New vehicle

I'd never buy a "new" new vehicle. If you are looking for ride, comfort, durability, pretty decent fuel mileage, and something that will go 400,000 miles with proper maintenance, look for a Ford product built on the Panther platform; Lincoln Town Car, Mercury Marquis, or Ford 500. I've owned a lot of different cars during the last 63 years, the last 5 of which have been Lincoln Town Cars. They've just been the best of the best~!
A Ford 500 isn't a Panther, it's a FWD (or optional AWD) unibody platform. Crown Vics, MGM/Marauders, and Town Cars were the only Panthers. They are pretty good cars, and among the last of the old-school USA RWD big iron. For a V8 RWD, ~25 MPG is pretty tough to beat, and they are pretty durable. Otherwise, why would the PDs STILL be using them as cruisers to this day? Last fleet ones were made in 2011, so the newest ones are 12-13 years old now.

Way back when, Brett Kepner would fly into a town, rent a Crown Vic/Grand Marquis and bracket race it anywhere he could while in town. Claims to have won a lot. But he only rented those cars.

Consistency of vehicle, couldn’t break them, show as dog less so it wouldn’t spin the tires.

The more you know.

With the issue(s) being more tied to quality control at assembly and at the parts suppliers than anything else. I own 2020 F150.

However, all this still adversely impact the quality of the product.
If the company culture embraces excellence, it is incumbent upon them to get the details right, and make sure that the final product reflects nothing less.

However, all this still adversely impact the quality of the product.
If the company culture embraces excellence, it is incumbent upon them to get the details right, and make sure that the final product reflects nothing less.
I don't think that any assembler cheaps out on these things because they don't care, since repeat business as well as word of mouth to other potential buyers determines their future market share.
I suspect they just look away and hope for the best.
It isn't just Ford doing this. There are others as well. I will not names, but I think we all know who they are.

I may be sarcastic here.

Ford for 400K miles, no way.
I have a friend with 2015 Fusion.
Around 100K miles beginning of 2021, something broke on the fuel solenoid something, fix more than $1000.
The end of last year, not sure of the mileage, the transmission gave up, cost more than $4000 to fix.
He does not have the $ and the car got towed due to parking it and not moving it in an apt complex.
It is more expensive to fix it so he let it go to auction by the car impound.

It is only one experience but I am sure it is not the only one.
I didn’t have a problem keeping my Ford Edge going. Stopping, that was the problem.

I saw a really nice (Panther) Crown Vic a few day's ago. They do exist in this rust free retirement heaven. Unfortunately they're a pretty big car for modern times.

I also saw three circa 1955 Crown Victorias at a local car show last week. Handsome cars for sure, especially with a continental kit. In my opinion they're nicer than the Panther version, and a more useful size.

I don't think that any assembler cheaps out on these things because they don't care, since repeat business as well as word of mouth to other potential buyers determines their future market share.
I suspect they just look away and hope for the best.
It isn't just Ford doing this. There are others as well. I will not names, but I think we all know who they are.

I tend to agree with the statement in bold.
However, still does not bode well if the objective is a satisfied customer.

With the issue(s) being more tied to quality control at assembly and at the parts suppliers than anything else. I own 2020 F150.
Wait a minute! How'd I wind up with something newer than you!?!?

The world must be ending, or someplace south just froze over.

:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: CKN
I used to like vehicles, Now I detest them.
I've lost a bit of love myself. See them as a tool, a means to an end. The last few days I've sat back while driving, kept my speed to something sane, watched the traffic flow by, and was like... why am I doing this?

Used to love driving, the idea of going places. Hoping this is just a phase. Now it's just thinking about cost and time. And wondering when the next expensive repair will come around. When I was a teen one didn't think about the future, only the now.

The only way to get a daily driver to 400,000 up here is to either drive it a ton before it rusts out, or buy a rust free example 10+ hours away and then drive it before it starts returning to the earth.

The only way to get a daily driver to 400,000 up here is to either drive it a ton before it rusts out, or buy a rust free example 10+ hours away and then drive it before it starts returning to the earth.
Yep, I'm almost wondering if it's worthwhile to do any oil undercoating going forward--if I keep my miles over 25k/yr, maybe more, will it be worth it? [I'll probably still do so but not sweat over it anymore.]

