New vehicle finish. Is there really a sealant out

Status
Not open for further replies.
New vehicle finish. Is there really a sealant out there that works?

I’ve had the clear coat finish die on my 2001 Silverado and 2008 Civic. I always maintain the finished by washing and waxing (I’m a Nufinish fan, BTW). So with the potential purchase of a new vehicle coming up, I ask you all, is there any kind of sealant that we can purchase and put on our vehicles that will REALLY protect the clear coat finish?

And, no, I would not buy one of those dealers’ sealant jobs that claim to protect.

Put 3 coats of FK1000P on it. Best I've found yet. Give 12 hours between coats.

I apply at night in a garage and buff off in the morning. Do that 3 times. You're done for a year.

I used Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant. I applied two coats a week apart and I'm very happy with the results. I applied it in late October and it is holding up fine.

Nope.....once you drive it out of the dealership it's down hill all the way.........best to start drinking...
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
10.gif
10.gif

A sealant isnt going to protect like you want. Sounds like you are looking for a coating, look into gloss coat or its competition.

Doesnt nufinish have some sort of abriasive/polishing agents to help remove oxidation? If so, no wonder your clear failed.

Im loving CQuartzUK.

Garage should be your primary protectant. Second to that, I have found Rejex to be one of the longest lasting paint sealants on the market. Will realistically last about 5 to 6 months. It is my preference for a daily driver.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Doesnt nufinish have some sort of abriasive/polishing agents to help remove oxidation? If so, no wonder your clear failed.

Im loving CQuartzUK.

Yes, NuFinish is abrasive and TERRIBLE for paint in the long term. It is a polish, not a wax.

Originally Posted By: f355spider
Garage should be your primary protectant. Second to that, I have found Rejex to be one of the longest lasting paint sealants on the market. Will realistically last about 5 to 6 months. It is my preference for a daily driver.

Rejex is very good. And there's nothing better than a garage!

Collinite is a really good blend of a wax/sealant that lasts a long, long time. I usually do that 2x a year and have never had any issues. I also use Meguiars M26 every so often when I am going someplace I want to show off my car's shine. Never had a clearcoat fail on me doing this.

I agree with Doog and f355spider... Just accept the reality of your car. It is used outdoors and the best solution to keeping your paint awesome is to keep it in a garage best you can.

Of course, you must always wash and wax it. In my 20 years of waxes in the beginning I used to use just Meguiars All-In-One, but then moved to NuFinish. Both were highly rated by Consumer Reports in the mid-90's. But now products are so much easier, faster to use and cheaper. I also wised up and devoted my arm energy toward polish instead of wax/polish.

Currently for the average joe, minimum I recommend is wash/wax soap + followed by wax-as-u-dry during rinse. Ideally I recommend at least a solid coat of wax to get the most out of that requirement.

For those wanting more, then at least clay prior to the coat of wax. If that car stays in the sun, I've become iffy about polishing out the entire car to perfection stratch free. Good news, in my experience is most people are happy with clay+wax. They are not trying to win a competition, they just don't want the clear coat to peel.

Now for myself, with how easy wax has become to apply instead of longevity, I wax frequently and lightly. It doesn't take long to wax (1 hour total for two cars) and I consider it a workout. The results are better in the long run. I never expected the paint to be so thick feeling and wet and this is on two nearly 15 year old cars. Yes they are garaged and are parked in a structure at work.

Last edited:
As mentioned above you need to look into coatings not sealants. The best ones are applied, after serious preparation, by certified shops that have attended a course and are certified by the coating manufacturer.

This involves serious money but five years + durability is becoming the norm with the best coatings out there. Research & do your homework with detailers in your area or within a reasonable distance that offer coatings.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Put 3 coats of FK1000P on it. Best I've found yet. Give 12 hours between coats.

I apply at night in a garage and buff off in the morning. Do that 3 times. You're done for a year.

I am getting 6 months out of this stuff with one even coat. Vehicle is always parked outside in the Florida sun. Have not found anything yet that is better and as easy to work with.

Duragloss is my go to. For a new paint job you can use their 111 Clear Coat Polish. It says polish but it is non abrasive. If you need very very mild corrective abilities later, the TPP from them (105) is the one to get.

I have tried Finish Kare and Collinite and while they are great products, the Duragloss gave me better protection longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back