Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on our E90 BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
The track worthy Bridgestone RE-11s that were on it were getting a bit thin and needed replacement. They were getting a bit harsh on pavement seams and noisy at low speeds. Thought I'd try a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Wheels are BBS CH 19x8.5 35mm offset in front, 19x9.5 40mm offset in the rear. Tires are 235/35 front, 255/35 rear.

The P4S is not the brutal track performer that the RE-11s were, but they are still highly capable. Although I'm giving up ultimate dry road grip, the P4S is about 5 pounds lighter per tire than the RE-11, which is a difference that can be felt.

FWIW,

Scott

IMG_1773 2.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

I am not sure why would you use RE11 on 328i?
I would say PS4S is much better tire for that car.
Also, 5lbs is not uncommon difference between Bridgestone and Michelin. One thing I hate about Bridgestone's is weight. I have no idea why they cannot reduce weight in their tires, but they are noticeably heavier than competition.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Run-flats?

No sir. I do this.

Scott

Doesn't E90 have enough space under for donut?

Nope. I have similar setup in my E90 as well.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Run-flats?

No sir. I do this.

Scott

Better than my old pilot PSS's by far on my heavy sled. Much better traction in all conditions and allegedly longer life!

They even ride better...

Originally Posted by drtyler
Nope. I have similar setup in my E90 as well.

Run-flats?

No sir. I do this.

Scott

Well, I used similar set up in X5 due to 7 seats. Had spare in trunk, except in E70 I could position it vertically on a side.
But though there would be enough space under that carpet as I am probably getting E90 next year as my toy. But whatever, trunk will do
smile.gif

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Better than my old pilot PSS's by far on my heavy sled. Much better traction in all conditions and allegedly longer life!

They even ride better...

For a tire to be better than PSS is true achievement.

They even ride better...

For a tire to be better than PSS is true achievement.

The Pilot Super Sports (PSS) were not a huge success and by nearly all accounts were worse than the PS2s that preceded it. Supposedly Michelin "made it right" with the introduction of the PS4S.

Why did I have RE-11s on a 328i? For braking and cornering. I live in an area with fantastic driving roads. Desolate roads. Beautiful roads. Smooth roads. Gorgeous scenery. And perfect weather. I've always prioritized handling over horsepower. It's not that I dislike high horsepower - who doesn't - it's just that my style of car has always been a handling machine rather than a drag race machine.

Although the RE-11s are a great tire, the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires I have on my E46 330Ci are INSANE. My E46 has a dead stock motor but has a heavily modified suspension and brakes. The handling and braking of my E46 is dizzying, literally so. Look at that outer rib on the CUP 2 tire! When the tires get hot they pick up every piece of loose debris on the road. If I pull off on a dirt shoulder when they're hot, small stones cover the tread like you'd see on a road racing slick. As you can see, even with the PS4S being a "maximum performance summer tire" there is a huge difference between it and the Cup 2s.

Scott

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

Originally Posted by The Critic
Nice pick.

Now where are all of the Altima RT43 fanboys?

Hopefully nowhere to be found in a thread about performance tires.

Scott,

I had PSS on CC, and it was ridiculous tire in wet. Even at 3/32 it was cutting water like crazy, and handling was beyond any normal limit.
Once I get myself E90 or something like that I will probably go for PS4S, so we will see. No doubt they are better than PSS.
As for Bridgestone, their weight always was thing that pushed me away from them.

Scott,

I had PSS on CC, and it was ridiculous tire in wet. Even at 3/32 it was cutting water like crazy, and handling was beyond any normal limit.
Once I get myself E90 or something like that I will probably go for PS4S, so we will see. No doubt they are better than PSS.
As for Bridgestone, their weight always was thing that pushed me away from them.

edyvw, I agree about Bridgestones being heavy. I almost always buy Michelin, but always considered Bridgestone a good second choice. Those RE-11s, although heavy, they had fantastic grip and razor sharp turn in. That tire was serious stuff.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Have you tried Bridgestone's S-04 Pole Position? Their counterpart to Michelin's PSS/PS4S

Never tried the S04s. See above.

Scott

Scott,

edyvw, I agree about Bridgestones being heavy. I almost always buy Michelin, but always considered Bridgestone a good second choice. Those RE-11s, although heavy, they had fantastic grip and razor sharp turn in. That tire was serious stuff.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Have you tried Bridgestone's S-04 Pole Position? Their counterpart to Michelin's PSS/PS4S

Never tried the S04s. See above.

Scott

I don't doubt that.
I had Potenza's in Europe (though not that performance category) and they were always serious tires. However, since mentioned that, do not know how was RE11, but all Potenza's I had needed some serious time to warm up.
I agree, Bridgestone is top notch manufacturer, there is no doubt there.

One of the first things I noticed about the PS4's is they work well even in colder temps. If they last 30k miles they may be the cheapest per mile tire out there in this category.

One of the first things I noticed about the PS4's is they work well even in colder temps. If they last 30k miles they may be the cheapest per mile tire out there in this category.

That is good to know as I want summer performance tire on Tiguan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back