Wait a minute! How'd I wind up with something newer than you!?!?

The world must be ending, or someplace south just froze over.

:ROFLMAO:
Because even a 2020 F 150 Lariat
PXL_20220927_191827100.MP.jpg
a year ago wasn't cheap! Only 26,000 miles when purchased.

I've lost a bit of love myself. See them as a tool, a means to an end. The last few days I've sat back while driving, kept my speed to something sane, watched the traffic flow by, and was like... why am I doing this?

Used to love driving, the idea of going places. Hoping this is just a phase. Now it's just thinking about cost and time. And wondering when the next expensive repair will come around. When I was a teen one didn't think about the future, only the now.
There's something to this. I think the current Golf GTI and Golf R are great. I drove a new one a couple of days ago. It's really the only car I'd consider right now. I just think it's a great combination of fun and reasonable fuel economy. I cover a stupid amount of miles in my current one. A big inefficient vehicle which is what the panther unfortunately is at this point is just not attractive to me. It's not good on fuel and it's not fun to drive. It is extremely comfortable though.

Yeah no kidding, is anything cheap now? Even the beaters are ridiculous priced, that's why I gave up and went (nearly) new.
My last was certified pre-owned last year. Sometimes it makes more sense to buy new. Just depends on the car, but it does seem like value starts dropping pretty bad with some used vehicles.

There's something to this. I think the current Golf GTI and Golf R are great. I drove a new one a couple of days ago. It's really the only car I'd consider right now. I just think it's a great combination of fun and reasonable fuel economy. I cover a stupid amount of miles in my current one. A big inefficient vehicle which is what the panther unfortunately is at this point is just not attractive to me. It's not good on fuel and it's not fun to drive. It is extremely comfortable though.
Yeah, I'm kinda questioning my Corolla purchase--yes I knew it would be boring going in. But somehow it's more boring than a Camry? I think it's because I slowed down for the mpg's, and now it's like... ok, now what? oh wait, that's mile marker going by, like I haven't seen that one every day, for the last twenty years... oh look, another one, looks like the last one...

My last was certified pre-owned last year. Sometimes it makes more sense to buy new. Just depends on the car, but it does seem like value starts dropping pretty bad with some used vehicles.
Absolutely. I did not intend to buy a 2 (3?) year old vehicle going in, I just wanted to test drive what I knew was close enough. I got suckered into playing the numbers game, and the feeling of going home in something 20+ years newer than what I went in with. Used Toyota isn't a value, they don't depreciate enough.

Emotion. Check that at the door before playing on the car lots.

The trends are pretty obvious. Back when Ford, Chevrolet, the whole GM bucket, Chrysler, etc, were making gas guzzlers, they had a good track record. Then when the gas crisis hit, the Japanese over took them and left them in the dust by some 10-20 years! Then when the 90's came around and they were barely catching up, the Japanese did another punch to the gut, HYBRIDS.

American makes are jumping on the EV bandwagon because they have been left in the dust in pretty much everything except V8's which no one wants nor can afford. Problem is, its kind of obvious where the EV train is going and how its going to derail, since the infrastructure isn't there, the power grid isn't there, and the electrical prices aren't there, and the range isn't there...Heck...making an EV takes more slave labor and emissions to produce than a gas car generates!

Once solid state hits the market (Honda/Toyota patents for 25 years) either these makes like Ford/GM will recieve more bail outs like they always do, or maybe the Gov will finally cut them lose and take the L.

Still dreaming here....and it has to do with being a car enthusiast imho.

If GM comes out with a refreshed Tahoe in 2025 that still has a V8 that supposedly gets redesigned to be more efficient, why not just jump off that cliff and get it (as a GM owner I have experienced the below average reliability and poor dealer network and attitude)...or it's Escalade sibling...we only live once. I've written off the CX90--the cargo space simply doesn't cut it for something so expensive....

I still want a V8 non turbo in an SUV. The LS430 was my first 8 cyl ever, and I'll hold on to it forever....

Back