New UPF64R Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like GM has made some changes to the UPF64R filter. The color is now black, and the ADBV appears to be nitrile instead of silicone, and the bypass valve has been revised to the nylon poppet style. Also, the part number has changed from 12674698 to 12699847.

Perhaps 53' Stude will get his hands on one soon and do a C&P for us.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I bet they need to get the price down to get dealers to stop sticking PF64s on GM SGE cars.

Bulletin is two years old and they still are putting the wrong filter on them.

Originally Posted by PolarisX
I bet they need to get the price down to get dealers to stop sticking PF64s on GM SGE cars.

Bulletin is two years old and they still are putting the wrong filter on them.

They should've given it a different part number, something that doesn't have 64 in it

I see A/C Delco has gone back to the original black painted filter exterior with the gold sticker on their Ultraguard filters...are the inside materials that much poorer performers???...

Bill

Back when the ACD Ultraguard Gold filter started out, they were quite a filter. They used full synthetic media (UPF52), very good/high efficiency rating. They were a black can, but somewhat oddly did use a nitrile adbv.

I got no problem with the nylon poppet type bypass with metal coil spring. Switching from silicone to nitrile adbv, while likely good enough is a cheapening of the filter imo. As recently discussed many GM have thread end up orientation, so 'perhaps' not as critical. Majority ACDelco OFs have long used nitrile adbv.

I called a local dealership last week to get a price on the UPF64R ($15) and the parts guy told me they just put a PF64 on when doing service. I grabbed a Napa Gold instead after he said that.

The UPF64R is a much heavier filter. Looking at the shipping weight on Amazon (since i don't have either in my hands), the weights of filters that are "the same size"...

- AC Delco UPF64R = 11.2 oz
- AC Delco PF48E = 6.4 oz

Looks like same design ChampLabs has been using for Ultraguard except for the paint-job and the type of PRV. Used to have the PRV that was part of the steel end plate of the element.

Also, "black rubber" doesn't nec. mean it's basic nitrile. There are several different rubber materials and trade names that are basic black in color. Many of the additives that make a better gasket do not have a color. And lot of companies will simply use a bright color to market their material as "superior" when often it's not even a special rubber at all. The orange silicone is only orange because of an iron oxide pigment they put in it. Imported orange silicones typically look a little pink and have a nasty scent (VOCs they're allowed to used there in Communist China and they expect the VOC's to dissipate during the cruise across the pond). And sometimes gaskets are coated in a colored talc or teflon. All marketing.

But I imagine if GM were prescribing something "special" in their rubber parts in the filter, they'd market it on the box or something.

The nitrile ADBV's in my PF63E filters are shiny and flexible after 5k … always holding back oil in the galleries

Nitrile has many industrial applications

Despite the might be, can be, could be speculation, until proven otherwise I'll stick with topic filter change from orange silicone adbv to most common form posted this subforum, black nitrile adbv as OP observed.

Originally Posted by DudeNiceRide
The UPF64R is a much heavier filter. Looking at the shipping weight on Amazon (since i don't have either in my hands), the weights of filters that are "the same size"...

- AC Delco UPF64R = 11.2 oz
- AC Delco PF48E = 6.4 oz

Looks like same design ChampLabs has been using for Ultraguard except for the paint-job and the type of PRV. Used to have the PRV that was part of the steel end plate of the element.

I posted cut open pics of an Amsoil Ea15K50 (PF64 equivalent) and when I cut the threaded portion off, it is very heavy. Like they took a solid piece of steel and used that for the plate. The AC Delco PF64 (new version with e-core) is significantly lighter and uses a 2 piece metal flange/cage for the oil flow holes. I have no idea why they needed such a thick piece of steel for that plate. But looking at the UPF64R construction it looks very similar to the Amsoil and I bet that is where the weight is found.

Originally Posted by Bighorn2500
I called a local dealership last week to get a price on the UPF64R ($15) and the parts guy told me they just put a PF64 on when doing service. I grabbed a Napa Gold instead after he said that.

Print a copy of this and drop it off to your parts guy.

---

GM CUSTOMER CARE & AFTERSALES URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY

DATE 02/25/2016 SUBJECT Oil Filter Usage MODELS 2016 Buick Encore, Chevrolet, Malibu, Cruze, Spark, & Volt Equipped with Engine RPOs LE2, LV7, LFV and L3A TO All Chevrolet, Buick, & GMC Dealers ATTN Parts Managers, Service Managers, Service Technicians and Fleet Service and Part Managers

The new small gas engines launched in the 2016 vehicles use oil filter P/N 12667194.

This P/N has been superseded to P/N12670058, then superseded to P/N12674698 (AC Delco UPF64R).

If this part number is unavailable you can use oil filter P/N 12640445 (AC Delco PF64) until stock becomes available for the P/N12667194 - P/N12670058 - P/N12674698 oil filter (AC Delco UPF64R).

Thank you for your cooperation.

END OF MESSAGE GM CUSTOMER CARE & AFTERSALES

Originally Posted by silversport
traditionally the outer case is thicker steel and the burst strength is way up on the PF64 if that's important...

Bill

meaning the UPF64R has higher burst strength...re reading this I didn't want it to be confusing

Bill

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PolarisX

The new small gas engines launched in the 2016 vehicles use oil filter P/N 12667194.

This P/N has been superseded to P/N12670058, then superseded to P/N12674698 (AC Delco UPF64R).

Per some technical sales people in the biz, this is how I understood the design ancestry to flow:

12667194 ==> 12670058 ==> 12674698

These are all increasing levels of pressure pulse durability (heavier construction), and all made by Champ labs.

12667194 is similar to the UltraGuard UPF48R, but with a higher PRV.
12670058 is slightly heavier construction than previous.
12674698 is slightly heavier construction than previous.

1269947 is same construction as -4698 but they [1] swapped the silicone check valve for a black rubber check valve (likely some grade of nitrile) and [2] changed to the plastic poppet style PRV.

Why on earth does a small gas engine need such a BEEFED UP filter? I'm guessing the lubrication system got some upgrades (bigger pump?) and doing more work (variable displacement).

2019 and 2020 Chevrolet Malibu owner manuals still call for the PF64 on the 1.5L and 2.0L turbo 4-cyl engines, no mention of UPF64R for these smaller engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back