New tool thread

Impulse buy to better organize some tools in my basement. Under $60 on Amazon. Torin ANTBD133-XB.

71+xtSslwzL._AC_SL1471_.jpg

I actually owe less than I did when I walked in the truck today lol. My goal is to keep the balance lower each visit than what I started with. Eventually will pay it off but that’s not easy when you are a mechanic like me and love tools.
Buy nothing unless it's an absolute necessity, until you owe nothing. They only buy what you can pay for.

Bad spending habits. Start a good mindset of spending now.

Your only trip to the truck should be to pay off.

Stop the debt. It's not a good deal if you go in debt for it.

"Only pay for what you need" lol.

Buy nothing unless it's an absolute necessity, until you owe nothing. They only buy what you can pay for.

Good advice. When it comes to tools or impulse buys, I follow this rule I made for myself decades ago. If I have to borrow money to buy it, I shouldn't be buying it. That simple rule kept me out of debt, and trouble.

He needs at least 7 new pairs of socks every week, else he has to do laundry! 😁

Sorry @AutoMechanic I just had to say that!

Lets add up all the gas and tires wasted driving 100 mph, wasted on too heavy of a vehicle, unnecessary driving to places, wasted at Starbucks, on alcohol, whatever, and have a look at AM‘s tab to compare it. At least he has tools that are worth quite a lot of the original cost, especially Snap On. I bet his tab is lower than other tabs people totally waste money on. For some reason wasting gas seems to have some kind of immunity to talk about it or something. Apparently wasting expensive gas is a badge of honor almost. To me its very funny to see autobahn pics going 200 km/hr when gas in Germany is what price again? This means Germans are really really smart? 😃
Just to take the other side of things.
I would like to find out where to buy those best socks in the world though. I throw mine away when they get a hole. After I wear with the hole quite awhile of course. Sometimes I turn the hole a bit to the side. I was actually thinking of doing something constructive on the internet like learn how to darn socks.

Lets add up all the gas and tires wasted driving 100 mph, wasted on too heavy of a vehicle, unnecessary driving to places, wasted at Starbucks, on alcohol, whatever, and have a look at AM‘s tab to compare it. At least he has tools that are worth quite a lot of the original cost, especially Snap On. I bet his tab is lower than other tabs people totally waste money on. For some reason wasting gas seems to have some kind of immunity to talk about it or something. Apparently wasting expensive gas is a badge of honor almost. To me its very funny to see autobahn pics going 200 km/hr when gas in Germany is what price again? This means Germans are really really smart? 😃
Just to take the other side of things.
I would like to find out where to buy those best socks in the world though. I throw mine away when they get a hole. After I wear with the hole quite awhile of course. Sometimes I turn the hole a bit to the side. I was actually thinking of doing something constructive on the internet like learn how to darn socks.
I agree on that. Plus I need them to do my job. And they are useful. I can’t remember the name of the place that makes the socks for Snap-on. It says on the package they are out of Chattanooga TN and lists a P.O. Box but no company name. They are by far the most comfortable socks I have ever worn that’s why I buy so many and he usually tosses in a few pairs sometimes. They definitely are good for the winter because they are thick and keep you warm. I honestly don’t think they will ever wear out. People have them for sale on eBay but with a huge markup.

Oh and for those wondering my tab was at $1500 a few months ago now it’s at $660. Still high but not in the thousands now.

You don't have $660 to pay that off? 😯
I do. I just don’t want my parents to know how much I owe him 😂. I feel if I just keep making payments it will make it seem less to them. That’s why I make my regular payment extra which is $200 more than I actually have to give him plus a bunch of cash because then it’s not on my bank record. I only have to pay him $40 a week but I like doing extra.

I do. I just don’t want my parents to know how much I owe him 😂. I feel if I just keep making payments it will make it seem less to them. That’s why I make my regular payment extra which is $200 more than I actually have to give him plus a bunch of cash because then it’s not on my bank record. I only have to pay him $40 a week but I like doing extra.
We're calling your parents now. :ROFLMAO:

FA678025-B2DB-49B0-AC61-F63AFBB7716C.jpeg
47A2B349-9D1B-40E7-A3FB-60DCCCF81898.jpeg
91FA19FC-A2AD-44CA-9978-3597EDBFB5B1.jpeg

Some new to me tools. Hopefully won’t get denied warranty on the first one lol. Someone was not the smartest and used an impact on a chrome socket. If he does deny me warranty then no big deal. I don’t think he will care about the second socket as it’s just cracked. I won the bid on eBay for $6. Still something cool to have either way. Second picture of the awesome orange screwdrivers to match my box and cart the number 1 is bent probably used to pry something up or wedge underneath something. I don’t think I will have a problem getting that replaced. The last picture is a pawn shop find from today I done my regular fill up a box for $10 this was one of the first things I saw and only Snap-on thing i could find today. Not damaged. So if you see some new tools posted saying they are warranty replacement you know I had success lol. I might wait and do one at a time but then again I want them new shiny tools as soon as possible lol.

I've certainly been in that position when I was a young Mechanic with the roller coaster ride that is Flat Rate, Was in my late 20's before I had a good understanding how to budget my finances accordingly.
Fair enough, we have all been thru our own financial struggles. With that said, I think @AutoMechanic can do the same work with less expensive tools that do not require him to carry a balance.. or at least a smaller one.

Fair enough, we have all been thru our own financial struggles. With that said, I think @AutoMechanic can do the same work with less expensive tools that do not require him to carry a balance.. or at least a smaller one.
I’m starting to wonder who’s getting the best of who here. AutoMechanic keeps taking these old busted tools that he gets cheap on eBay or that he finds laying in a ditch somewhere to get warrantied. 🤔😂

I’m starting to wonder who’s getting the best of who here. AutoMechanic keeps taking these old busted tools that he gets cheap on eBay or that he finds laying in a ditch somewhere to get warrantied. 🤔😂
AutoMechanic is addicted to Snap-on tools, and the Snap-on dealer is addicted to AutoMechanics money. It's a symbiotic relationship. 🛠️

You don't have $660 to pay that off? 😯
I owe my snapon man more than that at the moment, but its interest free financing so if he is willing to let me carry it for no interest why not. I want the service my snapon man offers which is why he is usually my first call for a tool. Yeah, Amazon is cheaper but will Amazon run me a warranty replacement tap at 4pm on a saturday afternoon so I can finish a job? Nope, but my snapon man did just that yesterday

I owe my snapon man more than that at the moment, but its interest free financing so if he is willing to let me carry it for no interest why not. I want the service my snapon man offers which is why he is usually my first call for a tool. Yeah, Amazon is cheaper but will Amazon run me a warranty replacement tap at 4pm on a saturday afternoon so I can finish a job? Nope, but my snapon man did just that yesterday
I pay mine in cash and he usually gives me 15-25% off list.

What tool did you break on a Saturday afternoon that you did not have a spare for?

Back