new Toro personal pace mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GF bought one last week during Home Depot's 10% off sale which ends today. We got the $350 model for $315. Easy to assemble and the sucker fired on the first pull of my arthritic shoulder. The oil that came with it was 30wt. I dont like the Briggs either, but a 3 year warranty eased the pain somewhat. The bagger is real easy to use according to her son who mows for her. Didn't realize it was a rear drive self propel. Guess I will try it out for myself to see if it is the cat meow so to speak. Personally I gave up on Briggs engines. The last three I had had carb problems and only worked properly for a couple of years. The last mower I bought for my property was a Yard Machines from HD with China made OHV engine, made by who knows, but it starts and runs like a champ. Very easy on fuel. Will run about 4 hours on a tank which seem to be about 2 qts. Anyone know who makes the motor?

Originally Posted By: Hermann
The GF bought one last week during Home Depot's 10% off sale which ends today. We got the $350 model for $315. Easy to assemble and the sucker fired on the first pull of my arthritic shoulder. The oil that came with it was 30wt. I dont like the Briggs either, but a 3 year warranty eased the pain somewhat. The bagger is real easy to use according to her son who mows for her. Didn't realize it was a rear drive self propel. Guess I will try it out for myself to see if it is the cat meow so to speak. Personally I gave up on Briggs engines. The last three I had had carb problems and only worked properly for a couple of years. The last mower I bought for my property was a Yard Machines from HD with China made OHV engine, made by who knows, but it starts and runs like a champ. Very easy on fuel. Will run about 4 hours on a tank which seem to be about 2 qts. Anyone know who makes the motor?

I know what you mean re; those made in China (Honda replica) engines.I have a horizontal shaft 5.5hp pressure washer from Lowes,and it`s over head valve.It works like a champ,a little hard to start some times though.Other than that it`s great! and real easy on fuel to.As far as the Briggs motors,I personally don`t have any trouble with them.

Finally fired up my 20333 last night for the first time. It was running a bit rough for the first 30 seconds or so, but was fine later.

I ended up running over some small utility flags (those with thin metal rods) - it was a bit dark. Hopefully I didn't ruin the blade on the first run... lol.

Also, I underestimated the amount of grass clippings... I only did half of the lot, and already filled up a 32 gal trash can. Gotta get another one... or stop cutting the grass so short. Right now I have it set at 2-1/2" cutting height, which is the middle setting. I know it's a personal preference, but what setting do you guys usually use?

I think mine is on 3. But I mulch (not bag) and it does a terrific job!! Hey Pete,I dont know if you read my other post,but the drive system is sealed/no maintenance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Just tried the mulching... actually works much better than I expected... I think I will do that from now on. Thanks guys.

your lawn will look much better as well
thumbsup2.gif
right now our lawn looks like a green carpet.(of course scotts helps to im sure)

Originally Posted By: lexus114

Why would it look better? I actually thought just the opposite... the mulched grass will eventually dry up and will show as whitish stuff underneath the live grass... i'd prefer black soil under the grass.

Actually the Toro's do a great job of mulching. The mulch is not like thatch or dead blown grass. It's so fine that it blends back in to the ground and supplies nitrogen for your lawn.

After the snow melts, I set my mower on the second lowest setting, and use the bag. From then on I mulch raising my mower one notch every time I mow. I now have it on the highest setting which is about 3.5 inches and the lawn looks like green carpet. When fall arrives and the grass stops growing I set the mower about half way down and bag every time I mow until the first snow. Then I wait until spring and start all over again. I use nothing but Scotts Fertilizer.

3 inches is a safe number for all grasses all year round. Northern grasses can benefit from a bit taller in the heat of the summer then back to 2.5-3 for the winter. Southern grasses do fine anywhere between 2-3 inches.

I just moved my Toro from 3 to 3.5 for the summer months. My yard is a mix of fescue, kbg, and perennial rye. Always mulch or side discharge. Too much yard (3/4 acre) to bag.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

Why would it look better? I actually thought just the opposite... the mulched grass will eventually dry up and will show as whitish stuff underneath the live grass... i'd prefer black soil under the grass.

You acutally want a bit of clippings protecting the soil. It acts as an insulator preventing moisture loss in the sun and holds heat in in the winter. Clippings 1 inch or less will quickly compost as they are 80% water. Thatch buildup only occurs with poor watering/fertilizing/mowing techinques. Too much fertilizer, not enough water, and infrequent mowing is a recipie for thatch.

Originally Posted By: cordeen
This morning I ordered a Toro 20068 from http://www.wisesales.com It's a 2008 model with the blade override and electric start. The 2009 models offer one or the other, but not both.

You will like it!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I use nothing but Scotts Fertilizer.

A bit OT here, but while on the subject of fertilizing our grass up north, I've read a few places that only recommend fertilizing the grass in the Fall. Is that how you do it?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I use nothing but Scotts Fertilizer.

A bit OT here, but while on the subject of fertilizing our grass up north, I've read a few places that only recommend fertilizing the grass in the Fall. Is that how you do it?

If you are only going to fertilize once during the year, in the fall is the best time. Lawn stores nutrients for the winter and prepares it for the next growing season. Ideally, you should be fertilizing every 8 weeks or so, which equates to 3-4 times per year depending on how long your growing seasons are.

For northern KS, I fertilize in early spring, mid-late spring, early summer, and mid fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back