New Vehicle Break-in

Status
Not open for further replies.
When is it the best time do change the oil and filter in a new car ( 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT / RS ) during break-in period , would it be the first 1000 - 1500 , then again 1500 more miles and wait till I hit around 5000 to switch to synthetic which would most likely be Mobil 1( or what oil would be best )..
What do you think , advice please !

Thanks in advance ..

Last edited:
This is quite a controversial topic, but for my new vehicle I'm changing oil at 750 km (~500 miles), then again at 1,500 km (~1,000 miles) and again at 5,000 km (~3,000 miles) when I will switch to Mobil 1.

my father just went 10,000 miles on FF on his his 2L accord engine... was severe service too! I would have changed at 5000 but i'm sure his engine will outlive the car.

Originally Posted By: lwrnccst
When is it the best time do change the oil and filter in a new car ( 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT / RS ) during break-in period , would it be the first 1000 - 1500 , then again 1500 more miles and wait till I hit around 5000 to switch to synthetic which would most likely be Mobil 1( or what oil would be best )..

Thanks in advance ..

Sounds like a good plan. Opinions vary, and many cars last a very long time w/o a formal break in and early OCI. I always changed mile out early, it made me feel I was getting break-in metals out early. Good luck with the ride!

Originally Posted By: mitchcoyote
What you have in mind is a good plan... 10,000 miles on factory fill is simply foolish...

when's the last time you tried to tell your old man that you know better? it was like talking to a wall...

Originally Posted By: crinkles
my father just went 10,000 miles on FF on his his 2L accord engine... was severe service too! I would have changed at 5000 but i'm sure his engine will outlive the car.

That's actually the norm back in the UK. You drive a vehicle off the lot, and it's due for service at 10,000 miles or 1 year.

GM vehicles, especially the V-8's, tend to spit out a LOT of break in metal. I'd do several short changes (ie, under 3k) before going to a synthetic on these engines. Honda's/Toyota's simply don't spit out as much break-in metal.

This isn't a 'dis' against GM engines, I just feel it is a fact, supported by several OUA's here....

About 3,000 miles is a good average number. The oil filter is there for engine protection. I certainly do not want to flush out all the assembly lubricant's and or break-in additives that the manufacture puts in.

Here's what I like to do.... Change FF @ 3k and then again @ ~6k and 10k. Then @ 10k switch to synthetic and sample @ 5k for a base line.

Originally Posted By: lwrnccst

Thanks in advance ..

lwrnccst,

I just bought a new 08' Impala SS and plan to use the oil change indicator allot. When it reaches close to zero that's when I'll change out the oil. I might even change over to M1 before my ritual one year passes by first.

Durango

I bought a 2000 Harley F150 new in February of 2001, drove it off the lot with 78 miles on it, drove 300 miles home and changed the oil with Mobil 1 5w20 and have ran M1 5w20 ever since, the truck has 156K on it now and runs like new still, but it does burn a quart of oil every 5K or so

Break-in is simply not needed. You can easily go to the first specified interval with no ill effects. The engine will still outlast your desire to keep the car.

Engines are much better made and the lubricants are much better.

If you really would loose sleep over it, wait until 3,000 miles.

I'm chainging mine at 100 KM, 250 KM, 500 KM, 1000 KM, and then settle into a regular oil change interval after that.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'd rather spend an extra 200 bucks on oil and filters for the first few weeks of driving, rather than 10 grand on a new engine and turbos again :)

Originally Posted By: RyanGTR
I'm chainging mine at 100 KM, 250 KM, 500 KM, 1000 KM, and then settle into a regular oil change interval after that.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'd rather spend an extra 200 bucks on oil and filters for the first few weeks of driving, rather than 10 grand on a new engine and turbos again :)

Go for it! I did 2 early OCI's on my Ranger when it was new, then made the change to synthetic oil. There really is no right or wrong way, based on what I've read here. For every engine that lasted a long service life w/o breaking it in and changing the oil early, there is one that lasted just as long with a break in and early changes.

I think the engines are built better and cleaner, but I still think they shed a lot of metal early on, and the OCI's prove that. I want that junk out ASAP. JMO

Originally Posted By: Eddie
About 3,000 miles is a good average number. The oil filter is there for engine protection. I certainly do not want to flush out all the assembly lubricant's and or break-in additives that the manufacture puts in.

Very few mfg's use a break in oil or break in additives these days. There are a few( Honda still dooes I believe at least in some engines )but the majority use regular oil. For the average dailr driver street engine special break in oils and additives are not neccesary, Assembly lube yes, but that is just to protect vital surfaces( cam bearings & Lobes, crank bearings, etc... )until fuill oil flow is achieved to all areas.

Last edited:
Honda Owner Link website stated that a new car comes with special oil because the engine needs to develop proper wear so they recommend to leave the oil as long as.... check the schedule in the manual :D

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Originally Posted By: RyanGTR

Go for it! I did 2 early OCI's on my Ranger when it was new, then made the change to synthetic oil. There really is no right or wrong way, based on what I've read here. For every engine that lasted a long service life w/o breaking it in and changing the oil early, there is one that lasted just as long with a break in and early changes.

I think the engines are built better and cleaner, but I still think they shed a lot of metal early on, and the OCI's prove that. I want that junk out ASAP. JMO

Totally agree. I can't hurt anything by changing the oil multiple times in the first thousand kilometers, but if it keeps even a few metal particles from circulating in the engine longer than they need to, then it's a good thing.

FWIW, when I drained the oil out of my first rebuild after about 250 KM's I strained the oil with a fine paper filter and it really suprised me how much debris came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back