new Toro personal pace mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Johnny
I use nothing but Scotts Fertilizer.

A bit OT here, but while on the subject of fertilizing our grass up north, I've read a few places that only recommend fertilizing the grass in the Fall. Is that how you do it?

Yeah Pete,we know you just want it to grow more so you can enjoy your new Toro!!
grin2.gif

Just FYI,

Every grass has an ideal height range to be cut at. There is no one size fits all. You should find out what grass you have and cut it at its ideal height.

My St Augustine in Houston really thrived on 4", and stayed greener and took less water than any lawn around mine. It had been cut at 2", same as all my neighbors, for a while, because I did not know any better, and the weeds were worse and another type of grass invaded, one whose ideal height was 2"...

I cut my grass here in California at about 2.5", because that is where it gets good and thick and takes less water to stay green. I've not figured out what it is yet, so it is just a best guess. At 4", I was not even cutting the majority of it, and even at 3", it was still looking a bit scraggly. At 2", it was taking a lot more water to keep it green.

For those with Toro mowers who are not mulching, I urge you to give it a try. The Toros are tops when it comes to mulching, and even with thick St Augustine, you could not see the trimmings except on the sidewalk, where they were shreded to about 1/5 the size of the original blade.

If you are bagging your grass, you are bagging your fertilizer as well. You can get by with far less chemical help if you mulch, and that is always a good thing.

I also use organic fertilisers. I feel that they are better for the environment and better for the grass. They can be cheap as well, if you are willing to do the research as to what they actually are, usually animal feed...

Originally Posted By: VaderSS
You should find out what grass you have

How would I find that out? It's a new house so I have no one to ask.

Originally Posted By: VaderSS
You should find out what grass you have

How would I find that out? It's a new house so I have no one to ask.

Pete,did your contractor plant the grass?? Is any grass planted yet? If the builder planted the grass you could possibly find out from them what type it is.

Last edited:
Well, yeah, the grass was planted last year. The builder just hired some company to do it. Unfortunately, it is impossible to get a hold of them.

The guy that mows my neighbor's yard (which has the same type of grass since our houses were built by the same builder) cuts it to about 3", so for now I'm doing the same so that there is no visible height difference where our properties meet.

Last edited:
Well, yeah, the grass was planted last year. The builder just hired some company to do it. Unfortunately, it is impossible to get a hold of them.

The guy that mows my neighbor's yard (which has the same type of grass since our houses were built by the same builder) cuts it to about 3", so for now I'm doing the same so that there is no visible height difference where our properties meet.

Oh I see,...well then Im not sure what to suggest.

Last edited:
Ask you neighbor what type grass it is. You might also be able to take a picture of the grass up close & post it here. Third option would be to take some to your county co-op extension office, if you have that up there.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Ask you neighbor what type grass it is. You might also be able to take a picture of the grass up close & post it here.

Neighbor knows less than I do on this subject.

Does this image help at all?

Ask you neighbor what type grass it is. You might also be able to take a picture of the grass up close & post it here.

Yes... you have a yard full of tall fescue. Tall fescue likes to be mowed high, especially in times of drought. 3 inches all year around, or 3.5 to 4 inches in the really hot summer months.

I have that same grass in my yard and the old Lawn Boy is set at its highest setting, somewhere between 3-3.5 inches. I wish I knew who gave names to things like what type of grass do you have. I don't know, but tall "fescue" sound dirty to me.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I have that same grass in my yard and the old Lawn Boy is set at its highest setting, somewhere between 3-3.5 inches. I wish I knew who gave names to things like what type of grass do you have. I don't know, but tall "fescue" sound dirty to me.
grin2.gif

But yet once again Johnny,you da-man!!
grin2.gif

...and the correct height for bermuda?

Significantly shorter.

The pros think around 0.5" - 1.5". (higher makes it look leggy and susceptible to disease)

Here is a thread discussing bermuda mowing height at lawnsite.com. Lawnsite is the BITOG of lawn care. Its mostly professional lawn care operators, with a few homeowners hanging out there too. Just be careful if you ask them questions about pesticide application - its legal for unlicensed homeowners, but not legal for unlicensed pro/paid applicators. For that reason, they're a bit suspicious on the pesticide forum.

Northern Lawn mow at 3 inches. (Rye, Fescue, Kentucky Blue) Mulching provides organic matter and feeds the beneficial worms and microbes.

Get a good soil test done. The kind you have to send to a lab, not the ones sold in the stores. I am not against synthetic fertilizer. My soil is very low in Phosphorus and I am using Starter fertilizer all this year to help get it up.

I use A&L Great Lakes Lab for my soil test.

Last edited:
ksJoe,

Thanks for the link. I took away that 3" down to 1" dependant somewhat on terrain with several folks saying 1-1.5" but not a consensus, even depends some on the type of bermuda. I'm going to raise it from 1.75" to 2.25". We'll see how it goes. I'm really not that into my yard.

Originally Posted By: zulu

Yes... you have a yard full of tall fescue. Tall fescue likes to be mowed high, especially in times of drought. 3 inches all year around, or 3.5 to 4 inches in the really hot summer months.

UPDATE: So, I call up the guy who supposedly did the lawn at our house, to double check on the type of grass. He says that I have Kentucky Bluegrass.

But honestly, when I look at pictures on different grass bags, my grass looks more like tall fescue than Kentucky Bluegrass. Is that landscaping guy confused judging by the picture I posted?

Pictures can be deceiving, but I also think that Zulu nailed it. If you zoom on your picture, a few uncut leaf tips are very narrow and pointed. Bluegrass has a more blunt leaf tip, often called boat shaped in the plant keys.

Here is an excellent turfgrass key from Purdue. Click on various functions to bring up different pictures. When looking at a specific specie, drag the arrow down on the right.

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tool/index.html

Gotta love the internet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back