, this is the B&S chart:

Oil Recommendations
Oil Recommedations

* Below 40°F (4°C) the use of SAE 30 will result in hard starting.

** Above 80°F (27°C) the use of 10W30 may cause increased oil consumption. Check oil level more frequently.

According to it, the "only" recommended oil above 100F is Vanguard Synthetic 15-50. Yeah, right. I'm using synthetic 10W30;
don't expect to mow above 100F either.

Regards,
John

I bought a new Toro with a B&S motor about 3 years ago. I just run conventional SAE 30 and it works fine…No issues with oil burning.

samo for my B+S engined CC30H i recently purchased + after the recommended 5 hrs-mows i put in VP 30 10-30 a real synthetic + must comment the OE oil looked very POOR!! mower runs great + the hydrostatic tranny well worth the xtra $$$ IMO. i also live in Pa, i installed the optional drain hose for easier + cleaner future changes!

I've been running 10w30 "conventional" in both of my Toro Super Recycler mowers (both have a B&S) engine for the last 15 years, and in my 5500 watt generator with zero consumption.

Once my stash of Havoline Deposit Shield 10w30 is exhausted, I'll be switching over to some type of 5w30 oil.

The recommendation is spot on.

Conventional 10W30 does consume while mowing here in Florida in the summer 92-95 degrees.

Synthetic 5W30 will stay at the full mark all season long.

Strange phenomenon, but I’ve seen it first hand.

SAE 30 has been in all engines which I use during the summer months. Some engines will use some oil or puff some smoke upon start up when lighter weights are used.

Briggs has been putting that in their manuals for years. It really doesn't make sense, since I've seen more burn off with 5w30 in small engines.

Use whatever oil you like, 5w30, 10w30, 10w40, 15w40, etc as long as you check it and keep it full your engine won't care. I've had good luck using a HDEO 15w40 in small engines personally.
15w40 is an excellent choice for air cooled engines.

Once my remaining bottles of 30hd are used up I’m switching all of my small engines tom15w-40 except for my generator. It will get 5w-30 in case I need to start it in very cold weather.

Back