New vehicle finish. Is there really a sealant out

Status
Not open for further replies.
coatings are the way to go for long term piece of mind....but the cost isn't going to be cheap...nu finish isn't the best option imo for long term paint care...although this is just one mans opinion...ALOT of good suggestions in this thread to take advantage of...

So much B*** S*** in this thread. NuFinish is not abrasive and is a polymer sealant. It will not harm clear coat in any way. This truck is 20 years old and has had over 40 applications(every spring and fall) of NuFinish in its life and the paint is mint:

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
So much B*** S*** in this thread. NuFinish is not abrasive and is a polymer sealant. It will not harm clear coat in any way. This truck is 20 years old and has had over 40 applications(every spring and fall) of NuFinish in its life and the paint is mint:

Nice looking PU! Very well maintained from the looks of it!

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Isn't polymer a fancy (re: scientific) way to say plastic?

No, hair is a polymer, as is silk, cellulose, Rubber, etc.

Plastic is a type of polymer. All plastics are polymers, not all polymers are plastic.

Last edited:
Fargo_322.jpg

Last edited:
As already mentioned, coatings are going to offer the most protection possible.

Our dad has a 2006 Tundra, and travels and works at glass plants around the country, so the truck is outside 24/7. I have used sealants in the past, usually applied them once or twice a year. Have used Zaino and Duragloss, then, a couple of years ago, I put on the Optimum coating, eventually topping that with some Optiseal.
Our dad says he looks forward to rain now, the rain washes off the dust, and he says it is like having a car wash.

If you don't want to go with a coating, and just want a sealant, I suggest the Optimum Optiseal and Car Wax. My brother has a 1997 Civic, which was too old to worry about a coating, he said. Used Optiseal and Car Wax instead. Before using them was using Duragloss, and before that tried Finish Kare. Even with using the Duragloss, the front bumper was starting to oxidize and fade along the top of it in spots. Using the Optiseal and Car Wax, they helped darken the color and really sealed the bumper. I can tell they are really protecting the bumper because the oxidation seems to be halted and it hasn't gone back to what it looked before applying the Optimum.

On the last new car I purchased, I applied Zaino. It's a polymer based treatment that requires that you "mix up a batch" before application. It's somewhat labor intensive the first time. First I washed the car with Dawn dishwashing detergent to strip any dealer applied wax. Then clay barred the surface. Washed again with Dawn. Then, 2 coats of Zaino applied about 24 hours apart. Figure it as a weekend project.
My car is now more than 6 years old. It is garaged at night and has a car cover on it during the day to protect it from the SouCal sun. I'm lazy and have only reapplied Zaino every 2 years, it should have gotten a treatment yearly. The car gets hand washed only, no commercial car washes ever. And it looks great and I get regular complements about how new it looks (other than the impossible to avoid tiny rock chips here and there). Good stuff and I will use it without hesitation on my next new car.

Ditch the Nufinish. Get a quality wax and clay, polish and wax every 6 months. Clear coat should last much longer than 8 years.

Yes, probably, but not worth the extra expense and time given the marginal improvement over conscientious car care.

I think that there are a lot of good wax/sealants out there. The main limitations are ease of use, price and availability.

I like the Collinite paste wax in my cooler climate. I have a machine, so it's easy. I notice that people in warmer climates like the two part Duragloss product. Both fairly priced.

I haven't had to use any kind of abrasive so far in over 4 years using the "Garry Dean" method with rinseless washes. The thing I like is you can wash your car at night in the garage. Very handy.

Originally Posted By: Rocko1
Ditch the Nufinish. Get a quality wax and clay, polish and wax every 6 months. Clear coat should last much longer than 8 years.

NuFuinish is a quality sealant/wax and out lasts just about anything on the market.

NuFuinish is a quality sealant/wax and out lasts just about anything on the market.

You will have to excuse us who don't share your opinion.

Originally Posted By: FastEddie

Exactly. Keep using Nufinish, I won't touch it with a 10' pole. Reminds me of
mrt-tr3.png

Don't really want to get into the Nu finish war, but doesn't it leave a white stain on the black rubber and plastic?

Plenty of good sealants don't these days so if true, that would be a good practical reason to try something else.

You're excused but you are wrong. There has been a ton of threads on this forum and others that show how well it protects and its durability. It is a top notch product and has a long consistent track record. I've been a professional detailer since 1993 and have used everything on the market. Yes there are better products overall but nothing as durable or for pure protection.

Last edited:

Exactly. Keep using Nufinish, I won't touch it with a 10' pole. Reminds me of
mrt-tr3.png

LOL. Your loss.

You're excused but you are wrong. There has been a ton of threads on this forum and others that show how well it protects and its durability. It is a top notch product and has a long consistent track record. I've been a professional detailer since 1993 and have used everything on the market. Yes there are better products overall but nothing as durable or for pure protection.

+1. Nu Finish may not leave the most shine but it's protection is top notch. Also, if your car stays out in the elements like mine does it won't last a year. I try and put a fresh coat on every 6 months.

Last edited:

Well that's your opinion. If I feel nufiish is [censored], as do MANY others, it's our opinion. I think Nufinish is a mediocre product and I've tested it over and over again on Tow Trucks we don't car about (obviously) against the competition. It's mediocre at best and that's my opinion.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Don't really want to get into the Nu finish war, but doesn't it leave a white stain on the black rubber and plastic?

Plenty of good sealants don't these days so if true, that would be a good practical reason to try something else.

Yes it does and yes there are plenty of quality products you don't have to worry about that with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back