New winner in value for money...NOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was out spending this morning (Saturday morning tradition as it turns out).

Stepped into the local auto-parts place just to look at their oil selection. No purchase intended.

Mobil 1 advertising "New SM formula" caught my eye, and I started ogling the bottles with their new labels.

Checked the price on the shelf...$104.99 for 5 litres of Mobil 1 0W-40. The 10W-30 was far better value at $15 cheaper.

Lucky that the Oz dollar is doing well at the moment, or synthetic oils would be really expensive and out of the reach of the average backyard mechanic.

Makes my GrIII Castrol at $180 per 20l drum look like a bargain.

For that much money, it had better:

1) deliver double the fuel economy of any other oil,
2) instantly remove any sludge or varnish deposits.
3) cause all worn off metal to spontaneously plate back on to all parts, so as to leave you with, in effect, a brand new engine.
wink.gif
cheers3.gif

Mobil 1 has always been a rip off here in Oz. I'd rather buy GC from performancelub.com

I agree, the EDGE 5W30 is alot better value for money for the average beater.

I buy M1 10W-30 at Supercheap. On special, it is approx $80 so $104.99 is pretty expensive. Like you say, for some reason the 0W-40 is always more expensive.

As a comparison, you can buy AMSOIL AMO 10W-40 including postage for $AU 76 per 5L and that is guaranteed 100% PAO ...

Ouch!!!! $80.00 AUD equals approximately $70.80 USD/CDN. Walmart in Edmonton currently sells 5L jugs of Mobil 1 (all grades) for $32.99, or $37.28 CDN. I guess that’s just the price you have to pay if you want to live in Nirvana. This really makes the $18.47 I recently payed for 5 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum seem like the deal of the century.

Yuk,
for comparison purposes, Delo400 is $33 for 5 litres. Valvoline Engine Armour $29. Penz Long Life $33.

I remember when 15W-50 M1 was $27, and we used to blend it with Duckhams 15W-50 which was $9.99...15 years ago.

I have given up on Mobil 1 because it is too expensive and in my opinion poor value. I now use Castrol Edge 5W-30 in my 2 Toyotas at one third of the price of Mobil. I know my engines will not suffer with the Castrol.
Roger

Sprintman - I tried to get Energy 5W-30 a year or so ago without success and I e-mailed Caltex to find out where I could get it. Their reply was that it was discontinued. Never seen it at all on my travels.
Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back