New truck. Oil and filter suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Traded in my 4 cylinder Toyota Tacoma (4 speed auto) for a Nissan Frontier 4.0 liter V6 (so I didn't have to manually downshift to third on almost every little highway hill.)

What are folks liking for oil and oil filters for these?

Thanks!
RR

Great choice, BTW. I love mine. I've been running Mobil Super 5000 with a Purolator Classic clone. I haven't run any UOA's, but the one I remember seeing in the past that used conventional in this engine was very good. I'm also doing 5,000 mile OCI's. I just rolled 40,000 problem free miles on mine.

Originally Posted By: K20FA5
Great choice, BTW. I love mine. I've been running Mobil Super 5000 with a Purolator Classic clone. I haven't run any UOA's, but the one I remember seeing in the past that used conventional in this engine was very good. I'm also doing 5,000 mile OCI's. I just rolled 40,000 problem free miles on mine.

Thanks. I really like it so far. (Especially not having to punch the throttle hard to kick down a gear and then have it keep trying to constantly get back into overdrive while I'm still going up the hill, making me slow down again, like my previous truck.) I might go Puro then. It will be a while before it needs changed, but I thought I'd get some input now.

As far as the owner's manual says, yeah, guys, I know all about owner's manuals and the MM Act, just trying to get some useful suggestions. Thank's for posting though.

OEM says (for my 2010) SM or better conventional 5W-30 changed every 3,750 for severe duty or every 7,500 for normal duty. It states that you can use a syn, but you must still follow the recommended OCIs. For oil filters it says an OEM is best or equivalent.

Like I said, I've been changing at 5k since my style is somewhere between normal and severe LOL.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
use what the om says

It doesn't suggest brands.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
It doesn't suggest brands.

That is because like all vehicles, it was built to a specification and any oil meet that specification regardless of brand will generally suit you fine.

Well I got one brand suggestion out of all this. I was hoping a few owners would pop up saying "mine sounds great on such and such (brand, weight synthetic or conventional), and the UOAs look great..."

I guess most of the advice I got on here is just use any oil that is spec'ed in the OM, and of course I already know all that, being somewhat of a veteran member here, and an oil nerd from way back. Thanks for trying though.

Wasn't what I was looking for, but the advice was free so no complaints. I'll just ask on the Frontier Forums.

cheers,
RR

Well I got one brand suggestion out of all this. I was hoping a few owners would pop up saying "mine sounds great on such and such (brand, weight synthetic or conventional), and the UOAs look great..."

I guess most of the advice I got on here is just use any oil that is spec'ed in the OM, and of course I already know all that, being somewhat of a veteran member here, and an oil nerd from way back. Thanks for trying though.

Wasn't what I was looking for, but the advice was free so no complaints. I'll just ask on the Frontier Forums.

cheers,
RR

Actually there was two brands suggested, Mobil 5000 and PYB.

Traded in my 4 cylinder Toyota Tacoma (4 speed auto) for a Nissan Frontier 4.0 liter V6 (so I didn't have to manually downshift to third on almost every little highway hill.)

What are folks liking for oil and oil filters for these?

Thanks!
RR

Mobil 1 in what ever grade is recommended for your climate and a high quality oil filter, we use Wix in our shop. OE is also good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back