new Toro personal pace mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lexus114
then I`ll go with my GC.Although it says in the manual that 5W-30 synthetic is good for all temps. Do you guy`s think maybe I would be better off using PP in it instead?

I forgot to add, if I end up buying it, I will use GC in it. Heck, if I could add GC to my salad, I would.

I bought one of these mowers a couple of years back. I use straight-weight DELO 30 in it as spec'd by the manual and it runs great and clean. OCI is once a year, based on maybe 25 hours of use. Why pick a multigrade? If I was going to obsess, I'd be more worried about fuel gunking up over the winter because of the ethanol.

Last edited:
"Only the Super Bagger series uses Honda engines" Hey Pete,nobody seems to care for the B&S engine.I personally never really had any trouble with them.Except for when I screwed up my dads Sears back in the 70`s.The screw on the air filter box came loose on me while mowing. I ran over it,and we couldnt find the screw to put it back on,so we ran it like that.Well,you can all imagine what happened to that poor 8hp B&S motor after that.It smoked so bad,I had to use straight STP oil treatment in it.

I have the 20057 Super Recycler with the B&S 6.5 engine that has an oil filter and personal pace. I am running Amsoil's small engine oil in it.

LOVE the mower. Way overkill for my new lawn though. My Houston lawn w/ St Augustine would eat almost an entire tank of gas, but the mower would never bog down once. I've mowed my California yard 4 times so far on the same tank, LOL. I love how it shreds the grass clippings so you can't even see them.

I posted a review of it here;
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=969681&fpart=2

I've had the Toro personal pace,electric start,self propelled 20058 for 3 years and use Amsoil's 10w30 small engine oil.
These Toro's are great machines.Suzuki engines?
I had a Honda for 13 years and the motor was still going.I gave it to my son and it's still running.I wanted a new mower and read the Honda's weren't as good as previous models so went with the Toro.I love the electric start.

Yeah,I`m surprised how nice the key start is on a push mower.My old neighbor when i still lived at home 0ver 30 years ago,had a Toro self propelled,key start mower.I borrowed it a few times,and the battery was always almost dead,so i had to charge it first every time
smirk2.gif

The 20058 uses a B&S sidevalve engine. Taken care of, it will probably last 20+ years in typical lawn service.

I really struggled with the choice of the 57(OHV w/filter) or 58(electric start and blade clutch) at the time, but am happy with the 57. My fiance has zero trouble starting it and I love seeing the clean oil drain at the end of the season. My ONLY issue with it is no blade clutch, which I feel should have been included at this price point.

Originally Posted By: VaderSS
The 20058 uses a B&S sidevalve engine. Taken care of, it will probably last 20+ years in typical lawn service.

I really struggled with the choice of the 57(OHV w/filter) or 58(electric start and blade clutch) at the time, but am happy with the 57. My fiance has zero trouble starting it and I love seeing the clean oil drain at the end of the season. My ONLY issue with it is no blade clutch, which I feel should have been included at this price point.

I know,my 20334 model doesnt have the blade shut off. the 20333/20332 I believe do.

Originally Posted By: jaj
Why pick a multigrade?

Because my last mow, usually in November, is generally in the 30 degree range. Start-up/warm-up go MUCH better!

Plus, it seems the add pack in the typical syn works well with air cooled engines.

Mine burns much less with 0W-40 than with straight 30.

Yeah,I`m surprised how nice the key start is on a push mower.My old neighbor when i still lived at home 0ver 30 years ago,had a Toro self propelled,key start mower.I borrowed it a few times,and the battery was always almost dead,so i had to charge it first every time
smirk2.gif

I charge the batter in Spring before the first use and the charge lasts through the mowing season.
Been that way for 3 years now.

Is the manual recoil start really that bad on these Toro mowers? I wasn't planning on getting the electric start model because I don't want to deal with the battery thing.

I have the '05 model 20058 (250000001-250999999)and I thought I read it had a Suzuki motor but you're probably right.
The '06 20058(260000001-260999999) has some different part numbers.
Maybe that one has the B&S engine.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Is the manual recoil start really that bad on these Toro mowers? I wasn't planning on getting the electric start model because I don't want to deal with the battery thing.

Nah,just heigt of lazyness
grin2.gif
and the battery is nothing bad at all to deal with.I like the look on my neighbor`s face when i hit the key,and fire her up....priceless!
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt
I have the '05 model 20058 (250000001-250999999)and I thought I read it had a Suzuki motor but you're probably right.

According to Toro Product Information Center, both model years (2005 and 2006) use the B&S engine.

grin2.gif
and the battery is nothing bad at all to deal with.I like the look on my neighbor`s face when i hit the key,and fire her up....priceless!
LOL.gif

So, do they also have the manual recoil (as backup), in case the battery is dead?

Originally Posted By: Colt

According to Toro Product Information Center, both model years (2005 and 2006) use the B&S engine.

Great!
You can't get hurt with a B&S.

grin2.gif
LOL.gif

So, do they also have the manual recoil (as backup), in case the battery is dead?

Yes.
Haven't used it since I owned my machine,though.

No. It usually starts on the first easy crank. Always starts on the second. All it takes is a gentle tug. None of that yanking and pulling your arm out, UNLESS, you forgot to hit the primer button.

Without prime on the first cold start, it will never start. My fiance's dad found that one out. I think he was just trying to get out of mowing the lawn... "It's your turn to mow the lawn." "I can't, I pulled my shoulder last time I tried." "You never hit the primer..." "Can't risk it."

No. It usually starts on the first easy crank. Always starts on the second. All it takes is a gentle tug. None of that yanking and pulling your arm out, UNLESS, you forgot to hit the primer button.

Without prime on the first cold start, it will never start. My fiance's dad found that one out. I think he was just trying to get out of mowing the lawn... "It's your turn to mow the lawn." "I can't, I pulled my shoulder last time I tried." "You never hit the primer..." "Can't risk it."

Thats another thing i like about this mower very much.no choke/prime needed!! its some how automatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back