New tool thread

I’m starting to wonder who’s getting the best of who here. AutoMechanic keeps taking these old busted tools that he gets cheap on eBay or that he finds laying in a ditch somewhere to get warrantied. 🤔😂
I can see AutoMechanic in a few short years owning two V12's like
@Astro14

The amount of wealth is staggering.

I do. I just don’t want my parents to know how much I owe him 😂. I feel if I just keep making payments it will make it seem less to them. That’s why I make my regular payment extra which is $200 more than I actually have to give him plus a bunch of cash because then it’s not on my bank record. I only have to pay him $40 a week but I like doing extra.
Not a dig, buy why do your parents care?

Not a dig, buy why do your parents care?
They just don’t want me to get in trouble with my money. I respect that but they seem to freak out every time I buy something without permission. I turn 20 this month I don’t think I need permission to buy stuff with my own money. Then they question me for days about what I bought and why. I think after my eBay shopping spree they finally stopped worrying so much about it because they got tired of telling me 😂. It’s like anytime I buy something at the store oh why are you getting that for? Do you really need it? I’m like yeah and if I’m buying it does it matter? I guess it’s because that’s the way they were raised too so they do it to me. I do have to say though when I was a kid I was all about saving money now tools are my weakness so I must have when I see and that leads to money being spent lol.

They just don’t want me to get in trouble with my money. I respect that but they seem to freak out every time I buy something without permission. I turn 20 this month I don’t think I need permission to buy stuff with my own money. Then they question me for days about what I bought and why. I think after my eBay shopping spree they finally stopped worrying so much about it because they got tired of telling me 😂. It’s like anytime I buy something at the store oh why are you getting that for? Do you really need it? I’m like yeah and if I’m buying it does it matter? I guess it’s because that’s the way they were raised too so they do it to me. I do have to say though when I was a kid I was all about saving money now tools are my weakness so I must have when I see and that leads to money being spent lol.
Just remember to save for a rainy day. Most guys do what you do at your age...
Just remember there is more to life than just tools and working.

I missed out on many things because i was taught you work, eat, and sleep.
Nothing more empowering than having a large nest egg for when you need it and not having to go through the banking system if something comes up.

You are pretty slick and I think you will get it sooner then later.

I get that but at 20 children don't need to ask permission, as they are not "children" any more. There are much worse things to be blowing money on than tools, that's for sure. Managing debt is something that people either do, don't do or eventually have to do. Lessons get learned one way or another. At 20 now is the time to start some small consistent investing (something like a Roth IRA) first, then after you've paid yourself, get a toy from the tool truck. The 50 or 60yr old you will benefit greatly from decisions made today.

I get that but at 20 children don't need to ask permission, as they are not "children" any more. There are much worse things to be blowing money on than tools, that's for sure. Managing debt is something that people either do, don't do or eventually have to do. Lessons get learned one way or another. At 20 now is the time to start some small consistent investing (something like a Roth IRA) first, then after you've paid yourself, get a toy from the tool truck. The 50 or 60yr old you will benefit greatly from decisions made today.
Yes I get retirement through my work. I currently have 5% going in. My plan is to raise it a bit each year. Especially with me working 50 hours a week I’m sure it is adding up quickly. A lot of the people I work with withdrew from it I think they are crazy but that’s just me. I definitely want to be retired by 50 if not then definitely by 60.

It sounds to me like you're parents are pretty smart and giving sound advice. I'd listen to them if I were you. I remember a few things my mother and I disagreed about when I was your age. Decades later I made it a point to tell her how right she was and I wrong I was for not listening. Don't make that mistake.

You can only lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink it.
URIDf5g.gif

A357E758-F474-475D-AF04-CEFDB8AEADEA.jpeg
D4010AC3-F198-4FB0-A55A-D55A52C39633.jpeg

Went to Rural King today. You didn’t think i would leave empty handed did you? Got a new pocket knife. My other one I’ve had since I was a kid got it as a prize from Boy Scouts for selling so much pop corn. It finally went dull and wore out. I have a razor blade knife at work already but you need a regular one sometimes too when the razor one isn’t strong enough. So I’ll bring the other one home and use this one. And then another tread depth gauge. We have to put tread depths for any car we do as part of a multipoint inspection and if you eyeball and it’s wrong for some reason they will pull you into the office and question you and ask did you really check the depths same with brakes and that’s never a good feeling lol. Plus with me hopefully becoming a state inspector soon it is important. The ones they gave us come out of calibration all the time and are just really cheap so after going thru three I said I’m just going to buy one. I have the same one at home actually two but I misplaced one at home haha but it’s around there somewhere.

I gotta say, buying tools is not the worst vice, but it can be as expensive as an opioid addiction! @P. Edward KnickKnack mentioned in a recent post (in not ao many words) that we all blow cash on frivolous things, but you will have tools to show for it at the end of the day. However, as @Zee09 mentioned, though, there is more to life than work. Also, I don't know how much ROI one could expect from multiple copies of the same tools, but it has to be way more than the ROI I will get from the martini I'm drinking right now! But we have to live a little... :)

They just don’t want me to get in trouble with my money.
Your folk's advice is spot on. As is most of what your friends are posting on this thread.
My dear friend Vernon used to tell me, "When enough people say horse, it's time to giddy-up..."
I used to be broke and homeless. Did some couch surfing; that was on the good days.

I learned the hard way. Don't be a knucklehead like me.
Having said that, I think you are way ahead of the game in many ways. At 20 I was hell bent on destruction; I admire how well you have done at such a young age.
Now at 20 my wife was putting herself through college working on a premed degree while working as many as 3 jobs... So there's that.
Keep punching @AutoMechanic !

Some new and some “new” to me.

Attachments

• 1F0081E4-2B5A-486B-8578-3609F414B8C4.jpeg
    1F0081E4-2B5A-486B-8578-3609F414B8C4.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 13651E06-AE1C-4956-AADC-F9D219B780A0.jpeg
    13651E06-AE1C-4956-AADC-F9D219B780A0.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 24013EE1-6F16-419F-9C76-46B5A3521CED.jpeg
    24013EE1-6F16-419F-9C76-46B5A3521CED.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 221B113D-DDED-4B71-9054-A0841E34456D.jpeg
    221B113D-DDED-4B71-9054-A0841E34456D.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 12
  • E2ABD82F-F530-4A30-8404-33B35C8048EB.jpeg
    E2ABD82F-F530-4A30-8404-33B35C8048EB.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 11
Do you still live at home? If so, maybe that is why they are trying to tell you to not spend so much money. My fiancé's son who will turn 20 in a few weeks spends every penny he makes and then asks to borrow money from his mom. He lives with his GF and they both live with some old woman who I don't think they pay rent to. He wants to get his own apartment but he can't save enough money to do so.

At least you are spending your money on tools that will help you in your career.

Back