new Toro personal pace mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Automatic choke. Used to be very common. Not sure why it went away. Seems like the little butterfly and spring would be cheaper than the primer assembly.

Originally Posted By: VaderSS
Automatic choke. Used to be very common. Not sure why it went away. Seems like the little butterfly and spring would be cheaper than the primer assembly.

It's an EPA thing. I've witnessed the lesser talented sort run a pushmower for seasons with a stuck choke. Puffing smoke, running like poop, stinking like gas..etc.. They'll eventually toss it to the curb and get a new one.

Joel

Yes and not only that,after the rubber on the bulb dries out and cracks apart.Then you have another problem.This has personal happened to one of my mom`s mowers.An old Craftsman Eager-1 with the tecumseh engine.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

Yes and not only that,after the rubber on the bulb dries out and cracks apart.Then you have another problem.This has personal happened to one of my mom`s mowers.An old Craftsman Eager-1 with the tecumseh engine.

I've had to replace that bulb a few times on older mowers. Not a big deal.

Last edited:
Looks like the Toro mowers are on sale right now at HD (at least on-line, but when I called the store, they said they'd match their on-line price). So, you can get a 20334 for the price of 20332 basically. I might just buy one this weekend.

I've had to replace that bulb a few times on older mowers. Not a big deal.

Right-O, a cpl bucks and 2 seconds worth of work. I've had to replace a few oldies myself. The latest was handed to my by my 3yr/old. "Here daddy.. this came off the snowblower"...
spankme2.gif

Joel

Are you guys talking about that clear-through bubble that you press with your finger to circulate fuel prior to engine start? I've got one of those on a 2-cycle leaf-blower.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Looks like the Toro mowers are on sale right now at HD (at least on-line, but when I called the store, they said they'd match their on-line price). So, you can get a 20334 for the price of 20332 basically. I might just buy one this weekend.

Are the Toro's sold at HD the same as at the Toro dealers?
I know HD has a lot of items made just for them from major companies and the quality isn't the same.

The 20333 is the one with blade override, while the 20334 is the one with electric start. Still contemplating which feature is more useful... both cost the same.

Udpate: ended up buying the 20333 model. Filled the engine with the provided oil... having problem reading the oil level on the dipstick.
LOL.gif

Udpate: ended up buying the 20333 model. Filled the engine with the provided oil... having problem reading the oil level on the dipstick.
LOL.gif

Pete,ya think thats bad.My engine is making some kind of valve noise.
smirk2.gif

Well, in my case, after the mower sat overnight, I was able to read the level quite OK the next day. It'll be another week before I fire it up the first time though.

thats odd because I could read my oil level just fine. I will say it was a little difficult to read because of the clear oil. Another thing,My factory oil sheared down like water. And was all grey! I have GC in it now,and its getting grey again. Still breaking in I suppose.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Another thing,My factory oil sheared down like water. And was all grey! I have GC in it now,and its getting grey again. Still breaking in I suppose.

There's a user here - benjamming - who did several UOAs on his Toro with the same B&S engine. He used the factory oil a few times, then switched to Amsoil 10w-30, and then his engine suffered a catastrophic failure. It was determined to be a result of a manufacturing defect, not oil-related.

Anyway, he also mentioned that the oil becomes grey. I think it's just the fact that these engines have no oil filters that makes it harder on the oil.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Oil filter or not doesn't make the engine harder on the oil, it makes the oil harder on the engine. :)

hey benjamming,what happened to your motor?? what were the symptoms (if any)

Since these lower priced engines run on bare aluminum cylinder, I think that the 'gray' comes from microscopic aluminum sluffing off during break in.

Two Honda engines, one's mine, hasn't turned gray at all.
(second season).

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Since these lower priced engines run on bare aluminum cylinder, I think that the 'gray' comes from microscopic aluminum sluffing off during break in.

Two Honda engines, one's mine, hasn't turned gray at all.
(second season).

Wow,I thought they had a liner(in the cylinder)for longevity?

Anyway, he also mentioned that the oil becomes grey. I think it's just the fact that these engines have no oil filters that makes it harder on the oil.

My 20057 has a filter...

My 20057 has a filter...

That's great. Unfortunately the newer ones that I and lexus114 have, don't. Warranty period has also been shortened to 3 years. I believe yours had a 5-year warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back