New wheels and tires on my wife's car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno. In some ways driving with a spare tire is like driving with a spare transmission. Or spare anything else.

On a long trip a friend once drove over something and popped not one but two tires. First on impact, second about 10 miles down the road when it lost enough air (rim damage on both wheels).

In 15 years my wife and I have driven over 650kmiles, and the only two flat tires were self inflicted in my own driveway.

Now I will go out and have four flat tires...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
RFTs are also only good for up to 50 miles once they've been punctured. So if you're further away from home or shop than this, you will be calling a tow truck anyway unless you have a spare with you.

Very good point!
If you live in part of the country where I am, and you decide to go on road trip, trust me, there is NOTHNG sometime for miles and miles and miles. On top of that, my wife's family lives in Las vegas, so good luck driving on I-70 and finding tire shop in UT.

CANNOT go wrong with CHes on a Bimmer!
thumbsup2.gif
wink.gif

I wonder what they would look like in a charcoal/comp grey color on that white car?? (I'd bet pretty darned GREAT!)

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
CANNOT go wrong with CHes on a Bimmer!
thumbsup2.gif
wink.gif

I wonder what they would look like in a charcoal/comp grey color on that white car?? (I'd bet pretty darned GREAT!)

dailydriver, not the color combo you were referring to, but here's my charcoal grey BMW enjoying a sunny California afternoon on the driverway...

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Pesca, another thing to remember. I think TPMS are an effective middle ground in a car with non-RFTs and no spare. IMO, the most common situation is when you have a tire slowly deflate with the nail still inside. The TPMS would alert you to the situation early on. You could periodically refill with air (if you have the Comfort Kit), and/or lower your driving speed or destination to better accommodate the tire situation.

Said another way, I would NOT want to drive a car without a spare tire if it did not have TPMS. A car with TPMS provides sufficient protection for everything but immediate and total tire failure.

Know what I'm saying?

Scott

Yes, it means I have to buy the Comfort kit
grin.gif
. Kidding.
That is probably the way I will choose too.

Looking at the BMW spare kit, I noticed that there was no point of having one of my summer wheel in the trunk since I don't have something to lift the car
spankme2.gif
... and of course, I went with the useless wheel at Costco yesterday
09.gif

Thanks for all the good advices
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back